p60u

Options

Comments

• john240870
    john240870 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi thanks for the info I'll try and answer all the questions.
    I started reciving Esa on the 10th April 2015
    There response was we were only aware of your ESA on 24th March 2016. The letter I have from HMRC is dated January 2016 the heading is. This is to tell you your tax code(s) for the year 6 April 2016 to the 5 April 2017 and on it it says DWP (ESA) £0 of this income is tax free. So rightly or wrongly I assumed that my WAS was included. The first I heard that is was 23 May 2018. Many thanks
  • john240870
    Options
    jimmo wrote: »
    I really don't think you need to worry too much about forms P60u. That is a certificate of the amount of benefit paid in the previous tax year.

The reference to the p60u was to see if the DWP sent notification of it to the tax dept as i have all my p60u from DWP
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    john240870 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the info I'll try and answer all the questions.
    I started reciving Esa on the 10th April 2015
    There response was we were only aware of your ESA on 24th March 2016. The letter I have from HMRC is dated January 2016 the heading is. This is to tell you your tax code(s) for the year 6 April 2016 to the 5 April 2017 and on it it says DWP (ESA) £0 of this income is tax free. So rightly or wrongly I assumed that my WAS was included. The first I heard that is was 23 May 2018. Many thanks

So that coding notice is for tax year 2016-17 and takes account of your ESA.

But you were also getting ESA all through the tax year 2015-16 and it sounds like HMRC only found out about it right at the end of that tax year - too late to be collecting any tax via a tax code. So it is possible that you could owe tax for that year, depending on what your tax code was and what other income you had that year.
  • john240870
    edited 3 June 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    So that coding notice is for tax year 2016-17 and takes account of your ESA.

But you were also getting ESA all through the tax year 2015-16 and it sounds like HMRC only found out about it right at the end of that tax year - too late to be collecting any tax via a tax code. So it is possible that you could owe tax for that year, depending on what your tax code was and what other income you had that year.
    But that shows that they knew about my ESA in January 2016 if not before. (will find out if DWP can help tomorrow) So why has it taken till now to inform me
  • john240870
    Options
    After read online and the links that "jimmo" kindly gave. I believe that HMRC have 12 months after the end of the tax year to use info supplied to them. So lets use there dates they found out about my ESA on the 24 March 2016 for tax year 15/16 so they should of used the info or made me aware by March 2017 that there was a short fall. So if iam correct (probably not) I can ask for a
    Extra Statutory Concession!!!8217; (ESC) A19.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After read online and the links that "jimmo" kindly gave. I believe that HMRC have 12 months after the end of the tax year to use info supplied to them. So lets use there dates they found out about my ESA on the 24 March 2016 for tax year 15/16 so they should of used the info or made me aware by March 2017 that there was a short fall. So if iam correct (probably not) I can ask for a
    Extra Statutory Concession!!!8217; (ESC) A19.

I don't know, but I wonder if they could argue that even if they didn't know you were getting ESA, you did, and you should have checked your tax code to make sure that it was being taken account of, and to let them know if it didn't....

I presume that you had other income from somewhere during that year, as I don't think ESA by itself would total more than your tax allowance in normal circumstances, and so the fact that contributions based ESA is taxable wouldn't usually arise....
  • john240870
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I don't know, but I wonder if they could argue that even if they didn't know you were getting ESA, you did, and you should have checked your tax code to make sure that it was being taken account of, and to let them know if it didn't....

I presume that you had other income from somewhere during that year, as I don't think ESA by itself would total more than your tax allowance in normal circumstances, and so the fact that contributions based ESA is taxable wouldn't usually arise....
    Having received p60u from DWP and having a letter dated Jan 2016 from tax dept yes I did think i was paying the correct tax. And yes iam getting another income. Is it acceptable to take over 2 years to contact me about the arrears?
  • john240870
    Options
    DWP have confirmed that they have sent notification to HMRC each year of my Taxable benefits
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DWP have confirmed that they have sent notification to HMRC each year of my Taxable benefits

Do you think they actually checked your details? I suspect what the reply really means is that they automatically send everybody's details to HMRC, and that you are included in that.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you ever come across any posts by employees of HMRC you will see that they make it quite clear that WE have a responsibility to check that they have the correct info & that WE are the ones who will have to pay if they get it wrong & undercharge us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure