Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jakekg
    • By Jakekg 27th Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 29Thanks
    Jakekg
    Who's responsible?! Gas Meter Box
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    Who's responsible?! Gas Meter Box 27th Dec 18 at 8:12 PM
    Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive any lack of etiquette...

My gas meter box lock 'triangle' snapped off when I tried to read the meter a few weeks ago, but it's still in the locked position and I can't unlock it.

I've contacted British Gas, who supply me and they said Transco were responsible and if I forced it open I would be "tampering". So I then contacted Transco who said British Gas would be able to help... 17 phone calls later and I'm still no closer to figuring out what I'm supposed to do and its started to effect my billing because the estimates are way more than I'd actually use.

I don't really want to break into my box and risk "tampering" but I need to read my meters properly and I'm getting nowhere with Transco or British Gas.

Also I have arthritis so I genuinely might not be able to force it open even if it is allowed. Please help
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 27th Dec 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,668 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:16 PM
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:16 PM
    Hmm, sounds like you have been talking to an idiot.

Still they get no training on things like this. might be nice if thjey admited not knowing but then the call may last longer and they will be marked down. Easier to make something up.

Anyway. The box is the home owners resonsibility. Gas boxes are usually easy and so can be replaced without removing the meter. Unlike electric ones where you need a couple of vists you have to pay for to do it!

Plus you did break it! Very simple job, does not need any gas knowledge as they should not have to touch the meter. Could do it yourself even.
    • FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 27th Dec 18, 8:50 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    FestiveJoy
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:50 PM
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:50 PM
    Replacement latch available for £3.65 delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00KBWJJ9A

(Free delivery for Prime customers, or choose the option that is not fullfilled by amazon - it's one of the same sellers )

Nothing a local handyman couldn't replace, if it's too much of a challenge for you.

• matelodave
    • By matelodave 27th Dec 18, 8:55 PM
    • 4,657 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:55 PM
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:55 PM
    It's a DIY job - you can buy the doors separately or as shown above the lock can be replaced if the door is OK

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Product/Electrical+Lighting/Meter-Boxes/c/1500063
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Jakekg
    • By Jakekg 27th Dec 18, 8:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Jakekg
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:59 PM
    • 27th Dec 18, 8:59 PM
    Thanks all, I'm going to ask my work friend if he can have a look at getting the old one off at the weekend, then hopefully I should be able to fit the new one myself.

Its such a simple problem, but getting answers out of the gas people is like getting blood from a stone
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 28th Dec 18, 3:00 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 28th Dec 18, 3:00 PM
    • 28th Dec 18, 3:00 PM
    Thanks all, I'm going to ask my work friend if he can have a look at getting the old one off at the weekend, then hopefully I should be able to fit the new one myself.

Its such a simple problem, but getting answers out of the gas people is like getting blood from a stone
    Originally posted by Jakekg
    Thatís cos itís not the gas peopleís problem!

Will you be asking them to clean your windows next?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth
    • victor2
    • By victor2 28th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    • 5,007 Posts
    • 3,364 Thanks
    victor2
    • 28th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    • 28th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    Thatís cos itís not the gas peopleís problem!

Will you be asking them to clean your windows next?
    Originally posted by welshmoneylover
    In a sarcastic mood today?

The OP had a simple problem and contacted his supplier about it, as it was related to his gas supply. He ended up coming on here and, yourself excluded, got some useful answers.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 29th Dec 18, 9:00 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:00 AM
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:00 AM
    We meter readers carry a few spare latches. I can replace one in less than a minute. The newer made in China boxes are as usual sub standard in quality as everything made in bulk from China is. Some of the ones on new build estates are broken before anyone moves in.
    Personally I use a pair of sharp pointed snipe nosed pliers which when opened a little can grip the broken stub and turn it a little.
    The OP can complain to the supplier who may send someone to replace it. If not buy one from fleabay.. They should be only 50 p because that is more than they are worth but they probably will be much more. Certainly don t think about replacing the whole door for a simple broken latch
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 17th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    is this true ? the person who read the meter somehow damaged the latch so the latch has come off and now the meter box outside the house is open . Why should i pay to fix it when it was the member of staff from British gas who damaged it ?
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 17th Aug 19, 12:06 PM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    Houbara
    is this true ? the person who read the meter somehow damaged the latch so the latch has come off and now the meter box outside the house is open . Why should i pay to fix it when it was the member of staff from British gas who damaged it ?
    Originally posted by Tumtitums
    Yes, meter readers are the ones who can break the latch, only because they happen to be the ones undoing it when it breaks. Really stiff latches will start to fatigue and crumble off at the slightest touch. When one breaks I replace it in seconds. We carry the spare latches all ready..After all we only turn the things as we re supposed to do, if they crumble off and break its hardly our fault.
    BG and the others from the big six will probably replace it as a customer service but the likes of the dreadful Eversmart and others of their ilk, forget it.You would never be able to contact them. Ebay £1.50 ish gets you a new one
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 17th Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Yes, the useful answers provided by several MSEers 6 months ago in this thread are correct.

The consumer is responsible for taking proper reasonable care of the meter, and so where sited externally, must be in a suitable housing to protect it from the elements. Obviously, a door that is missing, or is able to fly open in the wind, does not meet the protection necessary.
    In fact, the door must only be able to be opened by use of a key or other appropriate tool.

If the door was maliciously damaged, as with anything else on the property, then you can pursue the person who maliciously caused that damage. (or perhaps claim off your property insurance)

But if the damage is caused through normal wear and tear, use, etc, then it falls upon the householder (or landlord as the case may be) to maintain it.

I cannot see anywhere as low as £1.50 delivered, but have found a lower price than the £3.65 delivered quoted 6 months ago.
    Either way, is it really worth getting too worked up over?
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 17th Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    the problem isnt about buying a new latch although i dont know how i am supposed to know which one will fit the box. Not everyone is physically or mentally able to buy and replace these things so if a british gas meter reader damages it then i would have thought they would be the ones legally responsible for replacing it
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Aug 19, 2:44 PM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 15,652 Thanks
    molerat
    How do you know they damaged it. It often happens that it falls apart when the meter reader opens it but does not mean that they broke it. Unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt they are responsible then I am afraid you are just going to have to get on and replace it yourself. If you are unable to do it yourself, just as with anything else, you will have to get someone in who can do it.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 6th Sep 19, 6:18 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    They repaired it yesterday
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Sep 19, 8:13 AM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    brewerdave
    They repaired it yesterday

As a matter of interest ,WHO repaired it? Presumably a routine meter reader visit?
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 15th Sep 19, 11:07 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    the meter reading company but not as part of a routine visit
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Sep 19, 3:50 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    shortcrust
    the problem isnt about buying a new latch although i dont know how i am supposed to know which one will fit the box. Not everyone is physically or mentally able to buy and replace these things so if a british gas meter reader damages it then i would have thought they would be the ones legally responsible for replacing it
    Not if they were simply using/operating it as intended. If it breaks when all they’ve done is turn a key then it was effectively already broken. The action of turning the key merely revealed the fault.

If my doorbell fell off when the postman simply pressed it I wouldn’t think he’d broken it and I wouldn’t expect him to repair it. Same thing really.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 15-09-2019 at 3:52 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Sep 19, 10:32 AM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    brewerdave
    the meter reading company but not as part of a routine visit

VERY surprised - will have cost them ££s to send out someone just to carry out a minor repair. I thought that the best you might achieve was a small payment to cover the cost of a new latch. Good luck to you anyway
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 16th Sep 19, 3:21 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    shortcrust
    VERY surprised - will have cost them ££s to send out someone just to carry out a minor repair. I thought that the best you might achieve was a small payment to cover the cost of a new latch. Good luck to you anyway
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I suppose there comes a point when dealing with a stream of phone calls and letters costs more than sending someone out to do the repair. You can imagine an exasperated ďnext time youíre in the area just fix it for them!Ē conversation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,890Posts Today

7,133Users online

Martin's Twitter