Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 4:07 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MickyLuv
    new to flat & energy confused!
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:07 PM
    new to flat & energy confused! 14th Sep 19 at 4:07 PM
    14th day in this electric only flat and trying to sort out a multitude of niggles.
    Previous occupants had night storage heaters removed and thin, square, white panel heaters installed, which may not be associated with the cheaper night time rate. I don't know. The only other electrical appliances here are an immersion heater, cooker and power shower.

The meter cupboard has a white meter showing 3 readings: 1, 2 and Total, as shown in this link.
    https://postimg.cc/HJ03WpCN

It also has another device showing a day and night timer.
    https://postimg.cc/23STmR9H.

Just had a letter from EDF to the "Occupier" telling me I can change my tariff for a better one.
    I don't want to be with EDF so I want to change supplier.

First off, I don't really know what I'm already on here.

If it's Economy 7 or something similar with different day and night rates is there any appliance here that would be eligible to use it?
    If not. is it a disadvantage to have such a 2 rate tariff?

Once I've found out what I've got and what I need, I intend to subscribe to the Cheap Energy Club here.
    I definitely need to know more than I know now before that can happen.

Please advise.
    Last edited by MickyLuv; 14-09-2019 at 4:10 PM.
    Regards,

Mike
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 4,977 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    First of all you must register with Edf and give them the opening readings - you will be on their Standard Tariff (ie expensive) I trust you also gave closing readings at your old flat.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:19 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:19 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:19 PM
    First of all you must register with Edf and give them the opening readings -
    Originally posted by Robin9
    I do hope not, I spoke with them this morning and told them I didn't even want to give them my name. I was told they already know the opening reading, which is the same as the closing reading of the last occupant. I was asked why I didn't want to continue with EDF and I said that I really don't like them.
    And gave a detailed reason, which I won't go into here.
    I was told I would be sent a bill for the interim, which I shall pay, to be rid.
    you will be on their Standard Tariff (ie expensive) I trust you also gave closing readings at your old flat.
    I didn't have an old flat, or a previous flat. I did live in a cottage, but that's all taken care of, thanks.
    Regards,

Mike
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 14th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    I do hope not, I spoke with them this morning and told them I didn't even want to give them my name. I was told they already know the opening reading, which is the same as the closing reading of the last occupant. I was asked why I didn't want to continue with EDF and I said that I really don't like them.
    I was told I would be sent a bill for the interim, which I shall pay, to be rid.

I didn't have an old flat, or a previous flat. I did live in a cottage, but that's all taken care of, thanks.
    Originally posted by MickyLuv
    Did you ask them what sort of tariff you're on?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    Presumable on a deemed contract till you change.

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505r883.pdf
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    First of all you must register with Edf and give them the opening readings -
    you will be on their Standard Tariff (ie expensive) I trust you also gave closing readings at your old flat.
    Regards,

Mike
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:36 PM

Originally posted by Lorian

Yes, it says "deemed contract" in the letter I received this morning.
    Regards,

Mike
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    So prices you are paying will be in that link. Treat it as if you have a contract with EDF, move away to your preferred supplier, but you must settle with EDF.
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:40 PM

Did you ask them what sort of tariff you're on?
    Originally posted by JohnB47

Not, exactly, Just how I could be done with them and sign up with a provider of my choice.
    When I know what kind of tariff I should be seeking I'll be straight to it.
    Regards,

Mike
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    Lorian
    Also, do you have make and model on the heaters - or post a photo.

I think and electric flat can be quite costly to heat with no storage heaters.
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:48 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    So prices you are paying will be in that link. Treat it as if you have a contract with EDF, move away to your preferred supplier, but you must settle with EDF.

It's my fondest wish to settle and be done with EDF. I asked them to do what they could to finalize my contract with them. I think it can be pretty much assured that the requirements of EDF will have top priority in this matter. I just wish that satisfying EDF was my only problem.
    Regards,

Mike
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 5:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    Also, do you have make and model on the heaters - or post a photo.

I think and electric flat can be quite costly to heat with no storage heaters.

They're EasyHome Panel Heaters Model Number PH-ET07H

https://www.aldi.co.uk/easy-home-wall-panel-heater/p/081567188621900

I really can't imagine why this change from night storage heaters was made.
    Regards,

Mike
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Sep 19, 5:56 AM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 5,777 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

here's the photies, save jumping about pages.

You won't get a final bill from EDF until you have switched to another supplier, and to do that will need to know what tariff you are on, then try comparison sites.

You have a 2 rate meter so may well still be on E7, though that may've been changed when storage heaters removed and is now billed as a single rate.

If storage heater circuit is still available you could get a couple of heaters installed, though panel heater would do in bedroom.

Those heaters will be expensive to run to heat whole house.
    Y'all take care now.
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 15th Sep 19, 6:37 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    Thank you FrugalMacdugal for your very helpful reply. I'll sort the tariff out with EDF and see about getting the night storage heaters replaced.
    Regards,

Mike
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 15th Sep 19, 8:14 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Talldave
    You could do with knowing whether you're on E7 before selecting a new supplier as it could affect your choice of tariff.

Is the immersion heater on a timer or manual switch? If you try to turn it on in the middle of the day does it come on? (If not, it could be on an night time circuit). Similarly, do the panel heaters work 24/7?

Perhaps make sure your first switch is to a supplier/tariff with no exit fees, then it's easy to switch again once you know more about your consumption.
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 15th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    You could do with knowing whether you're on E7 before selecting a new supplier as it could affect your choice of tariff.

Is the immersion heater on a timer or manual switch? If you try to turn it on in the middle of the day does it come on? (If not, it could be on an night time circuit). Similarly, do the panel heaters work 24/7?

Perhaps make sure your first switch is to a supplier/tariff with no exit fees, then it's easy to switch again once you know more about your consumption.
    Originally posted by Talldave

Thanks, I don't currently know the answers to any of these important questions,
    but I'm aiming to start work on answering them right away.
    Regards,

Mike
    • tim_p
    • By tim_p 15th Sep 19, 9:15 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tim_p
    Not seen it mentioned already in the thread but it would be a good idea to start taking regular meter readings, ideally daily, to get a handle on what you’re using and the effect of turning on things like the immersion heater. Keep a spreadsheet or use an app (my preference).
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 15th Sep 19, 10:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    Not seen it mentioned already in the thread but it would be a good idea to start taking regular meter readings, ideally daily, to get a handle on what you’re using and the effect of turning on things like the immersion heater. Keep a spreadsheet or use an app (my preference).
    Originally posted by tim_p

Great idea. That's a level of detail I haven't managed to get down to yet. Interaction with the plumber is taking up a lot of my slack.
    Regards,

Mike
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 15th Sep 19, 10:32 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    thorganby
    Thanks, I don't currently know the answers to any of these important questions,
    but I'm aiming to start work on answering them right away.
    Your metering setup will provide day/night rates for the whole flat unless the timeswitch has been disconnected.

You can prove if you are on a day/night tariff yourself by observing the very first half height digit on your meter display, as this will change to display 2 for the other rate.

On my meter, 1 displays the day rate register and 2 displays the night rate register but this does vary so check your meter.

What time of day did you take the picture with rate 1 displayed?

Based on the information provided, as a new EDF customer you will be on the deemed default E10 tariff which will be expensive and uncompetitive, which your interim bill will confirm.

EDF have already asked you if you would like to "change your tariff for a better one" i.e. the previous occupier may have agreed to be charged at a single rate 24/7.

Due to your previous history with EDF you will only "be rid" of them after you have switched from them, to an alternative supplier who will take on your E10 meter setup.

Forget joining the so called cheap energy club to find a better deal as they will not help you with E10 metering.

Some suppliers will allow your E10 meter to be billed on a much cheaper E7 tariff, which you will need if you intend to reinstall the storage heaters.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 15th Sep 19, 10:37 AM
    • 4,977 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    Robin9
    They're EasyHome Panel Heaters Model Number PH-ET07H

Rated at 425w. There doesn't appear to be a thermostat so once switched on say 0700 -2300 would consume 6.8kwh . Assume 16p/unit would cost over £1 a day.

How many panels have you got ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter