Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dave125
    • By Dave125 19th Mar 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dave125
    Co-Ownership -
    • 19th Mar 19, 10:20 AM
    Co-Ownership - 19th Mar 19 at 10:20 AM
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any co-ownership experience.

I have had my offer in principle from co-ownership for 112K and about to try and get the mortgage side of things arranged.

Totally panicking that for some reason I will be turned down for a mortgage. I have no bad debt or anything, its just I did a mortgage 'how much can I borrow?' calculator online and it came up with the figure of 18K!!!

I have been paying 500 a month rent for the past 8 years, payment never missed so I know I can afford it, but now totally stressing.

Has anyone ever had co-ownership approved but turned down for a mortgage?!

Have a meeting with my financial adviser this week to go through everything but just wondering if anyone had anything similar happen?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 20th Mar 19, 10:12 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    duggan1
    • 20th Mar 19, 10:12 AM
    • 20th Mar 19, 10:12 AM
    I wouldn't pay a huge amount of notice to online calculators. they give an indication, but don't always understand the nuances of some situations.

If you haven't already, I'd sit down and work out the sums yourself with regards to affordability.

I'm guessing you're going for 50% co-ownership, and standard 25 year repayment mortgate. Thats about 345 a month (I'm sure you can get better but for the sake of argument..). You'll be paying co-ownership some rent on their half, they should have indicated how much that is. You'll have buildings insurance, and you'll want to factor in maintenance costs, even if it is just the basic stuff like boiler servicing once a year.

Take all this to the adviser/broker and they'll be best placed to tell you what they can do for you.
    • redheadirish
    • By redheadirish 30th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    redheadirish
    • 30th May 19, 10:16 AM
    Co ownership
    • 30th May 19, 10:16 AM
    Don't fret, its scary but great. We went with the halifax as they work with co ownership a lot. You will be fine. Breathe & Enjoy becoming a home owner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,151Users online

Martin's Twitter