Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 7:30 AM
    • 328Posts
    • 33Thanks
    crazyshady
    How to get new I HD and check cheaper suppliers
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:30 AM
    How to get new I HD and check cheaper suppliers 14th Sep 19 at 7:30 AM
    I've switched a few times in the last few years. I got my smart meters with Utilita and then went to Avid Energy who then got taken over by Nabuh Energy which is who I am currently with. The issues I am having is shortly after Nabuh took over my IHD stopped working which they won't fix as it is supplied by Utilita and charge 40 for a new one. I'm at least 40 minutes on the phone just trying to get an answer and their app does not give any readings so it's awkward trying to get a reading from my gas meter because of the way it's been installed and also many times I've topped up via the app and no payment was provided. Today I topped up by 5 and when I left it had not been applied so when I finish work that's another 40 minute phone call.

Avid was a great supplier but for a small 2 bedroom house with only me in it what should I be looking for? I have never had a paper bill from Nabuh so can't get any info. I think my electricity was always around 10 per week which I thought was good but obviously I want to get the best deal. Would any other supplier provide me with a new IHD for no charge? I've no idea what tarriff I'm on either. Gas is obviously very cheap just now but I want a good deal for that too.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Floretti
    • By Floretti 14th Sep 19, 8:57 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Floretti
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:57 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:57 AM
    I've switched a few times in the last few years. I got my smart meters with Utilita and then went to Avid Energy who then got taken over by Nabuh Energy which is who I am currently with. The issues I am having is shortly after Nabuh took over my IHD stopped working which they won't fix as it is supplied by Utilita and charge 40 for a new one. I'm at least 40 minutes on the phone just trying to get an answer and their app does not give any readings so it's awkward trying to get a reading from my gas meter because of the way it's been installed and also many times I've topped up via the app and no payment was provided. Today I topped up by 5 and when I left it had not been applied so when I finish work that's another 40 minute phone call.

Avid was a great supplier but for a small 2 bedroom house with only me in it what should I be looking for? I have never had a paper bill from Nabuh so can't get any info. I think my electricity was always around 10 per week which I thought was good but obviously I want to get the best deal. Would any other supplier provide me with a new IHD for no charge? I've no idea what tarriff I'm on either. Gas is obviously very cheap just now but I want a good deal for that too.

Any advice?
    Originally posted by crazyshady
    If you don't want to hang on the phone, you can conatct them via email or social media.
    Or indeed write them a letter.

They also have an online chat facility, but that only operates Mon-Fri.

Perhaps consider having the meter moved to a more accessible location for you? A charge may apply.

I don't think anyone other than Utilita will be able to provide you a new IHD, but you could ask.
    Last edited by Floretti; 14-09-2019 at 9:03 AM.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 14th Sep 19, 10:41 AM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 14th Sep 19, 10:41 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 10:41 AM
    If you don't want to hang on the phone, you can conatct them via email or social media.
    Or indeed write them a letter.

They also have an online chat facility, but that only operates Mon-Fri.

Perhaps consider having the meter moved to a more accessible location for you? A charge may apply.

I don't think anyone other than Utilita will be able to provide you a new IHD, but you could ask.
    Originally posted by Floretti
    But will any supplier supply a new IHD free when the original go s faulty, as it surely will one day ?. The IHD replacement will probably need an "engineer "/meter reader to come out to replace to "pair up " the new IHD with the meter electronically..
    I used to do sim card replacements when I worked for G4S meter reading and I suppose they charged the supplier a certain amount such as 30 a visit at a guess at least.
    If someone has a working smart meter the supplier s "app "will be much more convenient to use than an IHD for prepayment top ups etc.
    Bulb are only slightly pricier than Nabahs on prepay rates but as yet they do not appear to be installing smart meters even though its about time they did.. They would most probably be using the exact same "value for money " smart meter as Utilitas Secure Liberty 100 meters..Maybe they are about to start very soon. They do pay 50 to new customers via customer referral fees
    Last edited by Houbara; 14-09-2019 at 2:01 PM.
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    I had someone come to my house from MoneyEspert today to do comparisons on Energy Suppliers and they told me that Spark Energy were a good supplier and the rates were better.

This bit on the email I was sent worries me however.

EXISTING ANNUAL SPEND: 1,440.00
    NEW ESTIMATED ANNUAL BILL: 1,638.38

But I did say that I do not spend or use my gas much at all. 10 a week on electricity and not as much on gas. They have also requested a free smart meter upgrade. Are Spark Energy quite good? There is no charge for an exit fee and I do have a 14 day cooling off period. No email yet and obviously no letter till next week so I can't set up an account on the app yet but I am hoping they are better than Nabuh. It is on the Get Swift tariff. Can anyone comment?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    As you've switched several times over the last few years you will know what your annual consumption is in kwh. What is it ?

Do you own comparisons and look at the full market.

Talking in terms of 10 a week and less than 10 a week is dangerous territory when doing comparisons.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 1:59 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:59 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:59 PM
    I have no idea what that is in kwh.

I haven't done any comparisons.

How would I find out what that is in kwh?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 2:04 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:04 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:04 PM
    I have no idea what that is in kwh.

I haven't done any comparisons.................

But you say you switched several times over the years - how did you do do that if you didn't use a comparison site ?

To find your consumption look at a couple of bills about 12 months apart and look for the meter readings. For elec you subtract the oldest from the newest and for gas do the same but multiply the answer by 11.
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 2:08 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:08 PM
    I was a carer for my Father previously and it was all in my Father's name. I think it was literally a case of him trying different companies to see what ones he liked. I've recently taken over the property, it was with Avid, which were fine, I was happy with those prices, they then got taken over by Nabuh and the IHD stopped working etc so I have no actual bills here showing any of those details. Nabuh was changed to my name but I haven't received any paper bill from them.

Is there anything I can check on my meter just now?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    Can you read your meters - with gas you should have something like 02345.678 and your reading is 02345; elec something like 12345.6 and your reading is 12345

You also need your fathers bill of about a year ago - it doesn't matter who the supplier was as long as the reading has a letter A (for ACTUAL) against it.

What I can't understand is why you are even considering a tariff from Spark which they say will cost you over 1600 when your bills are less than 1000

Sorry for any confusion but you were saying "I've switched" but it was actually your father
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:13 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    I should have cleared that up. There is no paperwork at all. The only paperwork is a welcome letter from Nabuh.

Are there any specific things I should look for on the meters? I have tried and this is what I have came up.

Electric - IMP KWH then 5542.411

Gas - Volume 402 IMP KWH 5053

Is that what I should be looking for? There are more numbers and letters but don't know what I should be looking for. Under electric it says 54. Does that mean what I use roughly per month?

Can Spark change my tariff if I ask them?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 3:28 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    But why do you want to change to Spark when even by their figures say they will cost 200 more than you are paying now (but where on earth did they get that from)

When did the Utilita Smart meters get installed ?

I'm a bit old school - don't use smart phone apps so can't comment on that aspect. I also put the IHD toy in the back of a drawer within a week of getting. I read my meters at least monthly.

New Smart meters will start at 0000.000 ie since then you have used 5542 kwh . I'm not sure what you were paying per unit but at say 15p that's about 850.

The gas detail is confusing as they don't read in kwh but if the volume is 402 m3 thats 4500 kwh and at say 3p thats 135.
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:28 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    I've had a look and the only thing I can find is a Utilita letter from February 2018 saying their prices are increasing. There is no readings or anything but it says 'your estimated annual cost is 853.82. Great news - you are currently on Smart Energy which is our Relevant Cheapest Tariff for you. Your estimated annual cost Electricity - 517.41. Gas 291.81

Your annual consumption. This is our best estimate of the quantity of gas and electricity you would expect to use in the next 12 months. This is based on actual data where available and may include estimated meter readings.

Electricity - 3,100 kwh per year
    Gas 5,840 kwh per year
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 3:34 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    I've had a look and the only thing I can find is a Utilita letter from February 2018 saying their prices are increasing. There is no readings or anything but it says 'your estimated annual cost is 853.82. Great news - you are currently on Smart Energy which is our Relevant Cheapest Tariff for you. Your estimated annual cost Electricity - 517.41. Gas 291.81

Your annual consumption. This is our best estimate of the quantity of gas and electricity you would expect to use in the next 12 months. This is based on actual data where available and may include estimated meter readings.

Electricity - 3,100 kwh per year
    Gas 5,840 kwh per year
    That's fair enough - so less than 1000 - so again I ask why are you even considering Spark as a supplier. There are lots of suppliers under a 1000
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:35 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    But why do you want to change to Spark when even by their figures say they will cost 200 more than you are paying now (but where on earth did they get that from)

When did the Utilita Smart meters get installed ?

I'm a bit old school - don't use smart phone apps so can't comment on that aspect. I also put the IHD toy in the back of a drawer within a week of getting. I read my meters at least monthly.

New Smart meters will start at 0000.000 ie since then you have used 5542 kwh . I'm not sure what you were paying per unit but at say 15p that's about 850.

The gas detail is confusing as they don't read in kwh but if the volume is 402 m3 thats 4500 kwh and at say 3p thats 135.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    The guy that came to the door did the estimates. I spoke to them on the phone and they said my estimates where at 120 per month, 15 per week gas and 15 per week electricity and I said that's not true at all. 10 a week electricity and maybe 10 a week gas in the winter months and they said that they look at an average month. The guy that spoke to me must have said that's what I would be paying outside of the summer months because I told him, I had put 10 in the gas last month, back when the IHD was working and it said 21 days on it. I was getting 3 weeks gas for 10 and I know that wont be the case in November.

They seem to think I'm spending a lot more than I actually am. This letter is dated February 2018 and it was Utilita that installed everything so it's at least 2017. 3 years at the very least since they were installed.

I don't know what I'm doing. To be honest the IHD not working has annoyed me no end just because the app doesn't tell you what credit you have and it's difficult for me to read the gas meter just because of the way it is on the ground, it's not facing up at you. Should I have stuck with Nabuh? Is there any other tariff on here that is better for me?

https://sparkenergy.co.uk/energy-tariffs/four-simple-tariffs

Is there any details I can take from these meters that will help me or give me an idea what I'm actually using that I can then take to get a better deal? I do have a 14 day cooling off period starting from today.
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:38 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    That's fair enough - so less than 1000 - so again I ask why are you even considering Spark as a supplier. There are lots of suppliers under a 1000
    Originally posted by Robin9
    The email says those prices but those prices were never said to me in person. When I asked about it they said my estimates were 120 per month and I said that isn't true. I'm 10 a week at most in electricity. I got 21 days out of 10 gas last month but I know in a few months time I may end up spending more. They seem to think I'm spending a lot more than I am.

How do I check other suppliers? How do I know which one is good for me? What details can I get from my meters rather than me just saying 10 a week electricity? And how can I use that information to shop around? I am in Scotland so maybe there are Scottish suppliers that are good locally?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 3:44 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    In my opinion - cancel the switch to Spark and stick with your present supplier. Forget about the IHD and get some decent info from Nabuh.

Forget about the IHD.

Ring Nabuh on Monday and ask them what tariff you are on - their present one is called Jessica - if you are not on it ask them to swop you. In my area with the estimated figures above the annual cost is said to be 874.

Look again at you gas meter please and see if you can find a name and model number. Does the meter have a small key pad on it - if so press button 9 and that gives you the units used in m3.
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:51 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    It's a Liberty EG5v15. It says 842 m3.

How do I cancel the switch to Spark, do I phone Spark or Nabuh?
    • crazyshady
    • By crazyshady 14th Sep 19, 3:59 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    crazyshady
    I contacted Nabuh and they said to ask Spark to cancel but they are closed just now and not open till Monday.

They said I am on the Katy tariff.

I don't see the Jessica tariff on their site.

https://www.nabuhenergy.co.uk/nabuh-tariffs/
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 4:17 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    To Cancel the switch you ring Spark
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 19, 4:26 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    Depending on your post code you can ask Nabuh for a Smart meter (they will rip out the Utilita ones)

Assuming the Utilita meter went in Sept 2017 then in my region (West Midlands) elec of 2750kwh/year and gas 4700kwh/year is 517 a year.

Even within Nabuh there is a cheaper tariff Tina

Now you know how to read you meters read them every month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,267Posts Today

8,659Users online

Martin's Twitter