NHS 1995 forecast for next July

Options
My first post so please be kind? I've been hovering and probably need to speak to an adviser but hey...think this is a nice position to be in ...but not sure!
I now have a pension forecast for next year £30k lump sum and £12k per annum pension! I will be 60 years young. Two more small private pensions when I'm 65 and No state pension until ...66/67 who knows I've been stitched up!
My circumstances are live alone, own home(small mortgage) and self employed part time.

My question is really about the lump sum bit ...it's says tax free ? Thought it's only 25% tax free reading others posts. Leaving the pension where it is isn't an option as there isn't any benefit to me. 1995 scheme.
I want to minimise my tax payments tbh ...over the years I've really helped the economy!

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My first post so please be kind? I've been hovering and probably need to speak to an adviser but hey...think this is a nice position to be in ...but not sure!
    I now have a pension forecast for next year £30k lump sum and £12k per annum pension! I will be 60 years young. Two more small private pensions when I'm 65 and No state pension until ...66/67 who knows I've been stitched up!
    My circumstances are live alone, own home(small mortgage) and self employed part time.

My question is really about the lump sum bit ...it's says tax free ? Thought it's only 25% tax free reading others posts. Leaving the pension where it is isn't an option as there isn't any benefit to me. 1995 scheme.
    I want to minimise my tax payments tbh ...over the years I've really helped the economy!

That's better than most, not as good as some.

As your NHS pension is public sector/final salary,your 30K is indeed tax free - you've been reading about private pensions, which are only 25% tax free/75% taxable.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, your lump sum should be £36k if your annual pension is £12k, so it might be worth double checking your documents/TRS.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My question is really about the lump sum bit ...it's says tax free ? Thought it's only 25% tax free reading others posts.

The '25%' still technically applies, however your entire lump sum will be within that. Rather than no lump sum by default and an option to commute 25% of the 'value' of the pension for tax purposes, you have a standard lump sum that contributes to the total 'value' of the pension in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure