Broadband Speed

All.

I've just read the main article about the new advertising of broadband speeds to be those of an average in an area.

I naively, perhaps, expected a line capability test to be direct to the router?

My ISP, and indeed their competitors, advertise my download capability at 80Mbps - that is using both my postcode and my landline number. The ISP offers 2 packages, one to that maximum, the other to half that speed. My account is for the lower cap.
They've tested the line, remember, but I can only achieve 17Mbps at my router, tested by wire not wifi.
There's a Fttc box 1.7km distant, and a new one 310metres distant. It seems the ISP don't have any power to ask openreach to connect us to the new box that is situated in an isolated rural community of some dozen properties.

It still seems a ploy to advertise capability on the line but still not deliver something faster than half the rate.

Call me a cynic.

Geoff

Comments

• The "average" speed they use for advertising is country wide is it not, not area specific? And like all "averages" in real life it usually won't match what you get.

At least you know what the issue is as 1.7km to the cabinet is a fair haul.

Have you checked with your neighbours what they're using and getting as some of them may be attached to the new cabinet.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Generally, you cant just be connected to another cabinet. The pair of wires from your house will form part of a larger cable, which along with others, goes to the cabinet which is effectively a large junction box. The other cabinet will be fed by a different cable/cables.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Someone I know, lives in a small village , served by two cabs. one at each end of the road. His connection is rubbish (< 1mb/sec),because he is connected to the older one farthest away!

He almost begged to be connected to the nearer one but BT told him that there is zero chance of running a new cable. To add insult to injury the closer cab has now been fibre enabled!! To add, the two cabs are actually attached to two different exchanges!
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 August 2018 at 2:13PM
    All.

I've just read the main article about the new advertising of broadband speeds to be those of an average in an area.

I naively, perhaps, expected a line capability test to be direct to the router?

My ISP, and indeed their competitors, advertise my download capability at 80Mbps - that is using both my postcode and my landline number. The ISP offers 2 packages, one to that maximum, the other to half that speed. My account is for the lower cap.
    They've tested the line, remember, but I can only achieve 17Mbps at my router, tested by wire not wifi.
    There's a Fttc box 1.7km distant, and a new one 310metres distant. It seems the ISP don't have any power to ask openreach to connect us to the new box that is situated in an isolated rural community of some dozen properties.

It still seems a ploy to advertise capability on the line but still not deliver something faster than half the rate.

Call me a cynic.

Geoff

I'm not sure you have quite understood , both what the new advertising rules are, and what the service can deliver.
    The old system, providers could advertise what the best 10% of their customer could get , so for ADSL2 , the theoretical Max is 24Mb , but a company could probably advertise 17Mb , as 10% could get that , some got more, many more get less.
    The advert change is what the average customer gets , so ADSL2 is now typically advertised as 10-11Mb, but now as many get better as get worse....both methods have nothing to do with an individual line performance, and apply to VDSL services ( FTTC ) as well as ADSL
    Your provider should have given an individual estimate for your line, you need to compare what you get to the individual estimate you got , not a country wide provider average.
    You have FTTC so your phone line is connected to a copper cabinet that in turn has a linked FTTC cabinet , OR do not rearrange customers lines from the original copper cabinet at request, the amount of work required could be massive..so even if there is a closer copper cabinet with linked FTTC cabinet than the ones you are actually connected to, then unless OR decide to rearrange the network in your area for everybody , then it's ridiculous to expect them to do your line individually, especially as they receive a few £ per month from your provider for your 'line' and if they spent 100's of thousand of £'s rearranging your line, it would still only be a few £'s per month they get.

If you get 17Mb from FTTC , and that is what your provider estimated you will get, then what's the problem ? you are getting what they said you would get, the fact that someone closer to their copper and FTTC cabinet gets upto 80Mb , is irrelevant, as is the possibility that there may be a closer FTTC cabinet.

If you really want that sort of speed , you could pay for FTTPod, or move home to be closer to a cabinet , or just accept that it's physics, the further away you are , the slower the rate will be, at 17Mb the chances are that you will be over the new 'minimum speed' of the soon to be introduced universal service obligation, that's likely to be set at 10Mb, so you won't get a 'free' upgrade from that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure