Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:32 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

British Gas

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:58 PM.
Page 3
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Mar 16, 11:03 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Still no Welcome Pack though, is this a paper document received through the post or was the Welcome to BG email a few weeks ago the communication which covers this?
    Originally posted by M271
    Hi M271

The 'Welcome Pack' is a slight industry misnomer - if you signed up to get updated via email, then you wouldn't usually get anything in addition to the 'welcome to BG email' which you mention.

Hope this helps.
    • M271
    • By M271 9th Mar 16, 11:23 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Hi M271

The 'Welcome Pack' is a slight industry misnomer - if you signed up to get updated via email, then you wouldn't usually get anything in addition to the 'welcome to BG email' which you mention.

Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    Thanks for the confirmation ref the 'Welcome Pack'.
    Things seem to the moving OK for me now following my meter reading email from BG last night.
    • M271
    • By M271 9th Mar 16, 7:00 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Well I've created my online account and during that process it asked me for my opening meter readings, which I did. It did not show me the options of either online meter readings or new customer readings that the other thread was showing. Hopefully all is OK.
    • noddy64
    • By noddy64 9th Mar 16, 8:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    noddy64
    me too! Totally lost confidence in their ability to provide a good service & i haven't even started with them yet!!
    • 597money
    • By 597money 9th Mar 16, 9:10 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    597money
    I too got an email at 11pm last night. I used the http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58 method of submitting figures.

Electric asked for two readings day and night but I only have one reading so I just entered that in day and left night blank.

Is this correct?

Thanks
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 9th Mar 16, 9:16 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    I too got an email at 11pm last night. I used the http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58 method of submitting figures.

Electric asked for two readings day and night but I only have one reading so I just entered that in day and left night blank.

Is this correct?

Thanks
    Originally posted by 597money
    That's correct - IIRC, there is a "?" Help link next to the Electricity meter readings boxes and that gives the instruction to do what you did.
    Last edited by jeallen01; 10-03-2016 at 7:50 AM.
    • M271
    • By M271 9th Mar 16, 9:17 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271

Is this correct?

Thanks
    Originally posted by 597money
    I left the night box blank a well.
    • BeeRay
    • By BeeRay 10th Mar 16, 9:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BeeRay
    Nothing at all for gas supply
    I know I am not alone (thankfully) but I have heard nothing at all[, despite my phoning them and being told "you will hear soon", which was 10 days ago. They were quick enough to get us to sign up but why the lack of communication? Appalling customer service - and I agree, we ain't even started with them yet. Can MSE bring some pressure to bear?
    • marksmith99
    • By marksmith99 10th Mar 16, 1:19 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    marksmith99
    My gas switch was one of those affected by the system problems, but I've received no communication on this from BG.

My online account shows no electric or gas supply, though I was told this morning via email that the electric has switched, gas not until 15 March (original application 4 Feb). Not sure why nothing is showing in the online account and can imagine that is going to take lots of painful calls to sort out.

The oft repeated mantra that switching is easy and stress free is an out and out lie. My parents have never switched out of fear of losing supply, irrational maybe but that's the way many people think. After this fiasco I couldn't hand on heart tell them to do it. The stress and worry my mum would go through if there was an issue would not be worth the saving.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 10th Mar 16, 1:47 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Patronising or what?!
    Originally posted by Ellie2758
    Hi Ellie2758

Sorry to hear that. Can I point you in the direction of my earlier post which covered this?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58

I hope this helps.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 10th Mar 16, 10:16 PM
    • 27,961 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    Cardew
    I have received categorical assurance that I have been a BG customer since 01 March.

I confirm, we've stored your readings of xxxxx (gas) and Day- yyyy/ Night- zzzzz (electricity) on the account for our information purpose.

We've started supplying energy at 23 railway cottages, East Cheam since 1 March 2016. Just to let you know, it takes up to 28 days from the supply start date for the account to be completely set-up. As 28 days have not passed yet, you may be facing the error while submitting reading. Please don’t worry, once your gas and electricity account gets completely set up with us, a welcome letter along with the Customer Reference Number will be sent to you in 7 working days at the supply address. You'll also be able to see the account details.
    I have received categorical assurance from Scottish Power that I am still their customer. They have taken the March DD, and reduced the DD for April. My on-line account is still open and live.

I find it amusing, and refuse point blank to spend any more time on phone calls and emails.
    Last edited by Cardew; 10-03-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 10th Mar 16, 10:33 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    Well I've created my online account and during that process it asked me for my opening meter readings, which I did. It did not show me the options of either online meter readings or new customer readings that the other thread was showing. Hopefully all is OK.
    Originally posted by M271
    We do seem to be part of the same 'intake'. I used the 'submit your meter readings' button at the top of the BG email and entered my online meter readings along with the meter point numbers. I got a confirmation that they'd been received and they'd use it to make sure that my first bill was accurate.

Like you, I hope it's OK. I'm not confident though. For one thing, the screen I went to wasn't remotely like the one MSE Dan put up on the thread. For another, I then tried to follow the instructions to register an online account and the whole thing's hung.

Not a promising start.

Is it always like this when you switch?

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    1560.75/2018 (total now includes pre-thread decluttering)
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 10th Mar 16, 10:46 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    Good Grief! That was quick!
    I've just had an email from BG saying:

Hello Mrs Basketcase

Thank you for your latest meter reading of xxxx for your gas account and xxxxx for your electricity account.

We're adding this to your account now and will let you know when your bill is ready.

ETA: The online account seems to work too..

Can I presume I'm up and running do you think?

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 16, 2:55 AM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,893 Thanks
    beanielou
    I've just had an email from BG saying:

Hello Mrs Basketcase

Thank you for your latest meter reading of xxxx for your gas account and xxxxx for your electricity account.

We're adding this to your account now and will let you know when your bill is ready.

ETA: The online account seems to work too..

Can I presume I'm up and running do you think?
    Originally posted by basketcase
    Maybe.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 11th Mar 16, 7:13 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    Maybe.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Cautious optimism and asking someone to stick their head above the parapet to see if it's OK then?

It didn't seem to be quite as hassley as it has been for some others.

That's what worries me...

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 16, 7:44 AM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,893 Thanks
    beanielou
    Cautious optimism and asking someone to stick their head above the parapet to see if it's OK then?

It didn't seem to be quite as hassley as it has been for some others.

That's what worries me...
    Originally posted by basketcase
    That would worry me too.

Mind you with awesome timing ~~ not ~~ I am also changing phone and broadband provider & that is truly dire.
    I shall be a basket case.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • k18dan
    • By k18dan 11th Mar 16, 8:02 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    k18dan
    I'm just forgetting about my switch and going to see what happens

I got an email link asking for my opening meter reeding's which I submitted, not heard anything else.

For people that have come from Sainsbury's - will the account balance be automatic moved across to BG? Or will I have to phone through to get my credit refunded?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 16, 8:21 AM
    • 66,937 Posts
    • 302,893 Thanks
    beanielou
    I'm just forgetting about my switch and going to see what happens

I got an email link asking for my opening meter reeding's which I submitted, not heard anything else.

For people that have come from Sainsbury's - will the account balance be automatic moved across to BG? Or will I have to phone through to get my credit refunded?
    Originally posted by k18dan
    I think you will need to phone.

***Keep plodding***
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 11th Mar 16, 8:23 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Just been into both my BG & SP accounts as the nominal change over date was 3 March, and/but:
    - From the BG a/c, the gas changeover seems to be "almost there", but step 3 (meter readings) not yet complete & step 4 not started. OTOH the electricity a/c, which was there a few days ago, has now disappeared!
    - From the SP a/c, the gas changeover seems to have "happened" as this element has disappeared completely. OTOH, the electricity a/c is still there, but with the next DD shown as £0 on 11 May.

Everything "seems" to be progressing, albeit slowly, but still messy and unclear.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Mar 16, 8:44 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    It turned out that they had had a big problem with their systems being able to handle the new flow of clients and their IT department had to sort out the problem which was going to take about 10 days. It appears that one of my energy supplies may now be with BG whilst the other will not move over until the middle of March. They mentioned that I was not the only customer who had had a problem with their new account!
    Originally posted by irie
    Hi Irie

I agree that the technical glitch that BG had when processing some of the switches is rather frustrating. We've actually been posting about this on the forum, our FAQ pages and even sent out an email to all the users impacted. Can I point you towards the question 'One of my fuels is showing as rejected Ė has the switch gone through?' at the top of this link?
    https://cheapenergyclub.moneysavingexpert.com/faq

Hopefully things will go smoother from here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,058Posts Today

7,800Users online

Martin's Twitter