Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:32 PM
    British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:32 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

British Gas

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:58 PM.
Page 19
    • ediesonlighthouse
    • By ediesonlighthouse 13th Feb 19, 8:38 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ediesonlighthouse
    My mum has her energy/gas supplied by British Gas, and also uses their homecare cover (I've tried explaining that it's probably a waste of money but since my dad died she's very anxious about having everything covered). She had her renewal quote through earlier this year and it had gone up by around £80. I rang BG, explained that my mum had been a loyal customer for 20+ years, and they dropped the quote by 20%, making it lower that what she's paid in a few years. Yes, its still more than she would pay elsewhere, but her anxiety means she won't switch supplier currently, so it still felt like a win.

The woman on the phone had to talk to her manager to approve the discount, but it didn't take much for her to be willing to ask - she said 20% was the maximum discount they offer, so might be useful for anyone in the future who is trying to haggle on homecare quotes
    • thefsg
    • By thefsg 10th Apr 19, 4:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thefsg
    Dubious sales tactics
    I signed up to BG as had just moved into a flat and they were supplying the energy, with the intention of changing supplier later. The sign-up process was fine but they are sending me marketing emails asking me if everything is all right and suggesting I sign up for prize draws and other services when I've opted-out of all marketing communication.

They also signed me up for their free (for the first year at least) Homecare service despite me deciding against it during the call when I passed to another agent where the conversation ended with her promising to email me the full details so I could review it. I subsequently cancelled it during the 14-day cooling-off period but this involved another call.

So sign-up was smooth enough but all the peripheral bits and pieces were at best shoddy and at worst mis-selling.
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 9th May 19, 7:52 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    British gas not a good start
    Over a month now and all that I have had is emails every day this week asking me to give opening readings which I have done - every day!!!
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • Benight
    • By Benight 9th May 19, 10:49 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Benight
    Over a month now and all that I have had is emails every day this week asking me to give opening readings which I have done - every day!!!
    Originally posted by TREVORCOLMAN
    You only need to give an opening meter read on one day - ideally the day your switch actually goes ahead. Ensure the supplier has logged it onto your account.

(If you are switching to a dual fuel tariff, then each fuel may switch on slightly different days, so you may need to give those respective readings on separate days)
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 11th May 19, 9:30 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    B gas
    I did this because each time I checked on line the next day the system still asked for opening readings. Then I called them on Thursday in response to their email again requesting opening readings. They said on the phone that the system was not working. Well I had guessed that!
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • Agram
    • By Agram 21st Jun 19, 3:50 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Agram
    Energy Plus Protection Green June 2020

Just received a letter from British Gas that includes tariff details for the above package, and there is a difference of 0.001p extra for both Electricty and Gas unit rate than what was listed on the Cheap Energy Club.

Electricity actual 15.508p
    Electricity MSE 15.507p

Gas actual 2.991p
    Gas MSE 2.990p

Is British Gas putting a small hike on everyone? Or is the discrepancy error with Cheap Energy Club?
    Last edited by Agram; 21-06-2019 at 4:01 PM.
    • Peanut8472
    • By Peanut8472 24th Jun 19, 12:19 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Peanut8472
    I too am having trouble with BG.

Switching a relative from current supplier to BG, and it has not gone smoothly.
    After sending the opening readings last week, nothing has been updated on the online account, prompting me to ring them.

Spoke to someone at BG whom i could barely understand, and vice versa apparently!

Just trying to explain that the website was really slow, and that the readings i'd submitted weren't showing up, was a marathon i do not wish to repeat!

Also tried to cancel the Homecare cover which came as a 'free' add-on with the Tariff, as its not required. But it was so much hassle that i eventually gave up!
    • Peanut8472
    • By Peanut8472 26th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Peanut8472
    Just to update my previous post.
    I mentioned that i ran into difficulties when speaking to 'British Gas' previously.

It turns out that this was because the call centre is based in South Africa.

Submitted meter readings have still not been updated, 4 days after submission!
    Website is still broken, extremely slow to load.

Apparently they have just had it 're-done'. I found it difficult to find what i wanted.
    • keithent
    • By keithent 26th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keithent
    BG Switch .shockingly bad!
    Switched my elderly mothers dual fuel to BG Energy Plus Protection Green May 2020 on info gained from the Cheap Energy club which indicated a saving over her existing NP tarrifs .Less than aweek into the switch BG took £410 by dd form her account for Gas only !! Her total monthly NP bills were around £120 /month !! BG have also indicated that they will take a further £354/month for electricity !!! I left a very negative review of the switching process on trust pilot and received a response saying:-
    "Hi Keith, I've had a quick look into your account & can see you've yet to be billed as your first quarterly bill isn't due until August. I'd like to discuss this further with you so please reply back to the email I've sent over to you. Many Thanks, Toni"
    Having contacted BG to express my concerns their response was as follows:-

I've checked your account. From what I can see you're direct debit is set up to take £410 a month? This does seem rather high. Your electric is set up to take £354.50. Were you advised different
    If so please advise. I know you were set up for a direct debit on 1st of the month. To avoid this payment being taken again it maybe best to cancel at your banks end. If you can reply with an up to date reading I'll refund you an amount you've paid over your usage and calculate your average usage.

Seemingly contradictory information from BG !
    My mother is 90 yrs old and lives alone. To find that BG has taken over £750 form her account ,putting her in financial jeopardy has caused her considerable distress. All this when she actually switched to a lower tariff that her previous NPower supplies. How can BG get away with this ? And to suggest that she cancels the dd at her bank is beyond comprehension .They do not appear to know what they are doing and as such I would advise anyone against switching to this shambolic company. Any advice from MoneySavingExpert would be especially welcomed
    • mbocon
    • By mbocon 7th Aug 19, 11:03 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mbocon
    If you have an existing Tariff with British Gas and have signed up for a new one, be aware that BG will transfer you to the new (usually more expensive) tariff before your current one expires. They done that with me with 2.5 months to go on the existing cheaper tariff. Result: Gone to new and cheaper supplier thanks to the Energy Club.
    • RelievedSheff
    • By RelievedSheff 7th Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    RelievedSheff
    Originally posted by TREVORCOLMAN
    We switched to British Gas in June and had a similar problem.

After phoning them several times and getting fobbed off with them blaming the new website I eventually got a chap who knew what he was talking about and he said it was because they had not got some information back from the central meter database yet so the meter readings could not be accepted yet.

I gave it a couple of weeks and then the website accepted the meter readings. Since then the website has worked fine and is accepting our smart meter readings every day so hopefully we should get bills based on our actual useage.
    • Sararen
    • By Sararen 15th Sep 19, 12:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sararen
    Warning with British Gas they do full credit check and may ask you for huge deposit. When I was doing a quote to them I decided to switch. There is no mention or information off this. Or less you really look for it somewhere in small print in which most of us donít! So wrong as if you shopping around for most credit deals because itís obvious itís classed as you taking on credití you are told if you likely to get it maybe asked for a deposit etc. Before you apply saving you from damaging your credit report. I found out the hard way with leaving footprint on my credit file and my score took some beating because off this. Not impressed.
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 15th Sep 19, 10:01 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Michaelw
    Warning with British Gas they do full credit check and may ask you for huge deposit.
    Originally posted by Sararen
    Thet did with me switching to credit mode with their smart meters but not the deposite.My bills actually increased under credit billing and after a long battle eventually had the meters' remotely switched back to prepayment which smart meters are of slightly more use paying online and the credit automatically sent to the meter.

With British Gas the service is all important and are quite happy to pay a little more for that but under prepayment which is around £40 a year more then their cheapest direct debit tariff they claim but my credit rating is free from any risk of huge variations' in direct debit demands'.Prepayment prevent's huge bills all at once and offers fast gas meter repairs in under four hours when needed.
    • David981
    • By David981 24th Sep 19, 4:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David981
    Does anyone else have problems with submitting readings to BG online? Their online systems accepts the readings ok and sends me an automated email confirming them, but a day or two later I get a further email saying there was a problem with their system and they could not use them, so I then get an estimated statement. So when this drifts away from actual usage I have to go through the time consuming process of giving readings by phone. This has been going on for the past year since I switched back to them, and was also the same when I was with them before in 2016/17!! If I complain on the phone they just brush it off. I complained on Trust Pilot and got the usual invitation to follow it up privately, which I did, but again got nowhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,704Posts Today

8,266Users online

Martin's Twitter