Health and Safety Laws Re Accident Book

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    The accident book is for recording reportable accidents, ie where someone suffers death, severe injury, or needs hospital treatment.

An incident is not a reportable accident, but an occurance where first aid is administered. Companies are not obliged to record these, but it is difficult to discharge their duty of monitoring health and safety compliance if they do not.
    Companies may do this by keeping a separate incident book, but often the same book is used, loosely referred to as the "accident book".

So if you were not seriously injured, and refused first aid, then it was not an accident, not an incident, and not recordable unless they chose to do so.
  • A similar case has just happened to my mother,of which i would be grateful for some advice.last week she was shopping in a local supermarket when she fell over a pipe which was sticking out from a fridge.she reported it when she got to the tillpoint,to which the employee ignored her.
    The day after she was in pain and had a badly bruised eye from where she had fell.she rang the store to which she was then diverted to head office and explained what had happened.they apologised and said that the accident book at the very least should of been completed for this.Just today she's received a letter from the store chain apologising for any inconvenience and that the store manager filled the accident book in at the time (which is a lie,as no details where given or manager present).I feel strongly about this as its implying my mother is telling lies when its the store manager doing this. Any ideas??
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    pete50 wrote: »
    A similar case has just happened to my mother,of which i would be grateful for some advice.last week she was shopping in a local supermarket when she fell over a pipe which was sticking out from a fridge.she reported it when she got to the tillpoint,to which the employee ignored her.
    The day after she was in pain and had a badly bruised eye from where she had fell.she rang the store to which she was then diverted to head office and explained what had happened.they apologised and said that the accident book at the very least should of been completed for this.Just today she's received a letter from the store chain apologising for any inconvenience and that the store manager filled the accident book in at the time (which is a lie,as no details where given or manager present).I feel strongly about this as its implying my mother is telling lies when its the store manager doing this. Any ideas??

What makes you think the employee ignored your mother when she reported the matter at the till point?

It that were me, and I thought I was being ignored, I would have demanded to have spoken to a superior there and then.

In the event, it appears based on what you have posted, that the employee did not ignore your mother but reported the incident which was then duly notarised in the accident book.
  • i'm going by the words of my mother who said the member of staff ignored her and carried on serving.does the accident book need the person affected to be present when its completed? or for the persons details to be recorded?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure