Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nearlydan
    • By Nearlydan 17th Jan 19, 4:36 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nearlydan
    Plusnet Billing Crisis
    • 17th Jan 19, 4:36 AM
    Plusnet Billing Crisis 17th Jan 19 at 4:36 AM
    Myself and many other Plusnet customers have simply stopped receiving bills. After taking this up with Plusnet, they are extremely apologetic but unable to offer any solutions or any idea how long it might take to resolve. As far as I can gather, following a system update in September the billing system has failed dramatically. Conversing with other customers on the Plusnet users forum Iíve discovered that many people havenít received a bill for 4 or 5 months now. Payments are required to be made by Direct Debit so what is going to happen when customers start receiving demands on their accounts for a couple of hundred pounds or more? Many people are going to find themselves in financial difficulties. Suggesting they should put the money aside is all very well but that wasnít part of the deal and what happens if you donít have somewhere to put the money in the mean time? Many of us only have very simple bank accounts and only one place to hold our money. This is a ridiculous state of affairs and I get more annoyed every time I see Plusnet advertised on TV or indeed the other night when their latest ďdealĒ was recommended by the namesake of this site.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem? Iíd really like to bring some pressure to bear upon TV and media outlets to warn people about the chaos that awaits them if they sign up with Plusnet!
Page 2
    • br1anstorm
    • By br1anstorm 25th Feb 19, 3:37 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    br1anstorm
    Er - strange though it may seem, not everyone uses Twitter. I'm one of many who find it shallow and irritating.

But seriously Martin Lewis, MSE, and the Moneysupermarket organisation that now owns this site and manages the MSE brand and output, have a team of administrators, moderators, staff members and investigators. If these people are not monitoring current consumer-related issues such as this, what are they doing......?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 25th Feb 19, 4:16 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Re: What are they doing?

Flogging you energy and broadband "deals" would be my guess

Oh and republishing press releases as "news" or "articles"
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 25th Feb 19, 4:36 PM
    • 13,312 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I'm looking to join plusnet from BT in the next month or so, looking for a 12 month contract and BT are quoting £41, whereas Plusnet have it available for £28. BT won't budge unfortunately so looks like I will need to move. Seems like billing issues and customer service with Plusnet is not great at the moment. Worrying for someone that's looking to move to them.
    Originally posted by colb15

I was in exactly the same situation. Once I had left BT and signed up with Plusnet, BT offered a realistic deal. So all I had to do was cancel Plusnet within the allowed 'cooling off' period.
    • jezza2412
    • By jezza2412 28th Mar 19, 11:12 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    jezza2412
    All Plusnet users should check their bills very carefully, especially if they've recently changed their product. Myself, and two other people I know, noticed we were all being overcharged. And it seems Plusnet will quite merrily continue overcharging unless you contact them.
    • wild666
    • By wild666 29th Mar 19, 5:07 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    wild666
    So you haven't been invoiced, or the direct debits haven't been collected, or both?

If the direct debits haven't been collected then you still have the money and they are effectively giving you an interest free loan, so if they come back and ask for it all at once you'll be able to pay it. All you have to do is remember not to spend it in the meantime. You don't need anything more than a basic bank account for that.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Some people just check the amount in the account and not look to see if DD's and standing orders are paid. They then might decide to spend it on something for themselves or a partner.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 29th Mar 19, 5:18 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    I’m a PlusNet customer and have not experienced any problems so not everyone is impacted.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 30th Mar 19, 3:11 PM
    • 21,412 Posts
    • 15,669 Thanks
    molerat
    Some people just check the amount in the account and not look to see if DD's and standing orders are paid. They then might decide to spend it on something for themselves or a partner.
    Originally posted by wild666
    They obviously need to pay more attention then.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • farmernt
    • By farmernt 1st Apr 19, 6:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farmernt
    Evening. Just wondering if anybody here is on PlusNet`s business broadband and so can tell me there VAT number, as they refuse to give it to me unless I have a business account. I farm with one phone line into house which we use for both private and for farm office. As a result I need to charge a proportion of costs to farm. in that cost is a VAT element so need to have it. Tried to google it as well as going to companies house but cant find it.

Help Please.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Apr 19, 6:20 PM
    • 21,412 Posts
    • 15,669 Thanks
    molerat
    Plusnet plc. company registration number 02382161. VAT number: 245719348
    Registered office The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • farmernt
    • By farmernt 2nd Apr 19, 10:26 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farmernt
    Thanks molerat.

Just used the EU VIES website and that has come back as BT. I know that plusnet is owned by BT but surprised that it has the same VAT number but happy if that is correct.
    • Diana2014
    • By Diana2014 3rd Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Diana2014
    I have been a Plusnet customer for several years but, since renewing in January 2019, I have never had a correct bill.

Plusnet have simultaneously charged me twice (at the contract rate and also at the highest possible rate, for a service I don't receive) and disregarded my Line Rental Saver contract to bill me again for line rental; failed to refund the overcharge for months (and then used the slowest possible method and got the amount wrong), created a fictional credit that they won't then reverse etc etc.

They flatly refuse to cancel wildly erroneous bills and issue accurate replacements, saying that that's impossible (!) and perpetuate their errors indefinitely by failing ever to issue a correct bill which puts right the previous errors.

Apparently I'm supposed to live with this perpetually !!!!!!ed-up account and put up with elementary billing errors as long as I stay with Plusnet - however many years that may be. Before ever seeing this thread, I'd told them that this is simply unacceptable - after arguing every wrong bill and financial mistake they've inflicted on me since January in attempts to get the mess corrected, which is seriously damaging my health.

Plusnet seem to be using customers as guinea-pigs for a new billing system which their own staff can't operate accurately. I've asked them to verify whether the new system has been formally approved (under the Ofcom Metering and Billing Direction) and to identify their Ofcom-appointed Approval Body, so that I can check that from the other end as well.

Plusnet have offered a silly little bit of compensation but I'd rather have accurate billing, so they have finally issued a deadlock letter to let me take this dispute to ADR. The Ombudsman service's communications division is (thanks to Brexit) the only viable means of doing so.
    • rollingmoon
    • By rollingmoon 10th Sep 19, 1:06 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    rollingmoon
    I haven't had a bill from Plusnet since January. They sent me an email last week saying that they hoped to have the billing system fixed in the next month or so, and that whenever this does finally happen they will only backdate the bill by three months.

It would appear that, for once, Plusnet's world-class incompetence has worked in my favour!
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 10th Sep 19, 1:22 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    Terry98
    I haven't had a bill from Plusnet since January. They sent me an email last week saying that they hoped to have the billing system fixed in the next month or so, and that whenever this does finally happen they will only backdate the bill by three months.
    Originally posted by rollingmoon
    You are not the only one...post 15 here..... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6000828&highlight=plusnet
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Sep 19, 2:09 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I believe that some customers have not been billed for over a year!
    I think in their position ,I'd be tempted to leave and wait for PN to raise a bill for 3 months b/band (as they have said repeatedly that they won't charge for more than that) at some future date -then drag out paying them as long as possible. Unfortunately I'm one of the "lucky ones" who have been billed correctly and on time!!
    • rollingmoon
    • By rollingmoon 10th Sep 19, 6:59 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    rollingmoon
    I believe that some customers have not been billed for over a year!
    I think in their position ,I'd be tempted to leave and wait for PN to raise a bill for 3 months b/band (as they have said repeatedly that they won't charge for more than that) at some future date -then drag out paying them as long as possible.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

Why would I leave? I'm essentially getting free broadband for as long as this fiasco continues, and - unlike some - the product actually works!
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Sep 19, 5:29 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    marlot
    Iím a PlusNet customer and have not experienced any problems so not everyone is impacted.
    Originally posted by jaybeetoo
    My bills were fine until I renewed in May. No bills since.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 11th Sep 19, 7:53 AM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Why would I leave? I'm essentially getting free broadband for as long as this fiasco continues, and - unlike some - the product actually works!
    Originally posted by rollingmoon

Depends whether you are on a discounted offer or not - if your discounted deal comes to an end (say after 12 months) and you haven't been billed, I suspect that getting a new deal from PN might be more difficult
    • easymoney999
    • By easymoney999 14th Sep 19, 5:14 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    easymoney999
    Since I renewed my contract it's all gone wrong, billed the wrong amount for broadband and I'm unable to pay for line rental saver, can't seem to get plusnet to sort it out, but they can still charge the full amount.

Wish I'd moved......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,787Posts Today

7,997Users online

Martin's Twitter