Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • starkiwi26
    • By starkiwi26 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 13Thanks
    starkiwi26
    Where to invest? (I am with Fidelity ISA)
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    Where to invest? (I am with Fidelity ISA) 8th Sep 19 at 7:03 PM
    Dear all,

I have 50k in ISA account (Fidelity, openned with Cavendish)
    Due to makr violation recently (Brexit, US-China trade ware), I decided to cash out - cash is the king. But then, I had been holding cash on hand now, doing nothing but sitting in my account. I am looking for something safer or an ISA saving. My problem is, my fund is in Fidelity, which didnt have a ISA saving...
    Therefore, I am seeking opinion and advice here, how do I invest in something safer? eg. move my ISA to another provider?
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 8th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    There is always market volatility and something in the news to worry about.

What do you intend to use this money for, how long until you will spend it?

Alex
    • starkiwi26
    • By starkiwi26 9th Sep 19, 10:06 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    starkiwi26
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:06 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:06 AM
    There is always market volatility and something in the news to worry about.

What do you intend to use this money for, how long until you will spend it?

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    I am looking for long term investment, have no plan to withdraw ISA for next 5 years or more. The reason I cash out my ISA stocks and shares investment was to move the fund to an ISA saving or a safer, conservative portfolio for 1 year until market is more stable. Unfortunately, Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA cannot link to a ISA saving. This made me stuck with money uninvested.

Therefore I am looking for advice, where to find a safer, conservative portfolio in Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    If you wait until markets are stable and there is little to worry about then prices could be high to reflect the reduced risk an investor would perceive. Then you would worry about the prices! In the meantime you will have lost out in the investment returns gained while the markets getting there. The best answer is usually to embrace a level of risk and stop worrying.

You may wish to use your Fidelity S&S ISA to invest in a balanced risk multi-asset fund for example Vanguard LifeStrategy 60 or HSBC Global Strategy Balanced. These mix up global shares and bonds to reduce the investment volatility so even in a bad crash the drop would only be around 25% before the inevitable recovery starts.

Alex
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Sep 19, 10:28 AM
    • 11,388 Posts
    • 14,133 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:28 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:28 AM
    I am looking for long term investment, have no plan to withdraw ISA for next 5 years or more. The reason I cash out my ISA stocks and shares investment was to move the fund to an ISA saving or a safer, conservative portfolio for 1 year until market is more stable. Unfortunately, Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA cannot link to a ISA saving. This made me stuck with money uninvested.

Therefore I am looking for advice, where to find a safer, conservative portfolio in Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA.
    Originally posted by starkiwi26
    When you use the unusual term 'an ISA saving', do you mean a cash ISA?

If so, there's nothing stopping you from opening a cash ISA with another provider and transferring your S&S ISA into it, provided that the product you transfer to accepts inward transfers - just pick a provider (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/) and instruct them to process a transfer.

You can always transfer back to Fidelity at a later stage if you're being driven by a perception of short-term market conditions that encourages you to act like this, although I agree with Alex that you're probably better to take a long-term view of S&S investment and stick to a plan rather than tinkering....
    • starkiwi26
    • By starkiwi26 9th Sep 19, 11:18 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    starkiwi26
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:18 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 11:18 AM
    Thanks for advising!
    Yes, I mean a cash ISA.
    You're right, I agree with you.
    I should look for a balanced risk multi-asset fund, saving the hassle to open another cash ISA.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 11,388 Posts
    • 14,133 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    Thanks for advising!
    Yes, I mean a cash ISA.
    You're right, I agree with you.
    I should look for a balanced risk multi-asset fund, saving the hassle to open another cash ISA.
    Originally posted by starkiwi26
    Probably the right answer but not the right reason....

Invest in one or more suitably diversified funds if they're consistent with your circumstances, objectives and risk tolerance, not because you can't be bothered opening a cash ISA!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,446Users online

Martin's Twitter