Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • okanem100
    • By okanem100 23rd Jun 19, 9:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    okanem100
    ROI salary declaration to UK
    • 23rd Jun 19, 9:53 PM
    ROI salary declaration to UK 23rd Jun 19 at 9:53 PM
    Hi all, are there any people out there that know if it is the law to declare a Euro salary to the UK government through Self Assessment.

It would appear that its suggested that you should, annually through self assessment, but is it law???

Kind regards
    Okanem100
Page 1
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 23rd Jun 19, 11:53 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 23rd Jun 19, 11:53 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 11:53 PM
    Hi all, are there any people out there that know if it is the law to declare a Euro salary to the UK government through Self Assessment.

It would appear that its suggested that you should, annually through self assessment, but is it law???

Kind regards
    Okanem100
    Originally posted by okanem100
    Where are you resident? Are you already paying tax at source in RoI?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • okanem100
    • By okanem100 24th Jun 19, 11:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    okanem100
    • 24th Jun 19, 11:50 AM
    • 24th Jun 19, 11:50 AM
    Hi, resident in N.I., but working cross the border in ROI and paying all the normal tax there.

Only have a small UK income from a house let so was declaring that through the UK self assessment.

The reason I ask is that some UK benefits are means tested which I could be entitled to, if I were not declaring my small ROI income.

When ur on the breadline, every small benefit counts.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 24th Jun 19, 5:57 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 24th Jun 19, 5:57 PM
    • 24th Jun 19, 5:57 PM
    Hi, resident in N.I., but working cross the border in ROI and paying all the normal tax there.

Only have a small UK income from a house let so was declaring that through the UK self assessment.

The reason I ask is that some UK benefits are means tested which I could be entitled to, if I were not declaring my small ROI income.

When ur on the breadline, every small benefit counts.
    Originally posted by okanem100
    Well, since you own and rent out a house, you’re probably not on the breadline.

Sounds like a simple case of tax evasion.
    It’s a lot easier to get caught than it used to be, following the invention of the computer.
    How do you get access to your income? Presumably you have a southern bank account. You need pounds from time to time? Use an ATM in Northern Ireland or GB and you declare yourself as having a bank account outside the UK which you have not told the inland revenue about. Why has this apparently poor man a southern account? Pretty clear.

Is your car worth more than a couple of hundred? How did you pay for it, the insurance, the tax? There’ll be an obvious paper trail from your southern bank account if that’s how you did it.

If you stick rigidly to cash you might get away with it a bit longer, using your euro in Newry or Keady or similar, but remember you’ll be unable to buy anything any way valuable such as a house or car worth more than a few thousand without triggering anti money laundering limits. Unexplained wealth is enough to set off an investigation, since it usually means criminality of some level, as indeed it does in this case.

A lot of ways to get caught ripping off the system. The old cliche - you need to be good if you’re going to be bad. Own up and suck it up.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 26-06-2019 at 9:08 AM.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 24th Jun 19, 7:43 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:43 PM
    • 24th Jun 19, 7:43 PM
    The old cliche - you need to be good if you’re going to be bad.

Its called fraud

Last edited by ballyblack; 24-06-2019 at 8:00 PM.
    • okanem100
    • By okanem100 1st Jul 19, 3:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    okanem100
    • 1st Jul 19, 3:03 PM
    • 1st Jul 19, 3:03 PM
    Harsh, and wrong. But hey ho.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

4,891Users online

Martin's Twitter