2018 is an amazing year!

Options
Plush
Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
edited 9 January 2018 at 2:44PM in Debt free diaries
Happy New Year everyone and welcome to my 2018 diary - on a more positive note than the first one! I'm not posting a link to my old thread, you can find it if you're curious :)

I'm determined to make 2018 a great year overall and also reduce my debt significantly in the process. The year has started with a good mood, following a Christmas/NYE break that was low spending, high energy (a lot of yoga and running), no overeating (!), and filled with wonderful moments together with family and friends. Credit card debt is currently at £12K, down from £14.2K in Sep 2017. I have not used credit cards and overdraft since then, and I intend to continue the good practice.

I'm healthy, I have a job, one fabulous child, some good family and friends (even though some are overseas). I have no reason to be unhappy. I'm still single but not much I can do about that one - but to enjoy life as it is. I do have a Bumble date on Thu though ;)

So this is my 12-step plan (slightly revised from the first draft, because I buy groceries online so I had to allocate some money to that):

1. Spend less than £100* per week - all in cash, save the rest in a savings account. This is for daily spending only. It excludes bills, regular expenses (childcare, clubs, gym etc), and it also excludes online/main grocery spending which is budgeted for in Halifax.
  2. Pay £400 each month towards CCs debt. Do NOT use credit cards and overdrafts.
  3. Find a great remortgage deal (look in March for deal to start end of July).
  4. Limit eating & drinking out to IMPORTANT occasions only. This includes coffee breaks.
  5. Packed work lunches most days.
  6. Less screen time on mobile and computers.
  7. Be more active - at least 3x per week - yoga, 5k runs, long country walks, park walks, cycling.
  8. More reading & hobby time. These are mostly free :)
  9. Low carb diet during weekdays. Carbs and sugar as normal on weekends.
  10. Declutter more: wardrobes and all storage cupboards.
  11. Get professional certification and/or change jobs (nb. job change only after remortgage completed).
  12. No holidays until annual bonus time Dec 2018.

Monthly budget:
  • Keep in Barclays for bills & regular expenses £2,050
  • Pay CCs Sainsbury's & Barclaycard1 £400
  • Keep in Halifax for groceries & daily spending £613 (about £200 for online groceries; rest for spending)

Each week, take out in cash £100 from Halifax and don't exceed it no matter what. The £100 should cover all weekly spending including groceries top-ups (but excluding main online grocery spending, which is reserved in the Halifax acct). At the end of the week, whatever is left in cash, save in an envelope. Repeat each week until the next pay date.

Then, on the 24th of each month, just before pay day, all money from the cash envelope, plus money left in Barclays and Halifax - if any (there should be!) - deposit to an "Emergency Savings" account. Emergency savings can only be used if anything in the house breaks down and needs repairing or - touch wood - for any medical problems.

C'est tout! Hope I manage to stick to this and to see old and new "faces" around - to kick me if I don't.

May we all have the best year to date!

:dance:
current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200

Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Happy New Year and Happy New Diary, Plush :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year and Happy New Diary

You sound very positive and ready to kick that debt. I also admire your goals so I will be hanging around to encourage you

Every best wish for a great 2018

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Happy New Year and Diary,

Love the positive approach. You will make it! :beer:
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Happy new year and happy shiny diary :)

Love your 12 step plan and it looks achievable.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    You sound really positive and so glad you had a good time over Christmas. The 12 step plan sounds very organised and determined :)
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Plush
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm really busy at home and work and haven't had time to touch the forum. The good mood is still there although I've been doing too much screen time - at work!! so I'm avoiding screens at home. Trying to lead by example and teach DD how to stay away from the evil screens :D

Nothing new to report just wanted to check in and wish a happy weekend to all of you!

PS. Had to postpone my Bumble date :)
  • Plush
    Options
    Just quickly checking in to say hi and that all is fine.

Health good for both of us, job OK, mood up, weight slightly down, bank balance where it should be, cash in my pocket, and hope is strong.

Even the freewill horoscope agrees with me :)
    VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): "It takes an extraordinary person to carry
    themselves as if they do not live in hell," says writer D. Bunyavong. In
    accordance with the astrological omens, I nominate you Virgos to fit that
    description in the coming weeks. You are, in my estimation, as far away
    from hell as you've been in a long time. If anyone can seduce, coax, or
    compel heaven to come all the way down to earth for a while, it's you.
    Here's a good way to get the party started: Gaze into the mirror until you
    spy the eternal part of yourself.

http://www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/virgo.html
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    You mentioned OD at start of first post, then focused on CC debts etc, sort out OD as priority as costs can escalate and are iterate (OD charge, excess fee, interest , cost per day , etc)
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Matt_Jones
    Options
    I love the positivity and the preparation in this one!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love the plan and you sound really positive so am sure you will succeed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure