Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,099
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I got my first Fitbit, I bought it online from a site a lot cheaper than anywhere else. I hadn't had it long before it stopped working. I contacted Fitbit support just hoping for a fix. They sent me a replacement and told me to bin my broken one. I reckon I'd been sold a fake and they knew about this particular website. Fab customer service. They need to make their straps more secure though, we pay a lot of money for their product.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • Fitbit have contacted me and have me to provide some more info. As my Fitbit was a gift last Xmas they want to know when it was purchased so I've texted DSis to find out so still looking hopeful

On Friday night I got home to a letter from HMRC informing me that I owe them just over £1000 in unpaid tax for the last tax year!:eek: looking at the breakdown they've supplied most of it comes from my work Benefits in Kind - namely my medical insurance which now increases every year because of my age. My P11D is in work so I'll have to have a good look tomorrow. I'm gutted - what with the tooth and now this. HMRC have said they will start to take it as from next tax year in equal payments over twelve months from my salary so that will knock my monthly savings down. :mad:

Well at least I got £5.70 yesterday from the dress agency!

Surveys have been very quiet. Haven't made anything since 15p yesterday on One Poll!

Pay day tomorrow so will be working out budget this evening.

Got up this morning, showered and then thoroughly cleaned bathroom. Have just finished breakfast so will get rest of cleaning finished. Going to start packing things away in suitcase today in readiness for hol next week. Only two days left in work. Hooray!:j though will be very busy as off for two weeks.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Ouch to the tax bill :eek: what a horrible shock! At least you can pay it over 12 months. Has that ever happened before or are the work benefits new?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Ouch to the tax bill :eek: what a horrible shock! At least you can pay it over 12 months. Has that ever happened before or are the work benefits new?

I've always had some sort of BIK HairyHand. Basically we have a system whereby we are given X amount on top of our salary to use towards a selection of benefits e.g. critical illness insurance, childcare vouchers etc, it's down to what you want to select. Most of mine goes on my medical insurance but I have to pay tax on it. We changed benefits provider over a year ago and have also switched medical insurers. The new plan penalises you on age so I'm paying a lot more than I used to so the tax is higher. I've got to the point where I don't want to drop it in case I really do need it! I've used it to see two consultants already this year. The other annoying thing is that any surplus cash you don't use goes straight into your company pension but I hardly have any surplus over these days. :( I'm still going to check out HMRC's calculation though.

Anyway it's pay day tomorrow so have been sorting out my budget for the month and bashing figures into YNAB!

Looking back on Scrimpy September the positives and negatives were:

Negatives:
    - horrendous dental bill to come!:eek:
    - awful tax bill!:(
    - lost Fitbit!:mad:

Positives:
    - my emergency fund which will cover the cost of the dentist. In the good old days I would be running up the bill on my credit card. :)
    - very, very lucky to have medical insurance as I've been able to see consultants and have scan/ X-ray promptly.
    - lovely, helpful advice on Fitbit from my virtual friends which may mean I'll get a new one; :)
    - little scrimpy things that will build up - discount on annual Railcard, starting online surveys, rebates from BBC store, extra Cashback on Co-op shop.

Also treated to lovely meal by friends AND my gym is going well and I've been sticking to it so at least there must be some muscle developing somewhere!:D

SSG x
    🌟
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Hi SSG,

Your positives list looks really good, I'm sorry to hear about the tax bill - no one needs that!! Sounds all very complicated with the BIK. We have a Health Cash Plan through work but they cover it so it doesn't appear on our salary statements anywhere.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Hi JW - it doesnt appear on our payslips but the firm report all the BIKs back to the Revenue along with the tax paid. It'll be on my P11D which I can access online at work so I'm checking it out tomorrow.

SSG x
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,099
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Boo to the tax bill :( Always best to double check it though.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • Well today was really unproductive. Didn't sleep too well last night - which is very unusual for me. So then overslept so everything was a rush to get to work. Forgot my lunch and then succumbed to pastry and latte from Pret for breakfast. :(

I expected a busy day at work today but we had a big IT upgrade over the weekend. The whole firm has finally gone over to parent company's systems and it was the usual first day chaos. All my emails and contacts had disappeared among other things and I won't get them back till tomorrow morning! Basically I probably got a quarter of the workload I wanted to get done and it's my last day tomorrow before I go off on holiday. So I'll be working late tomorrow night and have had to let my friend know I can't make her dinner party. :mad: I'm shattered tonight and feel wound up for tomorrow. Plus I never got any of the jobs done that I wanted to do: get my euros, sort out the tax business, ring travel insurer to let them know I'd been to see consultants etc.

Hope tomorrow is better! :(

SSG x
    🌟
  • Ouch what an annoying day SG, not what you want just before you go away :(.

You'll really enjoy the break when it comes though :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • My cousin hit her target last count they were at 33000. Thanks
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback