Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 19th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 3,406Posts
    • 1,748Thanks
    Cotta
    Honour in NI's Politicians?
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    Honour in NI's Politicians? 19th Jul 18 at 10:10 AM
    Hi All,

In light of the latest political scandal involving Ian Paisley who is showing no signs of resigning, I wonder if our local politicians have any honour? It is rare for one to resign when their standards fall short of parliamentary requirements, why is this the case?

Thanks
Page 1
    • ooo000ooo
    • By ooo000ooo 19th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 568 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    ooo000ooo
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    You expect the pigs to remove their snouts from the trough?
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 19th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    Hi All,

In light of the latest political scandal involving Ian Paisley who is showing no signs of resigning, I wonder if our local politicians have any honour? It is rare for one to resign when their standards fall short of parliamentary requirements, why is this the case?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Cotta
    A petition by 10% of his constituents is required to force his removal, which should be easy. He could of course resign and stand again in a by election.

These are the people who bang on about morality, gays, abortion. Free Presbyterian Pharisees - that's two gone down out of ten in just a few weeks. Quite a failure rate.
    The firewood scandal was likely due to carelessness and stupidity. This is simple dishonesty.

I wonder what the oul fella would have thought.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 19-07-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 19th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    A petition by 10% of his constituents is required to force his removal, which should be easy. He could of course resign and stand again in a by election.

These are the people who bang on about morality, gays, abortion. Free Presbyterian Pharisees - that's two gone down out of ten in just a few weeks. Quite a failure rate.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Two gone, who was the other?
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 19th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 19th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 19th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    Two gone, who was the other?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    David Simpson. He didn't do anything illegal. Just immoral and deceitful.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 19th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 19th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    How do you know a politician is lying?

She/He has his/her mouth open.
    Modern interpretation - she/he's posting on twitter.

Definitely not exclusive to NI. They don't actually seem able to help themselves. Snouts in the trough was a very good description.
    • Mrs Mac 1
    • By Mrs Mac 1 19th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Mrs Mac 1
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    SDLP's Conal McDevitt resigned
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 19th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    SDLP's Conal McDevitt resigned
    Originally posted by Mrs Mac 1
    Certainly did. He'd enriched himself by about £50,000 or so.

Paisley seems to have benefitted to the tune of £100,000 in two holidays. I presume it involved first class flights and five star hotels, but it's still a spectacular spend. It's an altogether different level of corruption from that MLA's as paisley appears to have been bought by the notoriously repressive Sri Lankan regime in an effort to have themselves promoted in Westminster. It suggests he was up for hire for any disreputable party prepared to pay him enough.

He's a disgrace to this place and he needs to go now.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 19,363 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 20th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 20th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    Well we've had to turn a blind eye to murderers and bombers in government here, maybe wee Ian thought we'd turn a blind eye to his holidays too?
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 20th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Well we've had to turn a blind eye to murderers and bombers in government here, maybe wee Ian thought we'd turn a blind eye to his holidays too?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Indeed, but they're not up in Westminster (their choice), and there's nothing like a free p on a morality trip. No one likes a hypocrite.
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 20th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    They know they are virtually untouchable and the worst that will happen is that they get found out.
    Surely he must have known that what he was doing was wrong and if he didn't it must call into question if he is capable of holding that position?
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 21st Jul 18, 9:41 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    x12yhp
    Paisley is somewhat confirming all the bad politician stereotypes. Moreover, he makes his constituency seem like a pack of idiots because, even if a by-election were held, the idiots would simply vote him back in.
    Always overestimating...
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 21st Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    BigAl94
    Worth a read https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ian-paisley-suspension-parliament-brexit-dup-theresa-may-sri-lanka-a8454316.html
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 21st Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    x12yhp
    I wonder if the percentage of DUP voters, who might consider reading the independent, tops 10%? I did see the story yesterday but the problem, as I see it, is that most of those who vote for him would put an x beside his name whilst watching him steal sweets from their children.

Let’s face it, in NI, many voters would happily enslave ‘the other side’, were they given opportunity. The people are stuck in the past and the politicians target that for their own benefit. No one can say that the politics of NI is benefiting the province.
    Always overestimating...
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 21st Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I wonder if the percentage of DUP voters, who might consider reading the independent, tops 10%? I did see the story yesterday but the problem, as I see it, is that most of those who vote for him would put an x beside his name whilst watching him steal sweets from their children.

Let!!!8217;s face it, in NI, many voters would happily enslave !!!8216;the other side!!!8217;, were they given opportunity. The people are stuck in the past and the politicians target that for their own benefit. No one can say that the politics of NI is benefiting the province.
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    It doesn't have to be those who voted for him who depose him. I'm quite sure 10% of his constituents can't stand the sight of him. They're the people who'll force a by election.
    What a corner boy.
    If he was my MP, I'd stand against him as an Anti Corruption candidate. Someone trying that in Antrim north might get enough votes to prevent the blighter getting elected. Go for it.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 21-07-2018 at 6:07 PM.
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 21st Jul 18, 7:15 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    x12yhp
    It doesn't have to be those who voted for him who depose him. I'm quite sure 10% of his constituents can't stand the sight of him. They're the people who'll force a by election.
    What a corner boy.
    If he was my MP, I'd stand against him as an Anti Corruption candidate. Someone trying that in Antrim north might get enough votes to prevent the blighter getting elected. Go for it.
    I realise it is ok to get the by election. What I mean is that he would simply run and win.
    Always overestimating...
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 21st Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,117 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I realise it is ok to get the by election. What I mean is that he would simply run and win.
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    Could he really survive this? I'd be looking at a suspended sentence at the least if I did something like that in my job. Could the electorate let him away with this?
    An anti corruption candidate is vital here, if only as a spoiler.

The Sri Lankan government were oppressing the Tamil minority, who wanted their own state in the north east of the island. This government that paisley was working for were determined to enforce a United island by any brutal means necessary.
    Now, does anyone see the irony here?
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 21-07-2018 at 9:43 PM.
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 21st Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    His expenses claims have always been right up there at the top and I think between 2010 & 2015 exceeded over £1 million.
    It's a hard life for some
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 22nd Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    BigAl94
    Sammy says lay off him! https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/youve-a-brass-neck-suggesting-ian-paisley-should-be-sacked-sammy-wilson-attacks-bbc-saying-mp-has-been-punished-enough-37142372.html
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 22nd Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    x12yhp
    Could he really survive this? I'd be looking at a suspended sentence at the least if I did something like that in my job. Could the electorate let him away with this?
    An anti corruption candidate is vital here, if only as a spoiler.
    Of course, I cannot say with certainty. I would happily put money on it. I would love to lose my money and be shown that the voters actually used their brains.
    Always overestimating...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

2,020Users online

Martin's Twitter