Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:32 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

British Gas

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:58 PM.
Page 2
    • vigman
    • By vigman 18th Feb 16, 9:38 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    vigman
    If I do go for a dual fuel switch with BG, my current gas provider, what is the process for arranging a new supplier or different gas account with BG at the end of the fixed period please?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 18th Feb 16, 10:56 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @vigman

At the end of the fixed period of the switch (12 months time) if you do nothing, BG will put you on their cheapest standard tariff for both fuels which cannot have exit fees. So you will have a continuation of supplier. Of course, standard tariffs are very expensive compared to the collective deals.

However, you will be free to arrange a swap without exit fees anytime in the last 42 days of the fixed period (i.e. the 6 weeks up to its end date). You can use any comparison site at that time to find out which tariff on the market then is best for you and you can switch then.

If you wish to swap before then, then you would be liable to the BG exit fees. Again use a comparison site to see what is available and the costs.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 18th Feb 16, 1:52 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Hi Civvy21

Yes that's right - these are worked separately as the switch of supply need to go through a different process.

Your gas will probably move to the new tariff sooner than the electric.
    • Civvy21
    • By Civvy21 19th Feb 16, 1:02 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Civvy21
    Thanks Dan,

I did end up speaking to British Gas and they said that for some reason my Gas switch had not gone through. They have now re processed the order, although this may have been after the thursday deadline. I am assuming this will not cause any problems.

Hope it all runs smoothly now.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 19th Feb 16, 2:40 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    nickcc
    I'm switching from npower to BG through MSE, saving almost £500 per annum. Had three emails so far from BG saying gas switch will be 29/2, 1/3 now 2/3, hopefully made up their mind now. Still waiting on electric switch dates.
    Also had email from npower saying thanks for being our customer and no cancellation charges will be made.
    Last edited by nickcc; 19-02-2016 at 4:38 PM.
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 6th Mar 16, 8:26 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    JenniferK
    Here we go again - the 6th time I have had this from BG: I despair.

" Sorry, we couldn't process your reading

Hello Ms Kenyon

We're having some technical problems with our website. We would be grateful if you could try to resubmit your reading in 24 hours, or call our automated phone line free on 0800 107 0224*.

Please have your Customer Reference Number to hand, shown on this email to the right, and choose option 4 from the menu.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience."

• camhan
    • By camhan 6th Mar 16, 10:25 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    camhan
    I also have received the same message again. I must have received this message at least 8 times now and have also called and given my readings. I wish the whole transfer could be cancelled as this is just ridiculous now!!!!
    • kittykitten
    • By kittykitten 7th Mar 16, 8:27 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    kittykitten
    Has anyone else heard absolutely nothing from BG? Did switch on 14th February, got confirmation email from MSE cheap energy club, the. Not a peep! I've never done this before, no idea how long it normally takes, but was under some vague impression that I should have heard from BG by now?

Scratch above post, letter just dropped through door today (heard postman as I was typing original post!) dated 16th feb so who knows where it has been?! Saying welcom to British gas etc etc. estimated switch date of 3rd March, but they definitely haven't been in touch asking for meter readings or anything yet!
    Last edited by kittykitten; 07-03-2016 at 8:34 AM.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 7th Mar 16, 8:44 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    [QUOTE=kittykitten;70269107]Has anyone else heard absolutely nothing from BG? Did switch on 14th February, got confirmation email from MSE cheap energy club, the. Not a peep! I've never done this before, no idea how long it normally takes, but was under some vague impression that I should have heard from BG by now?

Scratch above post, letter just dropped through door today (heard postman as I was typing original post!) dated 16th feb so who knows where it has been?! Saying welcom to British gas etc etc. estimated switch date of 3rd March, but they definitely haven't been in touch asking for meter readings or anything yet![QUOTE]
    Much the same

Welcome from BG with switch date for today. Sorry you're leaving from current supplier telling me I'd hear from BG. All I can say to that is .

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    1560.75/2018 (total now includes pre-thread decluttering)
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 7th Mar 16, 1:24 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Here we go again - the 6th time I have had this from BG: I despair.

" Sorry, we couldn't process your reading

Hello Ms Kenyon

We're having some technical problems with our website. We would be grateful if you could try to resubmit your reading in 24 hours, or call our automated phone line free on 0800 107 0224*.

Please have your Customer Reference Number to hand, shown on this email to the right, and choose option 4 from the menu.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience."

Originally posted by JenniferK
    Hi JenniferK and CamHan

Sorry to hear that you've had some problems with the meter reads. Could I point you in the direction of my earlier post covering this issue?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58
    Last edited by MSE Dan L; 07-03-2016 at 1:28 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Mar 16, 2:12 PM
    • 27,962 Posts
    • 13,825 Thanks
    Cardew
    Having spent several hours trying to sort out my tariff, I was amused to get this email:

How did we do?

British Gas

British Gas really value their customers' feedback and are very interested receiving feedback from people who have recently contacted them by email.

We would like to invite you to take part in a survey which will help them to understand your needs to improve the services that they provide to customers and potential customers.

This survey is very short and will only take 5-10 minutes of your time to complete. It will be available for 7 days before it expires. To take part please click on the link below:

Thank you in advance for your participation.

British Gas Customer Service Team - eDigitalResearch

This email has been sent by eDigital Research on behalf of British Gas. eDigitalResearch are industry leaders in online research.

All information is stored on a secure server. Personal information collected will never be sold, shared, or rented without prior consent. For our detailed security policy please click here: www.edigitalresearch.com/privacy
  • archived user
    Have just spoken to BG collective team, who tell me my gas and electricity did switch on 3rd March, and I need to supply meter readings within 5 days of that date! Have submitted meter readings online as suggested above, but should I be slightly concerned I haven't had anything from EDF (previous supplier)? At what point do I cancel DD with EDF?

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I've never done this before so don't know how it's supposed to work.
    Originally posted by kittykitten
    You are not being dim. The readings that you provided go to a 3rd party for validation and they are then passed back to your new and old suppliers as opening and closing readings. The old supplier has to use reasonable endeavours to produce a final bill within 6 weeks of the transfer of supply. If you know that there is sufficient credit on your old account to cover the final bill then give EDF CS a call and tell them that you intend to cancel your DD mandate with your Bank. If you owe EDF money then, personally, I would just leave the DD in place.
    • M271
    • By M271 7th Mar 16, 5:25 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Well today was supposed to be my switch over date and I've heard nothing since the Welcome to British Gas email two weeks ago, no Welcome Pack, email updates, request for meter readings etc. I've taken meter readings tonight in case they finally get round to requesting them for my switch over date.
    I'm not going to waste my time phoning them, I guess it will go through in their own good time!
    How have people found out about giving meter readings and getting an online BG account? Does a code / account number come through the post with the elusive Welcome Pack?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Mar 16, 5:27 PM
    • 66,955 Posts
    • 302,980 Thanks
    beanielou
    Having spent several hours trying to sort out my tariff, I was amused to get this email:
    Originally posted by Cardew

I got one too.
    Words fail me!!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • 597money
    • By 597money 7th Mar 16, 8:21 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    597money
    Not Heard?
    I have an estimate of 8 March 2016 for going live with British Gas but apart from a Welcome to British Gas and a Nectar Points email not had anything more by email or in the post from BG (my old provider has posted a sorry you are leaving letter).

Is this how it should be and is anyone able to help?

Thanks
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 8th Mar 16, 7:41 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    Well today was supposed to be my switch over date and I've heard nothing since the Welcome to British Gas email two weeks ago, no Welcome Pack, email updates, request for meter readings etc. I've taken meter readings tonight in case they finally get round to requesting them for my switch over date.
    I'm not going to waste my time phoning them, I guess it will go through in their own good time!
    How have people found out about giving meter readings and getting an online BG account? Does a code / account number come through the post with the elusive Welcome Pack?
    Originally posted by M271

I'm in much the same position. Think I will contact them by email though.

Partly to maybe hurry them up a bit, partly to ensure there's a paper trail and partly - especially - because I want this sorted out asap.

I'm perfectly capable of messing my finances up due to my own incompetence. I don't need help from anybody else's!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Mar 16, 6:43 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    For attention of BG rep
    There are posters like myself where there has been a lack of communication since the Welcome To BG email and we are past our projected Switching date. Do you have an update for what is going on and what we can expect. If you give a general update it may stop many people having to contact you for personalised updates.

P.S. I emailed last week and still haven't had a response, although I did have a 'British Gas How did we do?' email back :-)
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 9th Mar 16, 8:17 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    I got all the right emails and so on, and then the request to submit readings which I did on the 4th - but then got the "technical problems" email yesterday!

Thanks to this this and MSE Dan's other thread, I hope I did the new submission correctly this morning - but I had to go into my account and then make sure I put in the Gas & Electricity point references before the actual meter readings, and that was something I don't think I did before (in fact, I wondered afterwards as to why BG's message told me that I would need these references that I did not actually then appear to need - but thought no more of it at the time!)

I think the main problem was/is that the long BG email "We need your readings so we can set up your account...." did not make it at all clear which of the routes you should choose to do the online submissions, and did not clearly point out that you must use the "New to British Gas Route" route rather than the "Online Customers" submission route - as many of us, myself included, are used to online submissions and took that route "automatically" on the first occasion.

PS: I got the "technical problems" email yesterday and thought that I would do the resubmission today - and then, this morning, got to thinking "I wonder if that was a phishing email?" which would require me to enter my account details, and that's why I logged on here earlier. Glad I did because (a) it was not that sort of email, and (b) I hope, I found out what to do/not to do this time around.
    Last edited by jeallen01; 09-03-2016 at 9:12 AM.
    • basketcase
    • By basketcase 9th Mar 16, 8:46 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    I got the 'we need your meter readings' email last night at 2350!

Will have to do the readings tonight. But I want to read this thread through to make sure I follow the correct process and don't muck things up!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    • M271
    • By M271 9th Mar 16, 10:22 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    I got the 'we need your meter readings' email last night at 2350!

Will have to do the readings tonight. But I want to read this thread through to make sure I follow the correct process and don't muck things up!
    Originally posted by basketcase
    I think that our switch is following the same timing as I also received a meter reading email late last night. Like you I will enter the readings tonight hopefully following the correct New to BG meter reading route.

Still no Welcome Pack though, is this a paper document received through the post or was the Welcome to BG email a few weeks ago the communication which covers this?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

6,198Users online

Martin's Twitter