How do self-employed Personal Trainers pay taxes etc? How come they don't have LTD companies?

Hi there,

I am curious, how do self-employed Personal Trainers pay taxes etc? How come they don't have LTD companies?

You see contractors and other self-employed people usually setting up LTD companies but never seems to be the case with personal trainers.

So how do they pay taxes, declare their income etc? Or is it all cash in hand?

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I guess they all do an annual tax return like most other self employed people do.

Why are you thinking they need a Ltd Co??
  • Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    Sole Traders
    Limited Liability Partnerships
    Limited by Shares
    Limited by Guarantee
    Public Limited Company...

So many different business wrappers each offering varying levels of protection. Personal Trainers tend not to need that much "personal" protection and so off they go as sole traders, but anyone with significant assets would likely find themselves served by other mechanisms. Not all personal trainers are sole traders, some do have limited companies.

Self Employed people must maintain accounts that may be subject to review by HMRC at any point (up to seven years needs to be kept I believe). Additionally they must file Self Assessment tax forms every year to HMRC, after which the appropriate amount of tax is paid.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not a personal trainer and the main bulk of my income is from being self employed, however I am not a Ltd company but a sole trader. I trade as 'me' using my real name . I have no need of a Ltd company and just fill out a self assessment every year with a basic set of accounts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 8:11AM
    I am curious,
    rather sweeping generalisations
    how do self-employed Personal Trainers pay taxes etc?
    the same way as any other self employed person does, via a tax return. Surely you understood that?
    How come they don't have LTD companies?
    how many personal trainers do you know? do you know all of them?
    You see contractors and other self-employed people usually setting up LTD companies but never seems to be the case with personal trainers
    never? you'd be wrong with that as a statement then. The decision to incorporate is, at the most simplistic level, simply a case of crossing over a turnover value at which it is more tax efficient to be a company than a sole trader. Whether a personal trainer is intelligent enough to realise that, and therefore seek out professional advice on their options, is just another sweeping generalisation compared to the decision making qualities of any other self employed trader
    Or is it all cash in hand?
    obviously a personal trainer will mostly have the general public as their client and so will have a higher probability of being able to be paid cash in hand if that is how they wish to operate than, in contrast, an IT contractor dealing with a company client. However, a personal trader is no different in that respect to any plumber, electrician or other person dealing with the public, whether from inside or outside of a ltd Co wrapper.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was under the impression being a Ltd company was more tax efficient than a sole trader which is why most IT contractors do it, but is that not the case?

Never been a contractor myself so never really looked into it in much detail.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was under the impression being a Ltd company was more tax efficient than a sole trader which is why most IT contractors do it, but is that not the case?

Never been a contractor myself so never really looked into it in much detail.
    It depends. If your income from self-employment is small, then it's unlikely to be worth forming a ltd company. There is extra 'hassle' in terms of meeting legal requirements, for which most people would need - or at least benefit from - an accountant. These requirements don't end automatically: if you're 'just' self-employed it's easy enough to 'finish' but winding up a company is more complex.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Contractors are often "forced" by their contracts to be a Ltd company (or operate under an umbrella).

Personal trainers are simply "self employed". They register, they advertise for clients, they have expenses, they make money, they tot it up and do an annual tax return.

You have to pay to set up a Ltd company and there are all sorts of other costs and time deadlines (with big penalties) to get your accounts done on time... it's a huge extra money and time investment.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Contractors are often "forced" by their contracts to be a Ltd company (or operate under an umbrella).

Personal trainers are simply "self employed". They register, they advertise for clients, they have expenses, they make money, they tot it up and do an annual tax return.
    whilst your 1st point is valid, the decision to incorporate is a simple mathematical equation based on net tax cost and has nothing to do with the occupation of the person concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure