Stocks & Shares ISAs

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dl8860 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has any advice for me please.

I started investing in a passive tracker fund in December last year. This now has ~£2k in it. I am wondering if it is worthwhile putting this into a S&S ISA wrapper. If I don't plan to crystallise any of the investment in this tax year (before April 2019), is there any point? As long as I put it in to a wrapper before then, then any gains after that are free of CGT? And even then, will putting it into a wrapper count as crystallising it? So far I only have a gain of like £100 on it.

Side note, I plan to make full use of CGT allowance this year using other means.
    Transferring into an ISA (via Bed & ISA) does indeed crystallise any gains so leaving it longer potentially exposes you to a higher taxable gain. Dividends are also protected from tax within the ISA, which may make a difference, but your last comment obviously suggests a bigger picture needs to be considered rather than just this specific small investment, so looking at this in isolation may not be appropriate....
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bobby1000 wrote: »
    Hi, hoping that someone can help me. I have been looking online for a few days now and a bit stumped.

I am currently in a SAYE share scheme with my employer. I have opted for the three year scheme and it ends in July. I'm in a fortunate position that the share price has almost doubled.

In order to be as tax efficient as possible I want to transfer to an ISA - the Gov UK site states that in order not to pay any capital gains tax I need to transfer my shares within 90 days - however after contacting several investment providers non of them have told me that this service is available.

Can anyone help me on this? I am really new to this world so a bit stumped as to what to do...can anyone recommend any traders that they know offer this or how I actually do this!
    This thread from last year discussed a similar situation and the comment was made that most mainstream S&S ISA providers will accommodate this, which I'd interpret to mean the likes of Hargreaves Lansdown, Interactive Investor, Charles Stanley, AJ Bell, iWeb, x-o, etc - are these the sort of players you've been asking?

HL's online help doesn't readily answer this but (for example) II's does: https://help.ii.co.uk/system/templates/selfservice/ii/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/402800000001013/content/Auth-3833/Transferring-maturing-Sharesave-shares-into-your-ISA
  • dl8860
    dl8860 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Transferring into an ISA (via Bed & ISA) does indeed crystallise any gains so leaving it longer potentially exposes you to a higher taxable gain. Dividends are also protected from tax within the ISA, which may make a difference, but your last comment obviously suggests a bigger picture needs to be considered rather than just this specific small investment, so looking at this in isolation may not be appropriate....
    Thanks very much.

My last comment is due to a capital redistribution from dissolving my company, and is nothing to do with investments, hence I mentioned that my CGT allowance will be used up, but that's the only relevant info.

So if I left my current investment as it is now until after April 2019, and moved it then, the capital gains from crystallising would fall under next year's allowance, which I am almost certainly not going to use up.

However this would mean my £20k ISA allowance for this year will go unused. So perhaps I should leave the current investment as is, and start a new S&S ISA, and port the existing one over in April 2019.

Or I could stop quibbling over CGT on £100 and move it over now.

Does that sound like I have a grasp on it?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dl8860 wrote: »
    Thanks very much.

My last comment is due to a capital redistribution from dissolving my company, and is nothing to do with investments, hence I mentioned that my CGT allowance will be used up, but that's the only relevant info.

So if I left my current investment as it is now until after April 2019, and moved it then, the capital gains from crystallising would fall under next year's allowance, which I am almost certainly not going to use up.

However this would mean my £20k ISA allowance for this year will go unused. So perhaps I should leave the current investment as is, and start a new S&S ISA, and port the existing one over in April 2019.

Or I could stop quibbling over CGT on £100 and move it over now.

Does that sound like I have a grasp on it?

I can't see why you wouldn't just use the £20k ISA allowance now, no point adding more to an investment outside the ISA when you can start to reduce your liability now. Then move next year if required
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bobby1000
    bobby1000 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much, really appreciate your response
  • Super_Whiskey
    Options
    I'm looking at investing and putting in an initial deposit of a few hundred pounds and then topping this up monthly by about £50 or so.

I've had a look at the guide and done some other research and I like the look of Vanguard's platform but don't want to necessarily discount the 'do-it-for-me' options in the guide even though they are smaller entities.

I assume if I'm drip feeding money in this will be used to purchase funds which may incur a fund buying fee if the platform charges one?

If anyone has any advice in general that would be great!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy low, sell high.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    I'm looking at investing and putting in an initial deposit of a few hundred pounds and then topping this up monthly by about £50 or so.

I've had a look at the guide and done some other research and I like the look of Vanguard's platform but don't want to necessarily discount the 'do-it-for-me' options in the guide even though they are smaller entities.

I assume if I'm drip feeding money in this will be used to purchase funds which may incur a fund buying fee if the platform charges one?

By, "do-it-for-me", I assume you mean robo-advisers like Nutmeg. There really isn't much point in using them. They are an expensive way of buying into (effectively) multi-asset tracker funds. You would be better off paying the significantly lower costs of buying a single multi-asset fund, like Vanguard LifeStrategy, HSBC Global Strategy; L&G Multi Index, or Blackrock Consensus. To give a comparison, Nutmeg will charge you 1% to invest in their "Fixed Allocation Portfolio", which is not significantly different from any of the funds above, whereas Vanguard LifeStrategy (using Vanguard Investor) will cost 0.37%, and HSBC Global Strategy on Cavendish (cheapest option) will cost 0.45%. For every £1,000 invested, therefore, your costs would be:

Nutmeg = £10 p.a.
    Vanguard LifeStrategy = £3.70
    HSBC Global Strategy = £4.50

Nutmeg is, therefore, 2.7 times more expensive than the Vanguard option (2.2 times more expensive than HSBC), and delivers nothing particularly different.

As you like the look of the Vanguard platform - I assume you also like the look of the funds too - then this would be the cheapest way of doing things. All four of the funds mentioned above should deliver what you are looking for, and at a fraction of the cost of using a robo-adviser.

It depends on which platform you use as to whether you will be charged trading fees. Personally, as you are someone with a small amount invested/to invest, then I would avoid any platform that wants to charge you a trading fee (hang your head in shame AJ Bell). Go for a percentage fee platform. If you decide on the Vanguard fund then use their platform, as it is by far the cheapest at 0.15%. For alternative funds then I'd consider either Cavendish or Charles Stanley Direct. Both charge 0.25% platform fee, although Charles Stanley also charge £10 per holding to transfer out (which you may want to do to a cheaper option later).

If using Vanguard Investor then you can elect to pay your fees by quarterly direct debit (a much better arrangement than other platforms), whereas Cavendish and Charles Stanley will either sell some of your assets to cover the fees, or (a better, but still not great option) you can leave a cash float in the account to cover them.
  • Super_Whiskey
    Options
    Thank you for your detailed response.

I'll do a bit more research and I think I will end up going with the Vanguard Lifestrategy 60% fund.

I have seen a few offers for Nutmeg which mean you don't have to pay any management fees for X number of months however given that Vanguard is so much cheaper I doubt it would be worth the hassle to use the offer and then switch the fund over once it has ended.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your detailed response.

I'll do a bit more research and I think I will end up going with the Vanguard Lifestrategy 60% fund.

I have seen a few offers for Nutmeg which mean you don't have to pay any management fees for X number of months however given that Vanguard is so much cheaper I doubt it would be worth the hassle to use the offer and then switch the fund over once it has ended.

It could easily be the case that when the no-fee period end the fund will be down and you would then have the choice of selling at a loss to move to a different platform, or paying the higher fees until your investments return to profit. The no-fee offer is there for those taking a short term view, which is a terrible way to approach investment; investing needs a long term approach due to market volatility.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback