P45 from both previous jobs?

Amys123
Amys123 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 16 August 2018 at 4:50PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi all!

I recently started a new job. I left my previous two part time jobs in May and June. I received a letter from HMRC with my new tax codes but I see that my personal allowance is split between my new job and my previous job still. Also, I haven’t received a p45 from this job. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Speak to HMRC?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When did you give the two previous P45s to your employer? it can take a while for revised tax codes to filter through.

And what you do you mean, you haven't received a P45 for this job? The job you're still doing? Or you've now left a 3rd job?

If you've left a 3rd job and are now not working and you think you've paid too much tax, speak to HMRC.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I mean, out of the two previous jobs I left I only received a p45 from one.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Right. Were you doing two jobs at once? Dates you started and left each job?
  • Yes I was. The first I started in April 2014 and finished June 2018, the second job I started in April 2016 and finished in May 2018. I’ve received my p45 from the first job but not the second.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Amys123 wrote: »
    Yes I was. The first I started in April 2014 and finished June 2018, the second job I started in April 2016 and finished in May 2018. I’ve received my p45 from the first job but not the second.
    OK, I think we've finally got the information we need, well almost ...

When you started your current job, did you fill in HMRC's New Starter Checklist Form and return it to your employer? Did you tick whichever box says "This is my only or main job but I have had another since April 2018" or similar? If you managed that, your tax code shouldn't have been too far out.

Have you phoned the company who have not issued your P45 and asked where it is? You didn't move house after leaving, did you?

But over the weekend you could phone HMRC and tell them the details of your new job, and tell them you have not had a P45 from another job. That saves waiting until Monday and may be enough to get your code changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport