Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rgban
    Problem with offer
    • 17th Nov 12, 11:10 PM
    Problem with offer 17th Nov 12 at 11:10 PM
    Hi - I'm new here so probably put this in the wrong place but I hope it's ok.

In work we have a chocolate vending machine and yesterday I had one bar costing 59p or so I thought - I was only charged a penny.

I told the duty manager - who was there at the time, and he said that he was going to leave it for Saturdays restaurant staff, as everyone has gone home, as it was "there fault they put it wrong"

I offered to put the prices right as he said no, not to worry. I thought the 1p price was for real for that night.

Anyway - on my second break the machine was still full and there was no one around so I got some and took a about a dozen.

I have learning disabilities and don't always know what is what.

Was I or the manager in the wrong.
Page 1
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 17th Nov 12, 11:29 PM
    • 12,596 Posts
    • 11,773 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 17th Nov 12, 11:29 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 11:29 PM
    If you have learning disabilities may I compliment you on your ability to type so well and also work out when you notice a morally confusing situation? Many could not do this even without learning disabilities.

I would say that as much as they had been warned and you'd told the manager yet the error was not corrected, the fact that its left you wanting to go as far as to pass over your query to the forum makes me think you have too many moral reservations to let this pass.

Weather or not it was right or not, inside you don't seem to feel it was right- that's your moral compas talking. Sometimes even when the rules or others justifications say otherwise, it doesn't make a bit of difference. What you feel matters more then what anyone can tell you you should feel. If its bothered you enough to type all that in, it means it doesn't sit right with you and isn't OK.

Some people may not have any objection to taking all the chocolate bars, but others may object from an inner standpoint because you look at things differently. We are always growing and developing as people, as individuals and I guess what it comes down to is what sort of a person you want to turn in to.

Just my pennies-worth-of-though...
  • rgban
    • 17th Nov 12, 11:52 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 11:52 PM
    Thanks for that so do you think it was right or wrong?
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Nov 12, 10:49 AM
    • 7,222 Posts
    • 17,033 Thanks
    Missli
    • 18th Nov 12, 10:49 AM
    • 18th Nov 12, 10:49 AM
    Thats for you to decide. Did you eat all the chocolate, and was it nice?
    Started at 11.5 stone 11th May 2019
    17/5 11.3!, 24/5 11.2 29/6 11.1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 18th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    • 23,382 Posts
    • 58,534 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 18th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    • 18th Nov 12, 12:04 PM
    Was it right for you to purchase a dozen bars at the incorrect price? Probably not.

Would anybody else have done the same? H*ll yes!!!

Enjoy your chocolate
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 18th Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    • 36,656 Posts
    • 47,270 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 18th Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    • 18th Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    The duty manager should have dealt with it as soon as it was pointed out.

However, you are also wrong because you knowingly bought the chocolate at a price you knew was wrong. You wouldnt have bought a dozen bars normally.

So you are both wrong, but under the same circumstances, most people would do the same so stop worrying.

Hope you enjoy it. lol
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th Nov 12, 4:01 PM
    • 25,754 Posts
    • 106,099 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 18th Nov 12, 4:01 PM
    • 18th Nov 12, 4:01 PM
    Just so long as you aren't in charge of running baths or feeding the elderly, you should be fine.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,117Posts Today

7,388Users online

Martin's Twitter