Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mee
    • By Mee 15th Sep 19, 6:47 PM
    • 1,266Posts
    • 1,300Thanks
    Mee
    Ebico Zero Green Fixed v3
    • #1
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:47 PM
    Ebico Zero Green Fixed v3 15th Sep 19 at 6:47 PM
    My current Ebico Zero Green Fixed v2 expires near the end of the year and I'm wondering whether to move to the new rate before Oct 31, or before any likely hike (as per YellowHammer warning - assuming they don't add some except clause????)

    Any views welcomed...
    Free thinker.
Page 1
    • fryedslyce
    • By fryedslyce 15th Sep 19, 8:21 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    fryedslyce
    • #2
    • 15th Sep 19, 8:21 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Sep 19, 8:21 PM
    I switched to v3, when you switch it doesn't actually come into effect until your current tariff ends. So you might as well do it now just in case it disappears.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 16th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    squiggles
    • #3
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    I’ve just switched to v3 and it doesn’t start until end of November once v2 expires. I thought if I wait until nearer the time of my fixed rate ending then I would have missed my chance and v4 will be out.

    Knowing my luck v4 will be cheaper than v3.
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 16th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    • #4
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • #4
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    My current Ebico Zero Green Fixed v2 expires near the end of the year and I'm wondering whether to move to the new rate before Oct 31, or before any likely hike (as per YellowHammer warning - assuming they don't add some except clause????)

    Any views welcomed...
    Originally posted by Mee
    I wouldn't worry about it.

    I thought the main danger was planes falling out of the sky, and world war 3 - this time it was goig to be nuclear

    Oh no, that was the millenium bug wasn't it?

    Regarding Brexit, it was George Osborne introducing an emergency budget to tackle a £30bn "black hole", with public spending slashed and tax rises for us all.

    Oh no, that was the day after the referendum vote for us to leave - almost 3 years ago now.

    So now its all down to the Lib Dems who will defy the will of the people, the referendum result, and unilaterally revoke Article 50.

    But they can only even attempt to do that if they are a majority government, so they need an election, and they voted against that option (or abstained) when they had the chance - twice!

    Now the government is prorogued, so either we will leave the EU by October 31st, or will be busy searching the ditches for a dead Boris.

    Despite the "hysterical prophecies of doom" of the past, I doubt the world will be coming to an end.

    Ebico Zero Green Fixed v2 is cheaper than V3, so hang onto it for as long as possible.

    As others have indicated., once the switching window opens for you, you can apply to transfer then, and the new tariff will start when the existing one expires
    Last edited by Biscuit Tin; 16-09-2019 at 2:33 PM.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 18th Sep 19, 9:40 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Snakey
    • #5
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:40 AM
    • #5
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:40 AM
    I was waiting because I mistakenly thought it would switch you immediately. Then I saw all the stuff earlier this week about oil prices and thought I'd better fix the rate quickly in case they withdraw it. It turned out it only starts when my existing fix ends, so I haven't lost out compared to waiting until the last minute.

    It's quite a hike from my existing one - electricity is something like 44% higher. I mean I guess we're all low users so in absolute terms it shouldn't kill us, but even so it felt painful!
    • maxcy
    • By maxcy 18th Sep 19, 10:51 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    maxcy
    • #6
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:51 AM
    • #6
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:51 AM
    I was waiting because I mistakenly thought it would switch you immediately. Then I saw all the stuff earlier this week about oil prices and thought I'd better fix the rate quickly in case they withdraw it. It turned out it only starts when my existing fix ends, so I haven't lost out compared to waiting until the last minute.

    It's quite a hike from my existing one - electricity is something like 44% higher. I mean I guess we're all low users so in absolute terms it shouldn't kill us, but even so it felt painful!
    Originally posted by Snakey
    It probably would switch immediately, or at least well before the planned end of your current, unless you wait fort the switching window to open.

    If the switching window has opened, then the Ebico notification is quite claer as to when the new tariff will take effect.

    In regards the oild price rise, that was only anticipated on Sunday to take place Monday morning following an attack in Saudi Arabia.
    Whiulst prices did indeed jump Monday morning initially by 20%, they fell back by at least half of that increase by the end of Monday.
    On Tuesday, the price fell back further still, as Saudi said they expected to be back normal by the end of this month. Hence the USA who had previously authorised release of their own emergency oil supplies, then recinded that authority without releasing any.

    If you think you can accurately predict market prices :
    (a) you probably are wrong
    (b) if I am wrong on (a) above, you should not be here, but making £bns on the market.

    Either way, don't mess about with knee-jerk reactions over your electricity and gas supplier/tariff
    • Mee
    • By Mee 19th Sep 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    Mee
    • #7
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:42 PM
    Update
    • #7
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:42 PM
    I'm in discussions with Ebico and will update update again when I receive another reply.
    In first correspondence they informed me I can schedule 49 days before my current tarrif ends, but they tend to alert people around that time (do they?)
    They advised not changing yet due to the price difference (yes, it is painful ).

    I've asked what happens if the tariff changes during the scheduled period - waiting for a reply...

    Update:
    Reply from Ebico:

    If you choose to renew your tariff on the XX date and our prices increase before the end of your current tariff your quote will be honoured and your prices will be fixed at the Ebico Zero Green V3 rates until XX XX 2020. If our prices decrease between now and the XX XX you'd be free to pick a different tariff with no penalty as the Ebico Zero Green tariff does not carry any cancellation fees​.
    Last edited by Mee; 27-09-2019 at 4:46 PM. Reason: update
    Free thinker.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 20th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Snakey
    • #8
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    • #8
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    (do they?)
    Originally posted by Mee
    Yep, my fix runs out on 3 October and I got an e-mail from them on 16 August saying if I didn't do anything I'd go on to their standard tariff.

    I've asked what happens if the tariff changes during the scheduled period - waiting for a reply...
    Good question, let us know! I mean you'd think that if you'd signed up they would be contractually bound to give you that rate - otherwise the concept of a fix is meaningless - and if you hadn't yet signed up you'd have to choose from the available options at the time you did sign up. But I've no experience of it. Maybe there's some small print somewhere which gives them a few get-outs, who knows.

    Since there is no exit fee it's no-lose on the customer end, at least - if you sign up then prices fall, you can just jump to the cheaper one.
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 21st Sep 19, 5:51 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    • #9
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:51 AM
    • #9
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:51 AM
    ...

    I've asked what happens if the tariff changes during the scheduled period - waiting for a reply...
    Originally posted by Mee
    You can apply for any tariff the supplier has available at the time of application.

    If you are accepted, that is the tariff you will be moved to, irrespective of whether or not it is still open to new applications on the date the witch or transfer actually occurs.

    Ebico Zero Green Fixed v3 has no early exit fees to worry about if you change your mind later.

    HTH
    • Mee
    • By Mee 29th Sep 19, 9:25 AM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    Mee
    See update to Update
    Free thinker.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,426Posts Today

6,452Users online

Martin's Twitter