Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Graham1
    • By Graham1 26th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    • 443Posts
    • 167Thanks
    Graham1
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?
    • 26th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ? 26th Aug 19 at 10:54 AM
    Do any recent joiners to Shell energy broadband have any feedback to share about it ?

I am referring to their standard ADSL 'fast broadband' 'up to 11Mbps' service, not their fibre offerings.

I am always suspicious of very cheap providers as they probably over-commit their available bandwidth more than most. But as we are quite far from the exchange and on an EO line we only get a 2Mbps sync speed anyway. I am wondering if this service would be good enough.

Any feedback on how much it slows down (or stops) during peak evening hours would be useful.
Page 1
    • Irene.S
    • By Irene.S 29th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Irene.S
    • 29th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    • 29th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    I have just joined but not connected yet so sorry can’t help at the moment. I was wondering about the automatic 75 back offer as there was no mention of it on the Shell website when I signed up although I followed the MSE link. Please can anyone else tell me what happened when they signed up?
    • Chino
    • By Chino 29th Aug 19, 9:45 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Chino
    • 29th Aug 19, 9:45 AM
    • 29th Aug 19, 9:45 AM
    I was wondering about the automatic 75 back offer as there was no mention of it on the Shell website when I signed up although I followed the MSE link.
    Originally posted by Irene.S
    It may not be the same offer as yours, but currently the entries for Shell Energy's "Fast Broadband" and "Superfast Fibre" products on MSE's "Broadband Unbundled Deals" page say:
    Your 75 bill credit will be automatically added to your account at the end of October.
    • Irene.S
    • By Irene.S 29th Aug 19, 10:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Irene.S
    • 29th Aug 19, 10:30 AM
    • 29th Aug 19, 10:30 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, did you see that on the MSE website? That is what I have applied for - the Shell Energy Fast Broadband but there has been no mention by Shell Energy of the 75 bill credit being automatically added to my account. I am a bit anxious about it not being applied as the offer is not so good without it.
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 29th Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    • 29th Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 29th Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    I used the offer where it was a 60 bill credit after 3 months - just today they have credited 50 instead so going to have to phone them up to get it corrected
    • brummierebel
    • By brummierebel 29th Aug 19, 4:25 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    brummierebel
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:25 PM
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:25 PM
    I used the offer where it was a 60 bill credit after 3 months - just today they have credited 50 instead so going to have to phone them up to get it corrected
    Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
    The 50 credit is pre-VAT. It adds up to 60 when you include the VAT.
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 29th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:39 PM
    The 50 credit is pre-VAT. It adds up to 60 when you include the VAT.
    Originally posted by brummierebel
    yes sorry, I realised that later after I had posted
    • Plymlyn
    • By Plymlyn 30th Aug 19, 6:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Plymlyn
    • 30th Aug 19, 6:51 PM
    75 ...?
    • 30th Aug 19, 6:51 PM
    I decided to sign up for this offer but have just asked Shell's live chat to confirm the 75 offer as it doesn't mention it during sign up ....
    " have I signed up to get the offer of 75 back so making my monthly payment equivalent to 10.50ish pm? "
    Answer "Thanks for the message! We'll get back to you as soon as we can."
    ...they haven't got back yet, that was over 30mins ago!
    • rpip
    • By rpip 6th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rpip
    • 6th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    Shell Broadband & Phone MSE deal
    • 6th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    I have just joined and think that at least the 1st of following should have been mentioned.
    1. Page 7 of Shell Pricing pdf states that a Cease Charge of 15 will be incurred including after 12 months contract period!!
    2. Shell charge 35 if you dont return the Router if they request this.

Shell are very slow to respond to emails and poor comprehension. Their chat facility is always ' we are currently....long wait'
    • sonnyliston
    • By sonnyliston 6th Sep 19, 3:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sonnyliston
    Shell Energy feedback
    Hi, apologies my order was fibre but some points still relevant.

Easy sign-up, there was no obvious way to add a different address for router (you may have been able to contact customer services to change but that might not have been easy)

Router: received before go live date but it looks cheap and nasty (not very technical but it definitely looked a step down from more recent routers I've had!)

Go live date: I received an email saying my service was now live. Went home to plug in the new router but my existing internet was still working so I was confused. So I contacted their customer service....

customer service: poor, it's hard just finding an email address to contact them on, albeit in a frustrated mindset (broadband.support@shellenergy.co.uk) or a telephone number (0330 094 5801). When I did speak to them they were pretty rude over a simple question. The answer to my question was that their service will work on an existing router plugged in. Maybe this is well known but this is first time I've swapped fibre, all previous swaps have required the new router to be plugged in before service works. I was on Vodafone previously so definitely works for their routers, not sure about other providers.

Online account: I can't log in to my online account because apparently my password is wrong (it was saved on two different password managers) but ok so use the reset password link except no email is forthcoming for about 13 hours. And when it does turn up there is a 20 minute limit to reset password, unsurprisingly enough I'd missed the 20 minute window so have requested again but 2 hours and counting...

I've got a working service but I'm not confident they'll be good at resolving any problems and when I switch in 12 months it would have to be really cheap to tempt me back.
    • s b
    • By s b 11th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    s b
    Interesting
    i have tonight gone live from vodaphone fibre to shell and found my vodaphone router is working fine
    so im going to keep with it because yes the shell one looks junk
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 12th Sep 19, 2:37 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Hi,

I've just spotted this thread but for anyone concerned about the 75 offer - if you went through our link at the time, you will have been presented with this page highlighting the 75 bill credit before entering in your postcode for a quote. It looked like this but appreciate it's not all that obvious:

I hope this helps reassure those concerned.

MSE Chris
    • Philli2
    • By Philli2 12th Sep 19, 2:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Philli2
    Thanks Chris, for the above confirmation, I joined Shell recently through your offer and I thought the standard charge per month was quoted as 16.99 before any discount was applied,this has not been reflected in my first statement covering 32 days ,which is 22.00. Can you confirm that is what was stated or not please.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 12th Sep 19, 3:04 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Thanks Chris, for the above confirmation, I joined Shell recently through your offer and I thought the standard charge per month was quoted as 16.99 before any discount was applied,this has not been reflected in my first statement covering 32 days ,which is 22.00. Can you confirm that is what was stated or not please.
    Originally posted by Philli2
    Hi Philli2,

No problem at all. The 16.99/mth base price was for its standard ADSL package (around 11mb).

On the other hand, it's fibre package has a base price of 22.99 - perhaps this is what you signed up to at the time? Difficult for us to say but for anything pricing related, it might be worth contacting Shell and asking that it explains its reasoning for the price difference.
    • Philli2
    • By Philli2 13th Sep 19, 2:47 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Philli2
    Hi Chris,all sorted. Shell have admitted a fault with their billing and refunded the difference to reflect the 16.99 offer as well as confirming the 75.00 credit due the end of October, thanks again Chris.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 13th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Hi Chris,all sorted. Shell have admitted a fault with their billing and refunded the difference to reflect the 16.99 offer as well as confirming the 75.00 credit due the end of October, thanks again Chris.
    Originally posted by Philli2
    I'm sorry to hear there was an issue with the pricing but pleased it's been able to resolve this for you and quickly.

Have a good weekend!
    • LosRobles1
    • By LosRobles1 14th Sep 19, 6:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LosRobles1
    PC based email warning
    WARNING

I've just highlighted that the Shell Broadband and phone deal does not allow you to use them as an ISP, so you cannot send emails from your computer unless it is from a cloud account e.g. gMail, Yahoo.

Anyone using the older email systems of filing everything on your PC cannot send any emails via SMTP.

See forums "Shell and Broadband"

• MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 17th Sep 19, 3:38 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    I have just joined and think that at least the 1st of following should have been mentioned.
    1. Page 7 of Shell Pricing pdf states that a Cease Charge of 15 will be incurred including after 12 months contract period!!
    2. Shell charge 35 if you dont return the Router if they request this.

Shell are very slow to respond to emails and poor comprehension. Their chat facility is always ' we are currently....long wait'
    Originally posted by rpip
    Hi rpip,

We've asked Shell Energy about this 15 cease charge and it's agreed to waive it for all switches made through MSE that came with this 75 bill credit offer. This means you won't be charged 15 should you wish to switch after the min 12 months has elapsed.

All other earlier termination charges will still stand as per it's T&C's.

I hope this helps reassure you and other users who questioned this charge.

MSE Chris
    Last edited by MSE Chris; 17-09-2019 at 4:23 PM.
    • Deke650
    • By Deke650 18th Sep 19, 7:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deke650
    Just joined for fiber, not used it yet as on holiday. Just had first bill. Turns out quote is ex vat. Vat added at end. Thought that was illegal. Going to cancel tomorrow.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 19th Sep 19, 8:26 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    Just joined for fiber, not used it yet as on holiday. Just had first bill. Turns out quote is ex vat. Vat added at end. Thought that was illegal. Going to cancel tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Deke650
    Hi Deke650,

All quotes on our site are Inc VAT. Are you able to provide more info on the bill you've had? If you want to share a copy, please email instead at furtherhelp@moneysavingexpert.com

Thanks,
    MSE Chris
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,117Posts Today

7,388Users online

Martin's Twitter