Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davethetaller
    • By davethetaller 14th Mar 08, 10:43 AM
    • 388Posts
    • 136Thanks
    davethetaller
    Microwave oven for warming plates?
    • 14th Mar 08, 10:43 AM
    Microwave oven for warming plates? 14th Mar 08 at 10:43 AM
    I had always believed that a microwave oven should never be used empty.

(I know that there would be no good reason to do that!), but,my daughter

uses hers on the microwave cycle,for just a minute, to heat up two dinner

plates. It does an excellent job, but is it causing harm? :confused:
Page 2
    • davethetaller
    • By davethetaller 14th Mar 08, 7:41 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    davethetaller
    I had always believed that a microwave oven should never be used empty.

(I know that there would be no good reason to do that!), but,my daughter

uses hers on the microwave cycle,for just a minute, to heat up two dinner

plates. It does an excellent job, but is it causing harm? :confused:
    Originally posted by davethetaller

And here am I, thinking I would get one reply, with a yes,or a no!

Thanks to all for making it clear! lol.
  • windym
    I have a microwave which doesn't have an internal glass plate, but specificially has a 'plate warming' setting. No special instructions, just turn the dial and ping.
    • vyseyboy
    • By vyseyboy 15th Mar 08, 11:47 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    vyseyboy
    Microwaves put negative magnetic energy in food
    Originally posted by prost
    LOL

Sorry, but that's incredibly made-up.
    Russia is HERE
    • Moneymaker
    • By Moneymaker 16th Mar 08, 3:08 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Moneymaker
    Microwaves put negative magnetic energy in food.
    No, they put positive microwave energy into food. (Duh!!)
  • Avoriaz
    ..Microwaves put negative magnetic energy in food..
    Who told you that? :confused:

It is meaningless rubbish. :rolleyes:

All a Microwave Oven does is emit energy in the form of microwaves. This energy is converted into heat by water and some fat molecules in food.

Microwaves are similar to radio waves and light. They only differ by wavelength and frequency.

Used properly, Microwave Ovens are completely safe and food cooked properly in them is as safe to eat as food cooked properly in a conventional oven.
  • Meltdown
    Microwaves are similar to radio waves and light. They only differ by wavelength and frequency.
    Originally posted by Avoriaz
    Microwaves are similar to X-rays and cosmic rays. They only differ by wavelength and frequency.
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 18th Mar 08, 6:49 AM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Microwaves are similar to X-rays and cosmic rays. They only differ by wavelength and frequency.
    Originally posted by Meltdown
    Exactly and if you X Rayed your food, the food doesn't suddenly "keep" the X Rays or start emitting them.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 18th Mar 08, 6:57 AM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Microwaves put negative magnetic energy in food. So I now use a cooker for porridge.
    Only just seen this post this morning. As already mentioned this is complete tosh. Doesn't even make sense in the terminology. Just done a google search for the term because I've never heard of it and just as I expected it brings up pages of woo woo pseudoscience on magnetic therapy etc which of course is full of made up things and they don't know the first thing about science (well and why should they, they wouldn't be in that business if they did as they'd see how ridiculous it was and the words are all gobbledegook).
    Last edited by superscaper; 18-03-2008 at 7:16 AM.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • free4440273
    ^Who would have thought: gobbledygook on the Internet:rolleyes:
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS

THE PUNISHER MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT
  • Avoriaz
    Originally posted by Meltdown
    I think you meant gamma rays.

Cosmic rays are not the same as Electromagnetic Radiation. They are particles such as protons, alpha particles and electrons.

Microwave ovens don't produce Cosmic Rays. Nor do they produce ionising and dangerous high energy EMR such as X Rays or Gamma rays.

They produce lower energy Microwave EMR with energy levels somewhere between radio waves and visible light.

We don't worry about the huge amount of radio waves and light that we are exposed to daily. Nor should we worry about the use of Microwaves in food cooking.
    Last edited by Avoriaz; 18-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,482Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter