Land lord is charging for water from HIS leaking pipe

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the leak's not been fixed yet, where have the approximate 4500 (186 days x 23) cubic meters of water gone?
  • QuackNuts
    QuackNuts Posts: 44 Forumite
    Not got a date yet. The water has been leaching out through the ground and through the wall around the yard of another property, through their yard and into their neighbours field. The land lord had 'his man' dig a groove so that when it comes out of the wall it's channelled into a drain and he dug a ditch in the field to divert the flow into a culvert.
  • Mykidsmum
    Mykidsmum Posts: 29
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would report the leak to the water company and give them the Landlords details, phone number/address. He is the person receiving the bills for the lost water which he is trying to pass on to yourself. The water company may repair the leak free of charge.

If it is the landlords responsibility to repair the leak he will be given a notice to have it repaired within a set period of time. If it is not repaired within this time period the water co. will do the repair then bill the landlord for the cost of repairs.

Check the water company's website for their leakage code of practice.

If you do end up having to go to the County Court at least you will have evidence to support your claim that the high bills to yourself are not justified.

Good luck!
  • QuackNuts
    QuackNuts Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2018 at 3:24PM
    Update.

The mains water supplier have been "communicating" with the land owner and sent a plumber. The plumber was quite dismayed and said he wouldn't be digging the yard up by hand. So, it looks like the mains water supplier has to go through all the hoops again so they can dig. The land owner is obviously giving them the run-around. As at 31/07/18 and according to the land owners figures there have been 6.2 million litres of water through the leaking pipe since the middle of Dec.'17. That's enough for 16 standard 25m swimming pools.

We have a date for court..... and so the work done so far is going into version 3 then 4 etc.
  • Glad to say the pipe got fixed. As far as I'm aware it was done as an offer of goodwill by the mains water supplier and so my contribution to the repairs will be zero. Unfortunately over 12.5 million litres of water were wilfully wasted by the owner of the pipe, that's enough for 5 olympic sized swimming pools.

We went to court and the owner of the pipe thought his spoken word would be good enough. He had no evidence at all, so we have to go back next year when he's got his evidence together. I found this a bit disappointing because he had had more time than me to prepare as he brought the claim. I just hope it's so they can dig the hole a bit deeper for him.

He's obviously very bitter as he's already put his next claims into action.
  • I'll start a new thread for some help with his next claim, if anybody could please, regarding the Insolvency Act 1986, section 123 (1)(e)
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    QuackNuts wrote: »
    I'll start a new thread for some help with his next claim, if anybody could please, regarding the Insolvency Act 1986, section 123 (1)(e)

If your landlord is going bust, I would urge you to concentrate your efforts on finding a new place to rent. ;)
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    See my last paragraph on Post #6

Whatever the court eventually decides, if it goes that far and I have my doubts, you still have a Landlord who makes the rules up as he goes along, and on top of that he's likely to be seriously p****d off.

Wavelets has got it right, look for somewhere else NOW
  • It's not the landlord that's going bust - he's worth over 7 million. He wants to make us insolvent, the letter is from some firm that only started 11/10/18 and their client (the landlord) says the money outstanding is not disputed. He obviously hasn't told them that we've already been to court over some of it.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    QuackNuts wrote: »
    It's not the landlord that's going bust - he's worth over 7 million. He wants to make us insolvent, the letter is from some firm that only started 11/10/18 and their client (the landlord) says the money outstanding is not disputed. He obviously hasn't told them that we've already been to court over some of it.

:huh:

Insolvency Act 1986, section 123 (1)(e) relates to a company unable to pay it's debts ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure