Huge Gas Bill

13»

Comments

• @Johnnyboy5

Threads never close here so no need to ask for any special treatment.
  • Returning to this thread to update on results....

After 2 missed appointments, Eon's meter test contractors finally turned up in early November to take my meter away for test. Results received in December to confirm that the meter was indeed faulty, so faulty that a reasonable estimate couldn't be put on its inaccuracy.

The Ombudsman ruled that Eon should recalculate my bill based on 2016 usage, credit me £75 for the no show appointments and refund my £170 meter test fee, which Eon accepted. In summary, £3600 has been removed from my 2017 gas bill, leaving me £300 in credit.

Thanks to eveyone who contributed to this thread and especially stewie_griffin who pointed out that Siemens (Landis & Gyr) meters with serial numbers starting E6 were prone to faults.

What a relief and hopefully someone will find this thread useful, should they find themselves in a similar predicament in future.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for keeping us all up to date - so many people ask for assistance and then disappear into the ether.

Glad you've got it all sorted out
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Can anyone help please?
    I moved from Avro Energy to Bulb in January 2018 and supplied a final reading (having at last worked out how to take a reading on my 2011 Landis + Gyr Libra). The reading had jumped from 03511 to 35764, giving a bill of £10,551. (364,643.2 kwh) Help! Avro have given me 7 days to pay or they are threatening a debt collection agency. They will not listen to reason. What are my options?
    Many thanks.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you sure you read this meter correctly ?

Is there is decimal point between the 6 and 4 and your reading is 03576 (decimal point)4 in which case the reading you should give is 03576.

Take a photo and send it to customer service/ meter reads
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DAVIDPJ wrote: »
    Can anyone help please?
    I moved from Avro Energy to Bulb in January 2018 and supplied a final reading (having at last worked out how to take a reading on my 2011 Landis + Gyr Libra). The reading had jumped from 03511 to 35764, giving a bill of £10,551. (364,643.2 kwh) Help! Avro have given me 7 days to pay or they are threatening a debt collection agency. They will not listen to reason. What are my options?
    Many thanks.
    Looks like you got the reading wrong. Go back and read it again, this time checking for a decimal point.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    molerat wrote: »
    Looks like you got the reading wrong. Go back and read it again, this time checking for a decimal point.

I agree but the odd thing here is that reading validation process is supposed to 'fail' readings which are outwith the historical usage (Annual Quantity) for the property. Post Project Nexus, the database is updated each time a meter reading is provided; however, all suppliers have to get the reading validated first by the data collectors (often used by suppliers as an excuse for estimated billing) before it is used to update the database. That said, I concur that this is most probably a reading error (Occam's Razor).
  • BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 678
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2019 at 12:58PM
    Deleted - new thread started.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What was the reading on 4/3 and was it estimated?

What was your reading on 5/6 ?

PS Much easier to start a new thread - then the stories don't get confused
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 678
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    What was the reading on 4/3 and was it estimated?

What was your reading on 5/6 ?

PS Much easier to start a new thread - then the stories don't get confused
    Hi Robin yes I was just thinking the same and have started a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure