HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback

Options

Comments

• Peter_Diamond
    Options
    Things seem to have moved very quickly since Amber took up my problem with an unpaid insurance settlement. Just a short while ago I received another authorised settlement figure from a Claims Manager which should be paid into my bank within three working days (Wednesday). This was for a lower amount than was first offered but was due to an additional health related excess which both of us had initially missed and I accept is fair and reasonable. Amber contacted me again to advise that the Claims Manager’s email was on its way and to contact her should payment not be made within the week.
    Hopefully my next post will be to report on a successful conclusion.
  • RBEssex
    RBEssex Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year I had worldwide annual cover with Holidaysafe for £155 plus extra for pre existing conditions. This year they have separated out Mexico from the worldwide cover so without Mexico it's £159 but with Mexico it's now £581 yes £581. How can they possibly justify this?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Things seem to have moved very quickly since Amber took up my problem with an unpaid insurance settlement. Just a short while ago I received another authorised settlement figure from a Claims Manager which should be paid into my bank within three working days (Wednesday). This was for a lower amount than was first offered but was due to an additional health related excess which both of us had initially missed and I accept is fair and reasonable. Amber contacted me again to advise that the Claims Manager’s email was on its way and to contact her should payment not be made within the week.
    Hopefully my next post will be to report on a successful conclusion.

In the case of such poor service, most Insurers would have waived this exces to apologise for their lack of service.
  • Holidaysafe_Representative
    Holidaysafe_Representative Posts: 108 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi RBEssex,

Thank you for your post, my name is Amber and I am the Manager for Holidaysafe Travel Insurance.

I'm sorry to hear you're dissatisfied with our prices this year. Following customer feedback about medical care in Mexico and our claims experience there, we have made the decision to create a new destination bracket specifically for Mexico.

Unfortunately this new bracket is more expensive than our other worldwide groups, but our Underwriters are re-reviewing these prices this week.

Once again I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Amber
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    RBEssex wrote: »
    Last year I had worldwide annual cover with Holidaysafe for £155 plus extra for pre existing conditions. This year they have separated out Mexico from the worldwide cover so without Mexico it's £159 but with Mexico it's now £581 yes £581. How can they possibly justify this?
    If you have read the comments in this thread from those unhappy with the service (rather than the price) you may be grateful their price rise has prompted you to find cover elsewhere!

Not much point having cheap cover if when it comes to a claim they keep you waiting and waiting till you go public in desperation like folk here do!
  • Peter_Diamond
    Options
    Settlement arrived in my bank account late this afternoon much earlier than expected after Amber's intervention. So thanks Amber for all your help and for getting my problem sorted out in double quick time. Just wish I'd made use of the forum sooner. Thanks also to Quentin and dacouch for providing an excellent knowledge base in all your back posts. Gave me a good insight into how the game was played. Thanks all.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Hi RBEssex,

Thank you for your post, my name is Amber and I am the Manager for Holidaysafe Travel Insurance.

I'm sorry to hear you're dissatisfied with our prices this year. Following customer feedback about medical care in Mexico and our claims experience there, we have made the decision to create a new destination bracket specifically for Mexico.

Unfortunately this new bracket is more expensive than our other worldwide groups, but our Underwriters are re-reviewing these prices this week.

Once again I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Amber

Which customers are feeding back to you that they think you should be charging them more for holidays in Mexico?

You must be fairly unique in the Insurance industry to habe customers telling you they don't think they are beig charged enough
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I read it as customers have reported on the standard of medical care, not that they have advised charges need to be increased.
  • dacouch
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    I read it as customers have reported on the standard of medical care, not that they have advised charges need to be increased.

But Holiday Safe do their best to stear customers away from private hospitals via excluding cover for them except in an emergency / cleared in advance by them.

So even if their customers were complaining about the standard of medical care in Mexico they will still end up going to state hospitals after the premium increase...
  • san8888
    Options
    This is the review I posted on Trustpilot this summer:
    I took out travel insurance through Holidaysafe last autumn. The process was quick and straightforward and the premium reasonable. However, as referred to in several reviews, the measure of this product is not the simplicity of purchase but the ease and effectiveness should you be unlucky enough to need to make a claim.
    While on holiday in the US our hire car was broken into and my suitcase and my partner’s bag of technology items stolen.
    Making a claim was not through Holidaysafe - it was through an organisation called TCF (Travel Claims Facilities). You had to fill in a long form. You also had to produce various documents including ones showing the dates and cost of your trip and a written police report (both of which we had) and original receipts for all items claimed.
    How many people keep receipts for clothing? Exactly. I emailed to explain that I did not have any receipts for my clothing and shoes and that the (thankfully few) items of decent jewellery I lost were either gifts or inherited, so I didn’t have receipts for those either and asked TCF to advise. Their response was “Please note that we cannot give definitive responses until we have received the claims forms and the relevant documents back to us. We evaluate each claim on its individual merits.” Not helpful.
    The excess was spread across several categories, £60 for clothes, £60 for shoes, £60 for the suitcase, £60 for toiletries, £60 for sunglasses. Meaning that the total excess for a normal mixed bag was several hundreds of pounds. Yes, I will read the details of cover more carefully when taking out a new policy.
    Finally, the form stated that any payout would be reduced according to the age of the item claimed. So not new for old. Not sure how that is supposed to work - you’re meant to buy replacement items from a charity shop?
    Anyway, all this bureaucracy and hassle, when added to the stress and upset of having lost my possessions, plus the massive excess, was enough to put me off making a claim. Perhaps that was the idea?
    Contrast my experience to that of my partner, whose insurers (NFU) paid out in full within a couple of weeks of him sending them an email listing the items lost and the replacement value.
    All in all very disappointing. If I could give zero stars I would. I won’t be using Holidaysafe again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure