Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    • 14,288Posts
    • 38,224Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 8:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 237
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Aug 19, 6:47 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 29,336 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Eat the YS pork chops with homegrown beans and carrots for supper yesterday. It will be make-do fridge clearance now until Wednesday and then a bit of a break for us. I must reorganise our freezer so that Son can see a selection of ready meals as he is house and cat-sitting for us and while he might pick stuff, he is unlikely to anything but freeze it!
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 5th Aug 19, 7:42 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Today's plan is prepping lunch for tomorrow in the slow cooker. It's an Indian brown lentil recipe - another new one for me. Just hope it's more successful than the last recipe from the same book!

Tonight's dinner is jerk chicken thighs using thighs from freezer - they're currently marinading in the fridge ready to cook tonight. Will have with coconut rice & peas (beans!).

Have got some mince out of the freezer to use for dinner tomorrow. Will decide what tomorrow, LOL!

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 5th Aug 19, 9:32 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Nothing in or out of freezers and cupboards today but some cheese from fridge and l/o from fridge from yesterday. Want to rack brains to think of some freezer stuff for meals this coming week, need to start freeing up space ready for the C word.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 5th Aug 19, 9:34 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Nothing in or out of cupboards and freezers today, some cheese and l/o meal from yesterday out of fridge. Need to start thinking of freezer foods for rest of week menu to make some room ready for the C word.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 6th Aug 19, 7:02 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    pamsdish
    IN:0
    OUT:Pork chop.
    2018 2285/2149
    2019 2000=364-19=345-7=338-32=306
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 6th Aug 19, 7:57 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Made a rough menu plan for the week using mainly freezer goods. Think I will make chicken kebabs today, never even opened the bag of chicken chunks so thats a start, some peppers in freezer, have fresh mushrooms and onion, own grown toms/potatoes and a own grown side salad too.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Aug 19, 11:03 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Still haven't decided what to do with the mince yet but think I might make a shepherds pie and put it in the freezer just to use it. I've got other stuff planned which needs using so seems the best idea.

Tonight we're having a corned beef hash to use up an already opened can of corned beef. Everything else from stores.

Denise
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 7th Aug 19, 7:14 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    pamsdish
    OUT: Chicken leg for tomorrow, haddock for today.
    Last edited by pamsdish; 07-08-2019 at 4:15 PM.
    2018 2285/2149
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Aug 19, 7:36 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Ended up cooking the mince and adding it to the LO lentil dish which has now been frozen.

Have a curry in the SC cooking while I'm at the hospital today. Will just need to cook some rice to go with it tonight.

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 7th Aug 19, 8:59 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    I put the kebabs into a tortilla so 2 of them used up. Had a plan for tonight but dd coming with dgs who will be staying over so got a pizza and garlic bread out of freezer to have with hg salad, and we may go out for lunch, but if not, we will have that for lunch and will have to freezer drive for the 2 of us tonight, would love to have fish & chips from shop but really really want to eat out of freezer as neighbour is planning on giving me some sort of Asian lentil meal as its a religious week, if I get that today then instead of in freezer, dgs will absolutely love that, will have to see. Still have some of the curry and rice she gave me in the freezer, she likes to give me the Indian foods as a totally un-neccessary "payment" for me taking her out to docs and shops in car as well as being "there for her" if she has to have any sort of tradesman round the house, gas man etc. or any problems she is unsure about.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 8th Aug 19, 11:09 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Oh its all gone to pot again today. Dgs and I had a pizza and garlic bread out of freezer for lunch and the curry last night, this morning I prepared some pasta to have with a prawn ring (I love them) which de-frosted overnight as a prawn pasta lunch, then I got a job in town, a lunch for 2 in a special place I have not been to before, dgs is old enough now so thats what we are doing for lunch, he will go home this afternoon so I will have the pasta for the next day or so. I sent him to Co-op for the meal deal so the spece I had made in freezer has now been filled again.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Aug 19, 1:28 PM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Nothing out today. However I've moved the last of the food out of the outside chest freezer into my inside fridge/freezer and defrosted the chest one finally! Been wanting to do it for quite a long time.

Last night I got a whole belly of pork out to slow cook on the BBQ for lunch at the weekend with the family. I'll make a BBQ sauce to baste it with. Will use the indoor oven to make roasted potatoes, roasted veg - onion, carrots, peppers and some cabbage & green beans. Looking forward to spending time with the family as we don't see them as often as we'd like because we live quite a distance from them.

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 9th Aug 19, 10:17 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Grandson had half tin baked beans yeasterday so I have other half for today, got to have the prawn pasta to myself today, ate half the prawns with dip last night with some apricot cheese and blueberry cheese from fridge so at least I ate some of my stock. I love the fancy cheese now and then.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Aug 19, 10:51 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Got some HM tikka masala out last night and have used it to marinade some destined chicken thighs. Will cook in the oven later for dinner. Hoping there will be a bit of sauce still with it. Will have with some HM pilau rice.

Have got some sausages out this morning to have tomorrow night.

Denise
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 10th Aug 19, 8:36 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    pamsdish
    OUT: Pork joint.
    whmf00001 I too love the fancy cheese usually pick some up y.s. in Tesco yesterday got a goat cheese and a chunk of Davidstow extra mature, they had some White Stilton but really prefer blue cheeses so passed on that, got a y.s. steak will eat that on a sourdough roll for lunch.
    2018 2285/2149
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Aug 19, 10:34 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,422 Thanks
    joedenise
    Nothing out of the freezer today. Some butchers sausages which will be used for fry ups at weekends over the rest of the month!

As I've switched off my outside freezer I have to be careful not to buy anything else to go in there, at least until we've eaten some of what is in the inside one first! Most of it will be used this month as I've done my menu plan for the month using meat and fish from the freezer!

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 10th Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Its all going wrong again, neighbout gave me a marg tub full of Home made Indian lentil curry. Some tonight but the rest will be portioned and frozen. Bought Co-op Meal deal so thats packet of Youngs fish, fish cakes, McCain chips, Co-op peas and Carte D'or ice-cream so thats at least 4 fishy and a couple of curries goin in. Nothing out.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 11th Aug 19, 8:42 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Was not too keen on the lentil curry, one of the spices was not - well, something - so 2 potions in freezer, just for when I have forgotten what it was like and I eat it, was OK but just not my taste this time. Took a chicken breast out for today and 2 little - I think savoury cup cake type things, I am sure they are savoury not sweet, but they are in freezer de-frosting, maybe lunch tomorrow with salad!! Going to Lidl but not planning on buying stuff to freeze.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 12th Aug 19, 7:53 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    pamsdish
    OUT: 0
    IN: 6 pork chops a neighbour who was in right place right time snapped up several, distributing some and I get 1.
    2018 2285/2149
    • dan958
    • By dan958 12th Aug 19, 8:52 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    dan958
    Out: Pulled chicken burrito for lunch, and a lentil stew for dinner.
    In: 0
    Grocery Challenge
    In Process - October 0/80
    Previous Month - September- 74.76/80
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,005Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter