Exchange Only line

Comments

• tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    rusty_f wrote: »
    Virgin stopped using Openreach for ADSL broadband years ago. They only sell on their own network now.

Not in Scotland they don't. I can get Virgin broadband on my line at home, the nearest bit of virgin network is over 100 miles away
  • rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    Michael74 wrote: »
    Also EO lines are relatively short, the more rural you are the more cabinets there are between you and the exchange, and cabinets mean fibre BB. This is why you were only on an EO line in London, they are mainly found in suburbs, as I said before I think the rural bit is a Red Herring, its down to Openreach in England just being allowed to do as they please.

The long and short of it is EO line require more work to convert and Openreach don't want to spend the money as we are a smaller customer base. Yes thats capitlism/consumerism, but I don't have to take it lying down lol

The exchange only line I was on in London was over 4km in length. I was an exception, I assume for historical reasons, but it was a very long line, and very poor speeds. Many EO lines I saw were a lot shorter because the properties were very close to the exchange - I had sub-2Mb/sec download speeds. As the crow flies, the distance between my property and the exchange was around 2km but it took a circuitous route to where I lived.

I agree that it costs a lot of money to reconfigure the network to allow FTTC, and given I was served by Virgin there was no reason for Openreach to do that where I lived. We were a small sub-set of customers in an exchange which covered 17k+ premises, so it didn't really matter to them.
  • Michael74
    Michael74 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So after a little bit of digging, my exchange has 13 cabinets, 4 are FTTC rest are not and 9 sets of EO routes all with god knows how many subscribers on the ends.... Put it another way, thats 4 out of 22 postcodes with access to FTTC That's a lot of people without FTTC. But due to Virgin being in the area its not a priority... ho hum
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We live in rural England and were connected direct to the exchange. ADSL speeds were pretty good at 18 Mbps. Since the end of last year the connection has been upgraded and we now have fibre at around 48 Mbps.

No Virgin around here.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am on an EO line and had to wait for the BBUK scheme via Connecting Cheshire to install a cab outside the exchange to enable me to get fibre. This was about 18 months after fibre was rolled out to the non EO lines
  • tberry6686 wrote: »
    Not in Scotland they don't. I can get Virgin broadband on my line at home, the nearest bit of virgin network is over 100 miles away

Nonsense. They sold the ADSL service off to TalkTalk ages ago. There is no way you can get Virgin broadband if you are 100 miles away from any network.

Also, Virgin have network in many more places than you mentioned. For example Perth, Glenrothes, Falkirk, Ayr to name a few.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:59AM
    Also EO lines are relatively short, the more rural you are the more cabinets there are between you and the exchange, and cabinets mean fibre BB. This is why you were only on an EO line in London, they are mainly found in suburbs, as I said before I think the rural bit is a Red Herring, its down to Openreach in England just being allowed to do as they please.

The long and short of it is EO line require more work to convert and Openreach don't want to spend the money as we are a smaller customer base. Yes thats capitlism/consumerism, but I don't have to take it lying down lol

Not all EO lines are close to the exchange , some can be miles away from their host exchange , most people have a line that is served by a PCP (cabinet) and only have one PCP in their copper pairs route back to the exchange , even those on the longest lines that are on the boundary between two exchange areas.
    Your post suggests cabs are chained together and a 'line' could pass through several cabs to the exchange and connect to FTTP at any of these cabs along the way, this simply isn't the case.
    Even if you were on a line that went through a cab, if it's a rural area it's entirely possible that the 'line' from the cabinet to the property was a significant distance , and in those cases FTTC / VDSL may not improve the speed , and FTTP would probably be considered in those locations.
    In your particular case, I would think you are the lowest priority , you have fast ADSL (18Mb/s faster than some on FTTC ) and have access to NGA superfast broadband from a non Openreach supplier, you just don't want to use them....
  • Michael74
    edited 15 April 2018 at 12:37PM
    iniltous wrote: »
    Not all EO lines are close to the exchange , some can be miles away from their host exchange , most people have a line that is served by a PCP (cabinet) and only have one PCP in their copper pairs route back to the exchange , even those on the longest lines that are on the boundary between two exchange areas.
    Your post suggests cabs are chained together and a 'line' could pass through several cabs to the exchange and connect to FTTP at any of these cabs along the way, this simply isn't the case.
    Even if you were on a line that went through a cab, if it's a rural area it's entirely possible that the 'line' from the cabinet to the property was a significant distance , and in those cases FTTC / VDSL may not improve the speed , and FTTP would probably be considered in those locations.
    In your particular case, I would think you are the lowest priority , you have fast ADSL (18Mb/s faster than some on FTTC ) and have access to NGA superfast broadband from a non Openreach supplier, you just don't want to use them....

Thank you for your very technical reply, I don't really understand why you should choose to finish the post in such a way, have I offended you somehow? Of course I don't want to pay Virgin Media over £10 pm more than FTTC competitors, would you happily pay more for a service than others? I started this thread knowing that Openreach have no plans to offer FTTC in my area, and I have acknowledged that Virgin are my only other option I was simply wanting to discover if others have been in the same position and what solutions they may have had. For instance an excellent idea of restricting bandwidth on the router. That is after all what a consumer forum is all about isn't it. If you feel that this tread or any of my posts are not in the spirit of this forum then I invite you to report this tread for moderation, or just not reply. I wish you a good day.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2018 at 1:36PM
    Thank you for your very technical reply, I don't really understand why you should choose to finish the post in such a way, have I offended you somehow? Of course I don't want to pay Virgin Media over £10 pm more than FTTC competitors, would you happily pay more for a service than others? I started this thread knowing that Openreach have no plans to offer FTTC in my area, and I have acknowledged that Virgin are my only other option I was simply wanting to discover if others have been in the same position and what solutions they may have had. For instance an excellent idea of restricting bandwidth on the router. That is after all what a consumer forum is all about isn't it. If you feel that this tread or any of my posts are not in the spirit of this forum then I invite you to report this tread for moderation, or just not reply. I wish you a good day.

No offence was intended , simply that OR and the parent group BT are commercial businesses and aim there resources (when it's a commercial decision) , on where they will get a decent return, your area's already got VM access , so wouldn't be a high priority as the return would be poor , and considerably more work would be required to convert an E/O area to one suitable for FTTC, making the cost/benefit even worse.
    As fas as price is concerned, FTTP could be the solution for your area should it be considered for an upgrade from ADSL by OR , only a few ISP's offer service over FTTP, and of those that do, BT are the 'value' provider, they don't tend to offer discounts over the 'list price, so FTTP would be no cheaper than VM.

Those ISP's considered budget providers like TT don't offer service over FTTP so the chances are you wouldn't get a fibre and line bundle for £20-25.
    It's difficult to average out phone and FTTP prices, with cash backs , Visa cards etc, but it's probably £25-£30 ( after introductory offers etc) and that's not that different to VM's 50Mb bundle price
  • Michael74
    iniltous wrote: »
    No offence was intended , simply that OR and the parent group BT are commercial businesses and aim there resources (when it's a commercial decision) , on where they will get a decent return, your area's already got VM access , so wouldn't be a high priority as the return would be poor , and considerably more work would be required to convert an E/O area to one suitable for FTTC, making the cost/benefit even worse.
    As fas as price is concerned, FTTP could be the solution for your area should it be considered for an upgrade from ADSL by OR , only a few ISP's offer service over FTTP, and of those that do, BT are the 'value' provider, they don't tend to offer discounts over the 'list price, so FTTP would be no cheaper than VM.

Those ISP's considered budget providers like TT don't offer service over FTTP so the chances are you wouldn't get a fibre and line bundle for £20-25.
    It's difficult to average out phone and FTTP prices, with cash backs , Visa cards etc, but it's probably £25-£30 ( after introductory offers etc) and that's not that different to VM's 50Mb bundle price

Thanks for the clarification, its very much appreciated.

You raise an interesting point about the possibility of future of EO lines being converted to FTTP, although considering how successive governments have made a total dogs dinner of the privatisation and subsequent upgrades and renewals of the Network, I wont hold my breath.

As previously mentioned I suffer now from x1 child with an Xbox, x1 streaming music and videos, myself and my wife trying to fit in, so FTTC instead of an EO would be wonderful to get that bit more speed and bandwidth and it looks like I will have to venture to Virgin once my time is up with EE.

Thanks all for your input
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport