Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arjaydavis
    • By arjaydavis 1st Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    arjaydavis
    Why fixed line/landline broadband when unlimited/high allowance mobile broadband deals available?
    • 1st Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    Why fixed line/landline broadband when unlimited/high allowance mobile broadband deals available? 1st Sep 19 at 8:23 PM
    As per question in title.

I'm assuming that:
    - unlimited mobile broadband deals include unlimited tethering
    - unlimited mobile broadband deals include unlimited 5G access, when it becomes available in the area of the user and if they get a 5G device at the start of the service or during the term, later on

I already have a EE mobile account, 60Gb per month, unlimited tethering within that data allowance.

I have an out-of-contract talktalk fixedline and broadband deal at 17Mbs down and 1Mbs up. This is no longer good value and I can see "unlimited" mobile broadband deals from Vodafone for similar price and which include 5G access should I have a capable device. Even if I don't have a 5G device, I already have a 2nd 4G capable phone that I could use with this service. O2 are offering 100Gb deal which also would possibly be plenty if I use it with my EE allowance. I have software, Speedify, that combines connections.

Credit rating agencies seem to still include landline as part of their rating criteria, based on my anecdotal evidence reading around the subject. I would strongly argue that this is an ancient, outdated, obsolete criterion and that they are going through the motions of assessing credit without questioning themselves.

5G has been heralded as a possible alternative to fibre broadband so this would further add to the point that the landline is outdated. 4G performs well too, particularly for upload speed.

So why would I want a fixedline/land-line based Broadband service?

I've posted on Vodafone's forum similar questions aimed at their unlimited offering.

I'm also posting here to increase visibility to help others as well as myself that they might not need a fixed line at all. The predicted obsolescence of the landline seems to be slower to come than it should and if what I am asking above turns out to be positive, then this could come much sooner.
    Last edited by arjaydavis; 01-09-2019 at 9:34 PM.
Page 2
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 19, 2:18 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    She needs the full home use amount so it looks like landline is the only viable option so will get hit with a £50 install charge and longish fixed term, that is what she was hoping to avoid being in rented. The 3 deal was ideal as she could pick it up and take it with her. She is going to check the 3 SIM outside to see if an an external aerial would make it workable. Will probably go to Sky for mobile.
    Originally posted by molerat
    £50 install?

Sky & NowTV at least are happy to move the BB with no charge or extended contract which should mitigate any concerns over future moves.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Sep 19, 4:14 PM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 15,653 Thanks
    molerat
    £50 install?

Sky & NowTV at least are happy to move the BB with no charge or extended contract which should mitigate any concerns over future moves.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Without a current landline ?
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Without a current landline ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/new-phone-line-installation-for-free.html

If you ask they'll frequently waive any cost for a new landline. Even though NowTV aren't on that list you can only ask.
    • Mickiemice
    • By Mickiemice 15th Sep 19, 7:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickiemice
    I’m considering this very question. My NowTV home Broadband deal is coming to an end. Currently pay £25 per month, and get around 30mb/s download speeds-sometimes as low as 17mb/s . I’m sure I can renegotiate something around that cost with someone if my price goes up, but have just discovered three download speeds are around 70-110 mb/s (92 last night on a Saturday night) I’d been thinking of switching my mobile to three as I use three PAYG for roaming in the states so had been testing three where I tend to use it. As a current customer they do unlimited home broadband with a better than standard router for £18. (Basic router £16 pm)

We don’t game but do stream, and don’t use the fixed line phone. I don’t know how much the latency will affect streaming on, NowTV it’s usually around 10ms sometimes up to 15. On Three it’s usually around 30 sometimes up to 50ms. I guess i’ll Need to test it out streaming on a Saturday night before committing.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Sep 19, 8:44 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Iím considering this very question. My NowTV home Broadband deal is coming to an end. Currently pay £25 per month, and get around 30mb/s download speeds-sometimes as low as 17mb/s . Iím sure I can renegotiate something around that cost with someone if my price goes up, but have just discovered three download speeds are around 70-110 mb/s (92 last night on a Saturday night) Iíd been thinking of switching my mobile to three as I use three PAYG for roaming in the states so had been testing three where I tend to use it. As a current customer they do unlimited home broadband with a better than standard router for £18. (Basic router £16 pm)

We donít game but do stream, and donít use the fixed line phone. I donít know how much the latency will affect streaming on, NowTV itís usually around 10ms sometimes up to 15. On Three itís usually around 30 sometimes up to 50ms. I guess iíll Need to test it out streaming on a Saturday night before committing.
    Originally posted by Mickiemice
    Latency won't affect streaming at all, it's bandwidth that matters for that, the player buffers enough content so that it's always in front of what you're watching. Low latency is almost exclusively a requisite for online PVP gaming.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,835Users online

Martin's Twitter