The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well done Ed!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's a fab pay rise - well done you :j :j
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Belated congratulations Ed - it's well deserved, I'm sure! Great pay rise too :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just caught up, congratulations Ed and that pay rise should make a noticeable difference.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Happy spreadsheet updating :T:T:T
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mhhh... Not a lot of money news, but there are more important topics!

Start date hasn't been agreed for the new job, but I remain relaxed about it, I can defer my gratification sometimes ;)

Mrs E is getting a 3% pay rise and potentially a one-off 20% bonus at :santa2: time :j

I haven't mentioned on here, but I've been trying to lose weight of late and it's going really well. I have shifted a stone in 8 weeks and finally managed to beat my target half marathon pace last night :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    All good :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Goodness that all sounds very promising. We did three longish walks over the weekend but half-marathons I think my knees and ankles would give up on me. I have lost the weight I gained on holiday in just a week and I am going to start again on the 8-week boost that I did nearly two years ago to see if I can shift another two stone before I retire. I am always interested to hear what others do to lose weight - my plan is the 8-week low blood sugar diet that is low cal and carb/sugar for just 8 weeks but it seems to have changed the way my body processes food for much longer. Two years on and my metabolic processing is definitely less sluggish. Well worth it.

Congratulations on the job, by the way. Not sure if you plan to pay down your CC debts more quickly but I would, if I were you. I have just done some critical reflection on what we have left and how much it costs us per month to pay for. On our very favourable mortgage base rate tracker (0.49% above BoEBR), we are paying over £70 a month in interest, and while all other debt is 0%, our ability to reduce the £70 is inhibited by the drain on current that stops us paying off capital. I know you have your plans but sometimes other people's perspective can nudge you into an adapted plan of attack. Just saying....

Anyway, well done on all fronts!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks SL, I am planning to pay down the debts faster, but I have also detected a bit of lifestyle creep after a solid 6 months of discipline!

On that note, can anyone recommend decent (cheap) laundry detergent and decent (Fairtrade) coffee beans (also cheap as possible)?

There has been a bit of a mixup with the job, so while I have been made a verbal offer, they were a bit hasty and hadn't got their paperwork in order. I am 80% optimistic it will be resolved by Tuesday :eek:
  • We have been using ecoegg laundry detergent
    720 washes per box and its all natural
    You get 72 washes per set of balls and we monitor it with a tick sheet
    Very impressed
    Not sure its "cheap" -but certainly worth the money for the eco credentials and no faff at having to buy it and lug it home
    Also got my daughter the stain remover and she reckons its one of the best she has used

Just checked and its 3p per wash

https://www.ecoegg.com/product/laundry-egg/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport