Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Matthew
    • By MSE Matthew 7th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 16Thanks
    MSE Matthew
    UPDATED with Link! There's a new Broadband Tool coming to MSE and we need YOUR help!
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    UPDATED with Link! There's a new Broadband Tool coming to MSE and we need YOUR help! 7th Jun 17 at 12:50 PM

Hello, Forumites!

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE>>>>>>>>

So you now know about this top-secret tool that we've been working on, we still need your feedback. It's your chance to directly shape what we're doing here at MSE Towers!

We've been creating a Broadband tool that shows the VERY BEST BROADBAND DEALS in the market and we'd love to give our Forumites EARLY ACCESS to the BETA version to see what you think!

We're hoping to give it full launch in the coming weeks, but want to see what you all think before it hits the masses. This'll be the first time anyone outside of the office has seen the tool, so I hope you're as excited as we are!

So in a nutshell
    'TRY OUT OUR BROADBAND TOOL AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!'

So, to see the tool and give it a whirl see the link below:
    [Unbundled broadband tool]

We'd love to know your comments here or in our optional FEEDBACK SURVEY (don't worry it's safe and anonymous) and all comments will go towards shaping this tool into being the best that MSE can offer.

Also, if you're unsure about anything - please comment with questions and we'll get back to you asap.

Thanks!

MSE Matthew
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 19-07-2017 at 4:45 PM.
Page 3
    • Former MSE Matt
    • By Former MSE Matt 19th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Former MSE Matt
    Hi all, Just letting you know we updated this thread with a direct link for our forumites to try out our new Broadband tool 'Unbundled' with the view to getting YOUR feedback either here, in the comments or on the survey link in the post above.

It would be awesome for you to give the tool a whirl as we value your MoneySaving feedback AND you get to try it out before anyone else (not of the forum) does too!.

So in a nutshell
    'TRY OUT OUR BROADBAND TOOL AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!'
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 20th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    steveE2
    No use to me as my line is FTTP and this only shows one fibre option(TalkTalk) which is FTTC only.
    Doesn't offer any fibre options from BT my current supplier
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 20th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Thanks for the feedback steveE2
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 28th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    Normally on the mse broadband guide there is a link to a custom special offer for bt broadband. Now it just says go to the broadband wizard. But if I do that it shows me results for all providers but NOT bt broadband?
    • unnameduser
    • By unnameduser 29th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    unnameduser
    Switched to BT infinity 1 based on results from MSE speed check but not entirely sure the monthly cost figure was accurate, don't think the up-front payments were taken into account.

We were also shown an offering from Vodafone but when checked on their web site they say we cannot get their service.

Know someone who switched to sky fibre from an MSE offer about a month ago and they say the figures given for that were not accurate either, up-front payments not figured in again.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 2nd Aug 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Worked a treat. Signed up to plusnet. Just wait and see if the cash back arrives now. Do I get a new badge for my profile? I'm sure that I'm overdue one for switching gas and leccy through MSE club as well !
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into something less...
    54 months - Total Reduction: £57,426.72
    Was: £136,000..........Now: £78,573.28
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 28.06% of £23,000
    • Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    • By Grumpy_Old_Duffer 3rd Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    Just wait and see if the cash back arrives now.
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    Definitely put it in your diary!!! See my post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72936860&postcount=188
    It has taken about 4,500,000,000 (4.5 billion) years for the Earth to form as it is now .........
    and it'll only take about another 100 years for mankind to really **** it up!!!!
    • Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    • By Grumpy_Old_Duffer 3rd Aug 17, 9:01 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    Tried the online tool and seems to work a treat. No 'clunkiness' ... nice and smooth operation. Shows every provider I've been able to find on my search around the internet. Wish I'd had access to this tool earlier ... would have saved me some time, and the effort, of putting the same information in on each providers site!!!

Why would anyone still use SKY??
    It has taken about 4,500,000,000 (4.5 billion) years for the Earth to form as it is now .........
    and it'll only take about another 100 years for mankind to really **** it up!!!!
    • Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    • By Grumpy_Old_Duffer 3rd Aug 17, 9:26 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Grumpy_Old_Duffer
    Uuumm! just tried NOW TV website and I get:-
    What you’ll pay each month
    Sky Sports Month Pass £33.99
    Fab Fibre £18.00
    Anytime calls £8.00
    Line rental £17.99
    Your Combo Offer -£12.99
    Total £64.99
    Cost after 12m offer £77.98

Don't see this one on the tool.
    • AnotherGrumpy1
    • By AnotherGrumpy1 16th Aug 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnotherGrumpy1
    Beta development
    Hi Mathew
    I've just used the broadband tool to check out my possible deals I'm currently with bt infinity2. I live in a rural area that was in the dark ages about 2 yrs ago with 0.5 megabit speeds. Local council working with bt rolled out fttp for this area. I tried to search for up to 76 meg speed and the tool didn't even pick it up from my current provider. It's a concern that open reach records aren't being updated speedily enough to alert other providers to the developments in this area to give Bt a competitive advantage. I know that Plusnet are joined with bt but even they say they can't offer fttp connection here. Am I missing something here or is fttp so unique other providers won't touch it. If it was fttc would it make a difference. Given bt is the main one rolling out superfast to rural areas is this part of their deal to have a monopoly for a period of time to recoup the costs of the exercise. If it is then I think this needs to be made public. Either way it makes a mockery of competition and means that your comparison tool struggles at the higher and generally more costly end of the range.
    Good luck with the future development of the tool and I look forward to any observations.
    • allfrey
    • By allfrey 16th Aug 17, 8:36 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    allfrey
    I need to know which deal is cheapest for long term use
    Though I switch gas, electricity, insurance, phone etc. regularly, I do not want to switch my broadband regularly because I do not want to risk losing a connection and because of the complications of setting up my router (and possibly being forced to use a new router) each year. I am therefore interested in the provider that offers me low rates without special offers. This is not something the new tool allows me to do.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 16th Aug 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Still no FTTP providers showing so of no use to me.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 16th Aug 17, 9:25 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    All of my results are 100% wrong because I physically can't receive any of them. My village is thankfully on FTTP, not FTTC.
    • mosexco
    • By mosexco 16th Aug 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mosexco
    Broadband Tool
    The MSE blagged deal from Sky, available to 25.08.17, does not mention that there is also a charge of £20 for the transfer of the existing telephone number from the present provider to Sky.
    • cyrilregis
    • By cyrilregis 20th Aug 17, 12:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cyrilregis
    I am joining Bt and buying the Bt infinity and the cost should be monthly £28.50 month and £9.99 monthly set up fee and this is what it showed before i started and now it is showing £59.99 set up fee and £31.00. It should be £9.99 and £28.50 per month. However I opted to pay 12month line rental upfront so the broadband infinity should be £9.00 a month.

This what I did I clicked the BT link and it took me to the Bt home page and it is showing £27.99 and £9.99 for 12months and £150 Bt reward card
    £27.99 + £9.99 up front fees 12 month contract.

But when I type in next and next and when it comes to finalised the price it is showing £59.99 connection fee and £31.99 even though I am paying line rental upfront. The price is changing,as my son is trying to get this offer, but the price increased at the end.

Has anyone had this issue.

. New (from Wed only). BT fibre b'band & line '£16.33/mth'. New BT broadband customers can apply via this BT link* from today (Wed) till Thu 24 Aug to get up-to-52Mb speed fibre (3x normal) with unlimited downloads on a 1yr contract. Fibre is best for heavy downloading, streaming, gaming or multiple users. Here are the key points:

- It's available to 83% of the UK. It depends on your postcode - you're told when applying (or use Broadband Unbundled which only shows deals available in your postcode).
    - You pay normal BT line rental, currently £18.99/mth. Weekend calls to UK landlines included - for others, see BT call costs.
    - Discounted fibre, £9/mth for the year. A huge discount on the standard £28.50/mth.
    - £9.99 set-up, usually £59.99. Again, a big discount on standard costs.
    - Get £150 on a prepaid Mastercard that you MUST claim. Annoyingly, as BT won't remind you, diarise to use this Mastercard claim link within 3mths of activation (takes up to 45 days after).
    - Could BT hike prices? Sadly it can, but you may be able to leave penalty-free if that happens.

Cost analysis: It's cheaper than lots of standard speed deals, even though you get MUCH faster fibre. You pay £345.87 over the year before calls. But claim and use the Mastercard (as good as cash where it's accepted) and it's a net £195.87 cost, equiv to £16.33/mth.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 20th Aug 17, 12:04 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Use BT livechat and have them walk throught the process with you to find out where it is going wrong.
    • cyrilregis
    • By cyrilregis 20th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cyrilregis
    Thank you your reply.
    I did and they kept saying it is to do with the external website and he did not know much I think , as I he was Bt advisor and not interested on the money saving expert offer.

I did copy and paste the moneysaving expert offer and I don't he understood.

The below information when you clicked the Bt link from moneysaving expert. This is the first page.

Unlimited Infinity
    WEEKEND CALLSFIBRE OPTIC100GB CLOUDBT VIRUS PROTECT ON 2 DEVICES
    Up to
    52Mb
    speed
    Totally
    Unlimited
    usage every month
    BT Smart Hub
    UK's most powerful wi-fi signal*

£27.99
    + £9.99 up front fees
    12 month contract
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 20th Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Try again. Hopefully you will get a different livechat person who is actually helpful. If you are not running out of time, email MSE to tell them that the offer process is not working.
    • cyrilregis
    • By cyrilregis 20th Aug 17, 3:43 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cyrilregis
    I spoke to Bt customer service on phone, as I am already a existing customer and my contract runs out on 19th September 2017 and my Son want to buy his own broadband on his name and using the existing telephone number , as I do not want to be responsible anymore for the broadband, so I told him you are now working, I want you to take responsibly in your name.

But due to the telephone number when I type it ,it detects there is line active on Bt. So this is why at the package it is not showing the moneysaving expert discounts,it shows at the beginning,but half way down the process the price goes up due to the number is active and live with Bt.

I do not how to go about it,as I told my son this what they said,as it could of helped with the low cost and £150 bt reward.

I do not know if there is way around it or not.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 20th Aug 17, 3:53 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Well, you can't have two account names on the same BT landline account.

How about your son ordering an additional landline at your address in his name? Probably a non-starter because of the cost of an additional line rental.

Why don't you want to be responsible for the broadband? If the package has unlimited usage that would not be an issue. Your son should be paying you for his use of your broadband - how about £10-15/month?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter