Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 14th Sep 19, 4:07 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MickyLuv
    new to flat & energy confused!
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:07 PM
    new to flat & energy confused! 14th Sep 19 at 4:07 PM
    14th day in this electric only flat and trying to sort out a multitude of niggles.
    Previous occupants had night storage heaters removed and thin, square, white panel heaters installed, which may not be associated with the cheaper night time rate. I don't know. The only other electrical appliances here are an immersion heater, cooker and power shower.

The meter cupboard has a white meter showing 3 readings: 1, 2 and Total, as shown in this link.
    https://postimg.cc/HJ03WpCN

It also has another device showing a day and night timer.
    https://postimg.cc/23STmR9H.

Just had a letter from EDF to the "Occupier" telling me I can change my tariff for a better one.
    I don't want to be with EDF so I want to change supplier.

First off, I don't really know what I'm already on here.

If it's Economy 7 or something similar with different day and night rates is there any appliance here that would be eligible to use it?
    If not. is it a disadvantage to have such a 2 rate tariff?

Once I've found out what I've got and what I need, I intend to subscribe to the Cheap Energy Club here.
    I definitely need to know more than I know now before that can happen.

Please advise.
    Last edited by MickyLuv; 14-09-2019 at 4:10 PM.
    Regards,

Mike
Page 2
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 15th Sep 19, 3:26 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    Rated at 425w. There doesn't appear to be a thermostat so once switched on say 0700 -2300 would consume 6.8kwh . Assume 16p/unit would cost over 1 a day.

How many panels have you got ?
    Originally posted by Robin9

There are 3 panels in all. I think your estimate is showing that they wouldn't be excessively expensive. But on the other hand people I've spoken to have suggested that they'd provide less than adequate heat.
    Regards,

Mike
    • MickyLuv
    • By MickyLuv 15th Sep 19, 3:36 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MickyLuv
    Your metering setup will provide day/night rates for the whole flat unless the timeswitch has been disconnected.

You can prove if you are on a day/night tariff yourself by observing the very first half height digit on your meter display, as this will change to display 2 for the other rate.

On my meter, 1 displays the day rate register and 2 displays the night rate register but this does vary so check your meter.

What time of day did you take the picture with rate 1 displayed?

Based on the information provided, as a new EDF customer you will be on the deemed default E10 tariff which will be expensive and uncompetitive, which your interim bill will confirm.

EDF have already asked you if you would like to "change your tariff for a better one" i.e. the previous occupier may have agreed to be charged at a single rate 24/7.

Due to your previous history with EDF you will only "be rid" of them after you have switched from them, to an alternative supplier who will take on your E10 meter setup.

Forget joining the so called cheap energy club to find a better deal as they will not help you with E10 metering.

Some suppliers will allow your E10 meter to be billed on a much cheaper E7 tariff, which you will need if you intend to reinstall the storage heaters.
    Originally posted by thorganby

Thanks for the very useful information. I don't know if I will reinstate the storage heaters yet, though I prefer that option over the others. I may go for seeing how the panel heaters cope with a winter before I make that decision. This being so, I'd do well to ask the supplier to put me on a tariff that is suited to the current heating arrangement. This I'll get onto first thing tomorrow.
    Regards,

Mike
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Sep 19, 6:53 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    There are 3 panels in all. I think your estimate is showing that they wouldn't be excessively expensive. But on the other hand people I've spoken to have suggested that they'd provide less than adequate heat.
    Originally posted by MickyLuv
    Approx 30 British Standard Cats per heater
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,240Posts Today

6,591Users online

Martin's Twitter