Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Sep 19, 2:35 AM
    • 1,820Posts
    • 1,134Thanks
    fred246
    Transferring from Talktalk
    • 13th Sep 19, 2:35 AM
    Transferring from Talktalk 13th Sep 19 at 2:35 AM
    After a failed re-negotiation of my contract I am leaving Talktalk. My contract finishes on the 20th September. I was going to wait until after that date but the deals on offer now finish before then. Am I OK applying for a new contract now? Do I have to specify a start date or will the new company automatically take more than a week to transfer? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 13th Sep 19, 8:13 AM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:13 AM
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:13 AM
    You can't choose a specific date but it will take about 17-21 days to switch including your cooling off period which is 14 days on its own. So you're able to switch now if that's what you want as you'll be out of contract by the time cooling off expires.

Note that you will pay the regular price for the month after your contract ends; this is normal and once your final bill has been generated you get any credit back - so say your switch goes through on the 30th and your Direct Debit went through on the 21st, you'd still have to pay for 9 days worth of TalkTalk internet. But you get the credit back for the other 21 days.
    • little_green
    • By little_green 13th Sep 19, 12:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    little_green
    • 13th Sep 19, 12:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 12:27 PM
    After a failed re-negotiation of my contract I am leaving Talktalk. My contract finishes on the 20th September. I was going to wait until after that date but the deals on offer now finish before then. Am I OK applying for a new contract now? Do I have to specify a start date or will the new company automatically take more than a week to transfer? Thanks.
    Originally posted by fred246
    hi out of interest what did talk talk offer you?
    my contract ends next month & possibly looking to renew depending on what they can offer.
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 13th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    • 13th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    Move at least 30 days before contract ends or you will get charged full price.

If not sure ask your current supplier when you can start negotiating for a new supplier.

I left it until contract up and paid for the privelege (prob about double what I had been paying). Won't do that again - however soon it will be mandatory for broadband suppliers to let you know in good time when your contract is about to terminate.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Sep 19, 3:30 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    fred246
    • 13th Sep 19, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 3:30 PM
    I had been on fibre 38mbps for 22.50 a month. I asked to continue. I said I could get the same for about 18 a month and Talktalk are offering 66mbps for 23.50 so 22.50 for 38mbps is reasonable. They said that 23.50 for 66mbps was for new customers only and wasn't available to loyal customers. I was a bit surprised that they were so happy to see someone leave but I have got a much better deal with Plusnet. Their customer service is supposed to be better too.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    A migration between providers normally takes around 10-14 days, so chances are you will still be a TT customer after the 20th Sept , but any days you pay TT for after the changeover date are refunded.

If the price you would pay with TT after 20 Sept, was ( for example ) 30 per month , and you moved 3 days late , then obviously the ‘extra’ amount is tiny ( 7.50 divided by 30 times 3 ) so 75p on top of what you would normally pay for 3 days ( 2.25) , or for every day after the 20th before PN takeover it would be 25p a day more
    Depending on billing dates etc. It could be a few weeks before you get the final TT bill and a settled PN bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

31Posts Today

3,047Users online

Martin's Twitter