Private plate number spacing

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Deastons wrote: »
    I see illegally spaced plates all the time. Personally, I think it's a bit sad that people try and get their plates to say things, but each to their own!

My understanding is, worst case, you get a fixed penalty and DVLA can take the plate away from you.

But I was once watching one of those police shows where the guy had a plate that somehow said "BIG BALLS". The officer pulled him over and he proceeded to say he'd been pulled over before and had no intention of changing it. Much childish arguing later he was sent on his way with the empty threat of the officer reporting it to the DVLA.

So if that's anything to go by, I'd say go for it because it appears the police can't really do anything anymore.

So 8 digits on a number plate?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oscart1111 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Recently got a new plate, it was purchased as: T** NGX. I want to get it put onto my vehicle sometime soon but I was wondering if I could space it as T**NG X with just a space after the G instead.

Have seen many other vehicles with similarly spaced plates but I would just like to make sure before I go ahead.

Warm regards,

Oscar

Legally you can’t do it, if you can find someone to make you a show plate and you decide to display it then it’s your choice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Quite. No UK plate is longer than 7 characters.

The only legit combos I can think of that would (almost, vaguely, squinting from a distance) work are...

B168LLS, B168ALL - not currently on cars.
    BI68LLS, BI68ALL - we aren't at 68 until September.

Sounds like a load of B4LLS to me. But even if I was bored enough to watch this kind of "fly-on-the-wall" guff, I'm not gullible enough to actually believe it.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree that people with respaced plates supposedly to read something else are KN08S, But in a failure to stop incident OPs THING X would be more memorable to witnesses than T111 NGX, or whatever it is.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There are only seven characters in BE11 END and that's all anyone with a personalised number plate will ever need.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    oscart1111 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Recently got a new plate, it was purchased as: T** NGX. I want to get it put onto my vehicle sometime soon but I was wondering if I could space it as T**NG X with just a space after the G instead.

Have seen many other vehicles with similarly spaced plates but I would just like to make sure before I go ahead.

Warm regards,

Oscar

Not legal. You cannot space letters and numbers as you please. The prefix letters and numbers must be grouped together, the suffix letters must. The size, spacing and font of all letters are laid down in regulations.

You would face a possibility of two offences if you were stopped:

1) Not displaying a numberplate
    2) Perverting the course of justice if things like bolts were carefully placed to make a number or letter look like another letter. The argument is that it circumvents ANPR.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Quite. No UK plate is longer than 7 characters.

The only legit combos I can think of that would (almost, vaguely, squinting from a distance) work are...

B168LLS, B168ALL - not currently on cars.
    BI68LLS, BI68ALL - we aren't at 68 until September.

Sounds like a load of B4LLS to me. But even if I was bored enough to watch this kind of "fly-on-the-wall" guff, I'm not gullible enough to actually believe it.

Here we go again. What is it with people on this forum picking on minor details that aren't actually relevant to the point?

You'll notice I said "something like" not "exactly this". All I remember is it made some reference to him having large testicles.

But the point is that it was illegal, he'd been stopped several times before, admitted he'd taken no action to change it and wouldn't this time, and still got let off with no punishment.

I was also amazed how long she argued with him. It should just be "You have an illegal plate, here's a £100 fine, I have a card machine in the car so you can pay now" and that should be it.

I see so many illegal plates that I assume the police just don't care.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Here we go again. What is it with people on this forum picking on minor details that aren't actually relevant to the point?

You'll notice I said "something like" not "exactly this". All I remember is it made some reference to him having large testicles.

But the point is that it was illegal, he'd been stopped several times before, admitted he'd taken no action to change it and wouldn't this time, and still got let off with no punishment.

I was also amazed how long she argued with him. It should just be "You have an illegal plate, here's a £100 fine, I have a card machine in the car so you can pay now" and that should be it.

So what was the plate then?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Is your knowledge of the rules governing number plates as good as that of the Highway Code?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Why don't you just change your name to T** NGX ? No cost. Job done.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback