Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • 10emarri
    • By 10emarri 12th Sep 19, 12:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ISA on Year Abroad
    • #1
    • 12th Sep 19, 12:18 PM
    ISA on Year Abroad 12th Sep 19 at 12:18 PM
    As part of my degree I'll be going to Austria from October to May to work as a teaching assistant with the British Council, and I was looking at my ISA to make sure I have the best rates before I leave. I now have 2 questions:
    1. I have already paid a small amount into my cash ISA this tax year - if I transfer it, will I still be able to pay more in to my new ISA this year?
    2. Will I be able to contribute still when I am abroad? I will only be away for 8 months and will not be paying tax in Austria (I don't pay tax here either, as a student) - but will I no longer count as a resident?
    Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 13th Sep 19, 5:14 AM
    • 12,369 Posts
    • 9,959 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 19, 5:14 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 19, 5:14 AM
    It is unlikely that a cash ISA will give you the best rate on your money. But if you have online access then providing you can log in you'd be able to top up the account while you're away.

    Being out of the country between October and May would not normally qualify you as being non-resident.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter