Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 4:54 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 4:54 PM
    Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 4:54 PM

Hi all, we have a new Broadband Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
Page 3
  • archived user
    I've been with VM for years and they are increasing their prices every time while their service remains the same. I cancelled today and the women offered me £2 off! and I pay £36 a month, told her to shove that offer and I'd like to cancel, so she started comparing on uswitch and it was just all shocking lies new customers can get 100MB internet for £28 and she was fobbing me off, so I told her to cancel.

My tactic is to have a price that I'm comfortable paying if they can't match it cancel, I don't really haggle got no time for it, plus i know they usually call you back in a couple of days for a better deal
    • mikebetts
    • By mikebetts 26th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mikebetts
    Experience with BT
    On Saturday, BT sent me an email with the headline "Upgrade to 50Mb Superfast Fibre broadband for FREE.

Reading the detail it outlined that I could have the Fibre broadband at the same price as I already pay for standard broadband (£45) I am a BT Broadband (standard) customer of 5 years standing. I also have anytime calls (£7.99) and 2 mobile phone SIMS (£5 each with discount).

A quick look at BT website informed me they were offering the same BB to new customers for £29.99! Now, superfast fibre has only just arrived here and only option to switch was sky who could offer me BB of similar speed for £30.

I phoned BT on Sunday and after l lengthy call the operator obtained me manager offer of £34.99 for the BB deal which was only open to take at that time. I am never in a hurry so rejected it.

I phined again tonigth and a different operator went to a different manager and achived me the deal of £29.99 for the BB same as new customers.

Morral of the story....never gove and certainly never take first offer.

Mike
    • Hevski
    • By Hevski 1st Dec 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hevski
    You are all really lucky!!
    I live in the Highlands, my Internet speeds are a download of 1.75mbps at the most and .35 uploads and I'm being charged by thieving BT £56 a month for this privilege, I've haggled and pleaded with them.. I've had such shitty service from BT. I was cut off for 3 months because of snow at one point and they wanted to charge me for that. And then if the wires get damaged by water ingress I have to call them out for that too. And they are quick to blame the problem on you at first until they realise it is their own equipment. I am on disability benefits too, so I can't afford these extraordinarily expensive prices for such a shoddy service.
    I have argued my case so many times, they were meant to bring it down to £25, a month, but oh not quite it creeped back up to £35 a month. And now! I am at the end of my 18 month contract I think now, I'm not sure, but I think it's entirely unfair that I'm paying this price for these speeds..
    I think people have speeds like mine, should be offered a severe discount of like at least £15 a month, it's disgusting.

I'm thinking of switching to SSE, but there aren't many providers. So I don't know what to do. There's no fibre optic of course either. You are so lucky if you can get really fast speeds for £18 a month.....
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Dec 18, 9:35 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    editor1
    Just renewed with Sky for £16.99, the price point I achieved earlier this year, thus our Line Rental, unlimited ASDL BB and Anytime call package is more than 50% less than the listed price, initially Sky offered a £5 discount on LineRental, when i got on to chat they initially offered an inclusive package of £20.50 a month for 12 months, when i mentioned their sister company was offering its service to new customers for less than what I've been paying most of the year, they re-newed my £16.99 deal for 12 months - given i've had decent service with Sky since joining them and that my actually cost is lower than three years ago with PlusNet, i'm quite satisfied by this - hopefully, next year will be able to get a Fibre connection, including Anytime calls for 20 quid a month, in which case I'd upgrade.
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 4th Dec 18, 10:40 AM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    katies mum
    I also renewed with Sky chat and for £23 monthly for 12 months and got line rental for £8.99, unlimited Fibre Broadband for £6.01 and anytime calls £8. I was very happy with this price (I also mentioned Now broadband prices)
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Dec 18, 11:34 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    editor1
    @katie's mum,

Can't really argue with that because you have both fibre and unlimited calls, our deal was £8.99 Line Rental, £8.00 Anytime calls and ASDL BB free, we are on under a 5Mbps service, which is only used when i'm visiting my folks in reality - so its line rental and anytime calls they want as cheap as possible.

Again, once regular fibre costs from to the 20 quid mark inclusive of Anytime calls i'll switch the folks over.
    • RachelLee99
    • By RachelLee99 11th Jan 19, 9:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachelLee99
    BT (70mb + line rental + weekend calls) £24.99
    I switched to BT two years ago from EE via Topcashback at a cost of £30.99 pm (with the cash back, it was effectively £19 (line rental + 35mb speed + weekend unlimited calls) for 12 months. I was given a speed boost to 75mb sometime during the contract. When it came up for renewal, I told them I would like to leave, so they reduced it to £25 (from £30.99). The price was increased to 27.5 in Sept 2018.
    When the contract expired this month, they started charging me £43. So I rang them again and they said they are happy to keep the price at 27.5 for an 18-month contract. I said I am not prepared to pay more than £25, so she asked me to wait and came back with an offer of £24.99. Vodafone and Now are effectively £22.5 pm after cash back for the same speed. Did anyone get BT sports thrown in for similar price? or am I asking for too much? :-))
    Last edited by RachelLee99; 11-01-2019 at 9:22 PM.
    • ET18
    • By ET18 16th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ET18
    I just called Virgin Media who I have a 30 day rolling contract with for their vivid 200 offer. I currenty pay £35.24 for broadband only. Said i didnt need speeds this fast and only had 200 as they gave me a free upgrade last year.

They offered a new contract for £25 a month for the same deal, said downgrading to the vivid 100 I would be worse off. Now i have a 14 day cooling period, is there much else I can get, or should i be looking for a better deal still?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Jan 19, 12:17 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    They offered a new contract for £25 a month for the same deal, said downgrading to the vivid 100 I would be worse off. Now i have a 14 day cooling period, is there much else I can get, or should i be looking for a better deal still?
    Originally posted by ET18
    That's the deal for new customers at the moment for 100Mb plus a £75 credit on the account, see if you can get the same deal.

Do you need 200Mb (presuming you actually get that at peak times).
    • ET18
    • By ET18 18th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ET18
    The only reason I am currently getting 200Mb is because they upgraded me for free during my contract for 100Mb. I have called to try and get them to negotiate a lower cost for my now, rolling 30 day ontract but they insist that I cannot get 200Mb elsewhere.

There are 4 of us, who stream and download quite a bit and currently friday 6.30pm I am getting 214Mb/s -though we are not always using during peak. We don't use a landline , or have a tv package either.

Should I be looking for a better offer in your opinion, since this is what they are offering new customers and i have been with them for 2-3 years now.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    The only reason I am currently getting 200Mb is because they upgraded me for free during my contract for 100Mb. I have called to try and get them to negotiate a lower cost for my now, rolling 30 day ontract but they insist that I cannot get 200Mb elsewhere.

There are 4 of us, who stream and download quite a bit and currently friday 6.30pm I am getting 214Mb/s -though we are not always using during peak. We don't use a landline , or have a tv package either.

Should I be looking for a better offer in your opinion, since this is what they are offering new customers and i have been with them for 2-3 years now.
    Originally posted by ET18
    Sorry, I think I misread your original post. £25 for 200Mbs is actually good, given your usage I wouldn't bother trying to downgrade just to save a couple of quid.
    • El_Presidente
    • By El_Presidente 24th Jan 19, 1:26 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    El_Presidente
    Just off the phone to Virgin for third time in a week - they are playing hardball. A 15 year customer whose bills have gone up 30%+ in just the last 2 years.

Yesterday I asked for a discount off my Full House package (£79/m), also stating that my TV service was not working properly and I was waiting for an engineer visit, and was offered £6 off a month. I left it and just called back this lunchtime, through to customer retentions and told them I was off. Still offered £6 off my current package or a downgrade saving to Mix Package at £53/m. Overall that does save me £26 a month, but I loose half my channels, lots of HD and my internet speed is reduced.

Told them I'll sleep on it - may need to actually book a disconnection.

Meanwhile engineer calls to look at bad TV picture pixelation, tells me that it's a local Virgin upgrade project running in my area for 'several weeks'!
    • Carfilhiot
    • By Carfilhiot 25th Jan 19, 1:24 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Carfilhiot
    I have just renewed with BT after taking over responsibility for the account from another family member, and ended up paying £26.99 per month for "Broadband & Calls", less than half what we were paying previously.
    • Bungaroosh
    • By Bungaroosh 27th Feb 19, 5:25 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Bungaroosh
    I switched to BT two years ago from EE via Topcashback at a cost of £30.99 pm (with the cash back, it was effectively £19 (line rental + 35mb speed + weekend unlimited calls) for 12 months. I was given a speed boost to 75mb sometime during the contract. When it came up for renewal, I told them I would like to leave, so they reduced it to £25 (from £30.99). The price was increased to 27.5 in Sept 2018.
    When the contract expired this month, they started charging me £43. So I rang them again and they said they are happy to keep the price at 27.5 for an 18-month contract. I said I am not prepared to pay more than £25, so she asked me to wait and came back with an offer of £24.99. Vodafone and Now are effectively £22.5 pm after cash back for the same speed. Did anyone get BT sports thrown in for similar price? or am I asking for too much? :-))
    Originally posted by RachelLee99
    This sounds a brilliant deal that I would like to get myself. Just got a letter from BT through the post offering to renew the same as what you've got for 18 months for £40 p/m, with a £50 gift card. The standard rate for this is a frankly ridiculous £58.99.

I'm tempted to ring them and say I "know someone" who has this deal for £24.99. I'd rather stick with BT wherever possible as touch-wood have had very few problems with them over the years, and I read about someone who had nine months of problems after switching from BT to Plusnet. I've never done much haggling before but it must be worth a try -- you make it sound effortless!
    • Bungaroosh
    • By Bungaroosh 27th Feb 19, 5:27 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Bungaroosh
    I have just renewed with BT after taking over responsibility for the account from another family member, and ended up paying £26.99 per month for "Broadband & Calls", less than half what we were paying previously.
    Originally posted by Carfilhiot
    What broadband speed is this? Thanks!
    • fingerbob7
    • By fingerbob7 1st Mar 19, 6:40 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    fingerbob7
    SKy let me go without any offer
    Have been on Sky for three years, getting Sky fibre unlimitted. I renewed in Oct for 18 months at £25 a month including line rental (was previously on better offer at £20). When the price went up so soon to £27 I called and tried haggling, I was told there was nothing better they could offer. So I decided to cancel and go with Vodaphone at £21 a month.

Now in the past two days I've read some very negative reviews about Vodaphone and decided to go to Plusnet.
    Last edited by fingerbob7; 04-03-2019 at 5:28 PM.
    • Dusty Bin
    • By Dusty Bin 7th Mar 19, 7:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dusty Bin
    My £20 per month deal with Now TV Broadband for so-called Fibre Max (up to 35mbps) ends soon with the standard price starting at £39.99pm, so nearly doubling.

I called them asking for a better deal and was offered £25pm on a 12 month contract or £27pm with no fixed term contract.

They're offering the same price (£25pm) to "new" customers but with inclusive anytime calls, which is worth an extra £8pm.

I asked if they could match that deal for me as an existing customer and was told that they couldn't.

So much for loyalty!
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 26th May 19, 12:57 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    pphillips
    Been paying Virgin Media around £10 a month (plus annual line rental saver) for broadband for years. Discounts have just ended, tried haggling and the best they will do is £22 a month for a 12 month contract or £29 a month for rolling contract. Feeling trapped as live rental saver runs until January 2020.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th May 19, 1:19 PM
    • 13,341 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Work out what you can get if you leave and factor in lost ALR .
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 26th May 19, 1:35 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    pphillips
    Lost ALR is around £110 then you need to factor in BT line installation cost (free with Sky) and then you have the slight speed reduction as well, so is it worth it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,702Posts Today

8,877Users online

Martin's Twitter