PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• Duvet testing is being carried out!

That trumps everyone else’s pleasure!
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Welcome dietdemon.

Saturday pleasures,

Cold and wet start at the stables, home to eggy bread and fried tomatoes.

Dried fruit prepared for Bara Birth today.

Getting horse girlie in from field and found she had lost front shoe, pleasure was finding it in the mud but need to get someone out asap to put it back on!

Then Rosie needed emergency visit to vet when tumour started bleeding, she now wears cone of shame! Pleasure is we have insurance!

Collapsed into bed and fell asleep quickly.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 January 2018 at 12:12PM
    Again RL daft-as-a-brush with bonus snowfall - huge thanks to all who post, like markers in deep snow as to where to find the path! Trying to pack for travel to Bristol, to teach software fun to colleagues.

mhagster - love the sounds of steady return to home even if Haggis' eating habits are not covered by our NHS. Atta girl DD2 postponing a year - fully recover from tonsillectomy (eep), learn the strange language & priorities of this place before returning down under - extra maturity in the undergraduate is an underrated bonus.
    Ampersand - delighted to hear you alive & thriving & reasonably eyeing our weather with a do-I-have-to eye!
    BoP - I must point out to some of my scouts that engineering is a shrewd subject to meet smart & well paid chaps. Some of the lassies lack ambition, but I'm trying!
    Skint! Welcome for emerging briefly from under the duvet - let healing be gradual but thorough & hurrah puppy cooperating.
    mila - keep on with the recovery - and do not be tempted into trying before you're ready? (Mum has consigned zimmer frame& wheelchair to garden shed already & we're terrified. She's even doing stairs, god help us.)
    Frith - my absolute sympathies racing to get catering ingredients for what turns out to be next weeks class. (They're very rarely MSE cuisine, either, dashit. Says she holding a mild grudge over the glacee cherries of years ago!)
    Purple kitten - clearly dad keeping a close eye on his funeral. I'm sure you'll do him proud. Keep on with Pratchett & Molesworth - I have to retrieve Pratchetts from the lads rooms & found 8 in one bed one time... He got a lecture on the proper care of books! I got about three days happily rereading Discworld.)
    LaineyT - absolutely with you on vet students looking young (& Short! as if they could barely mount a Shetland unassisted) as two were at the yard along the road & only their working hi-vis showed them to be professionals in a sea of Saturday riding school enthusiasts.
    villagelife - we're watching sunset slip further & further back with glee. Problem being if you miss it, your sense of time goes awry & I've worked til 6 for three days by accident! Is there no ombudsperson to turn to re carehome? (Recent Which article may be of use?)
    mcculloch - very good to see you & prime can be such a blessing!
    house elf - congratulations on 26 years & I love the MSE ways your sons have learned, even if they do need mum to help them get the plushy dog home...
    kittikins - hurrah for good days & the KW!
    MrsSD - hm bacon & Stilton scones sound Wonderful!
    VJsmum - welcome back & hurrah 'grandad' pie - I love it too! Definitely better a roofer than an undertaker.
    Mrs LW - awed & much impressed at your fortitude dealing with dud boiler!
    bagpuss38 - awed at the meal planning & off to google vegan jamabalaya - well done!
    DundeeDoll - congratulations on first win - reappear & tell us more?
    Dietdemon - welcome! & yes indeed, the first brew of the day is a special pleasure!
    Everyone else - apologies & thanks for posting but livestock up & the peace is shattered....

OS Pleasures recently
    Finding myself negotiating when I go to the gym lest son & I overlap. (He thinks this conjunction is unspeakable.) Me, I'm going when I'm ready & he can either hit a button for cooldown or just avert his mind...

I love QI - crab makes gillie suit! Mind the mad hatterpiller is deeply impressive (just as a name!) & as for Hairy Panic? Yes, tumbleweed can be distinctly nasty, & who knew it was Russian in origin?!

The gym (by daylight) was crowded - there were four of us there! [Yesterday just three & I persevered til I had the place as I like it. To Myself.] Today the usual stiffnesses but a definite sense of ha!

An American program about a "flag" annoyed me enough to revise what I knew about UK subs & the Jolly Roger. We were there first & far more entertainingly. Special kudos to HMS Unseen who asked Leslie Charteris' permission to use his Saint stick figure (instead of the usual dagger) for cloak & dagger ops, got it & added another halo after each successful op.

Midway through a phone call, my mother snorted with laughter, "you always make me laugh!" (Well, that's mostly how I edit what I tell her, but a happy mum is worth the effort.) The lumpfish roe caviar is back in Lidl again, so I snagged a couple of jars so I can go & make blinis for her. She thinks it's one sneeze this side of miraculous!

The Lucifer TV series "not much music in Hell. Though we've been playing something called Bieber - the screams are fantastic!" Difficult to fall off a bean bag but I nearly managed.

Oh gods. Eavesdropping is dangerous. "Is there VAT on a tiger?" "Would you get private use of it?"

Colleagues who have travelled to Manchester to train, happily grousing about the weather. One particularly heated, having an email from his manager saying "weather atrocious work at home if you can" - well, the first bit my chap has live experience of & the second is not feasible, & you never get a snow day in lieu....

"Garlic bread is proof there is a god." Well, that's one devout &/or happy teenager....

I have cables of various sorts the way my grandmother had stamps. Unobtrusive but carried Everywhere. Today a colleague is borrowing one for indefinite period but it's return is promised (another colleague took a cable on holiday, grr) so there is a cheerful, hopeful air.

My poor colleagues - a Friday night fire drill. At first I thought they were a dubious crowd loitering - but the hi-vis jackets explained the baffling numbers lurking.

"I like Coast."
    "That was Stargate!"
    "Was it? Oh..." Some nights tracking theme music is too much for the chaps.

Two little sistema containers (one with a spoon) at Aldi - this should make stretching the hotel breakfast to cover a light lunch much easier... Even if I can't bring myself to use them away training, I can now take yogurt & berries into work safely.

Ah the gym! My go-to place for endorphins after controlled pain. An odd addiction but one I can now suggest to a self harming former scout. All the control, all the pain, no giveaway scarring. My previously unsuspected yen for hi-vis clothing also indulged in safety.

Snow! Lots! As we shopped with this in mind yesterday, We Do Not Need To Go Out & son away with friends can figure his own way home. Strapping great 16 year old, proper outdoor kit, & phone - will doubtless return hungry but the fridge can probably cope. [Young Tumnus popped in to borrow tools to assist hanging a curtain rail & curtain for gf & her mother & popped out again.]

Right - all health, strength, love & luck all round, plus reliable roofers & hwbs & boilers & safe travels!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good evening. Drip drip drip says the thaw outside. Just in the last hour the rain has started. We had lots and lots of snow earlier so shall wait and see what the morning brings.

Dog walk in the snow.

Much laughter with kids today and they've been laughing amongst themselves too. Good to hear.

Nice dinner of gammon, roast potatoes and parsnips from freezer, cabbage, carrots, peas and broccoli and cheese sauce to appease DD1 as its not her favourite.

Another walk and picked up some very RTC flowers and points added from previous receipts . Very slippy walk home as rain had started.
  • Duvet testing has been completed. Day has become night!

Sleep tight all
  • dietdemon wrote: »
    Dear all it is so refreshing reading your posts. I am trying to simplify life so that I can reduce my hours at work. As I have a 3 hour commute a day and not getting any younger! I would like to be able to do this in the next 2 years.

I need to reduce my outgoings to do this which just seem to disappear! So getting a handle on this. I also thought it would be good to remember on a daily basis the good things I enjoy that have no or very little cost but bring such pleasure.

Here goes

Being warm and toasty in bed although freezing outside
    First cup of coffee of the day
    Day off work spent with DH
    Watching the antics of my dog
    Music on radio 2

Happy Sunday all:)

Welcome Dietdemon,

You are in good company here:) I really do not envy you a three hour daily commute:(

I really liked your first set of os pleasures - it is definitely the simple things in life that bring real pleasure.

Mine for Sunday:-

1. Sleet then large snowflakes which promised a couple of inches of snow:j:T Yah 😒- too wet to settle then stopped snowing as quickly as it had started!

2. A robin visited our garden for the first time this year:T

3. My ‘invented flan’ using various lo ingredients was absolutely 😋 - added to my notebook of successful recipes.

4. Phoned DSis & she has almost finished restoring her son’s leather coat (all the mould gone, leather preserver worked in & just waiting for it to dry naturally) She keeps looking at it & admiring her handiwork & celebrating the money saved:money: It is lovely to hear her so happy.

5. Small amount of mince turned into a large pan of bolognese sauce for Monday & Tuesday’s dinner with plenty left for the freezer.

Nightie night all!

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 January 2018 at 11:44PM
    Dfv dd reappearing, and cant for the life of me remember first win comment
    Mrssd ‘‘twas me re be kind be courageous and never ever eat pears
    Mhags glad to read dd2 doing well. I too have had hair cut short and feeling the Scottish draft on my neck
    PM2BOP bit better?
    Waves to all. I am fine, just been horribly busy since return to work. Church meetings, ceilidhs, lectures and book club in the evenings. Anyway, life is overall fabulous. Still no romance, but maybe that’s why it’s overall fabulous lmao.
    1) bought a couple of very nice small armchairs for the bay in the sale. They only had 3 left
    2) voucher for 2 free cuppas and 2 scones with mum used
    3) lovely walks with the dogs in the snow. Fun watching families sledging down Lochee Park
    4) choir from Aberdeen kings chapel with Paul Mealor at tonight’s evensong. Super duper
    5) now watching death in paradise. Bit gutted I handed Jamaica trip to colleague due to going to Oman, Kuwait, Saudi and Abu Dhabi in next 3 months, at least 3 of these have fallen through. Such is life.
    Hugs to all. Lovely to be back in the fold xxx
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in!

2) Smoked salmon and soft cheese bagels for sons, avocado and salmon for me.

3) Cooked another big batch of soup this morning.

4) Trudged through snow again to feed the hens.

5) Smaller son went to football with his friends and bigger son met his friends and went to McDs.

6) I went to my niece's 3rd birthday party.

7) Watched SAS programme with bigger son.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hey DD:hello:

Sunday pleasures,

The cream seems to be working well and big dogs paw is not looking so angry and sore, unlike the backs of my legs which she keeps banging with plastic cone!

Bacon butties whilst listening to the all things Ambridge.

It snowed heavily between visits to the yard but didn't settle.

A barn owl flying along the side of the car as came away from the stables, hunting for its tea no doubt, beautiful heart shaped face.

Watching Vera whilst eating crumpets, late supper.
  • A welcome remains in the Parish for newbies

PM2DD Looked at the highlights and we was robbed! Like the new away kit though!

5 Boudoir is now readied with only one bed. Because BoP has short arms and deep pockets, the BoPsie bed is on hold for this weak! Best way to do it. So now this weekend, as you recall after the Boudoir updates, is the office move and dining room strip! More later! Snorkers again will be served. As BoP went to w8rs last day and shopped until he dropped on proper foods, the snorkers were on offer and best back was bought. Now we have gamble selects for Saturday brekfest this months, one is of 4 snorkers, left over from the least fill, tow are two snorkers and four best backs, the other three are of two snorkers and two best backs. Lucky dips!

4 The Sunday meal last day was proper roast chicken with sage filled stuffing, proper roast tatties, leek and cauliflower. Xmas pud was also served up. And we started spud wars on buck of face! So that means a couple of curries are going to be served this week! More later! Jam was taken with the chicken!

Thirty Eight years ago I went to Lincoln and attested. It was the first time that I had done anything that was my own decision, without parent interrupting. Not being forced into some comfort course to keep them happy, but away into my own life. Not separate from them, but on my ability, not their say. Next day another train to Newark Northgate and the first journey on the Steam bus along Ermine Street. Thirty eight years later, I still work in aviation!

2 Night BoP is in the gym showing off his beached ready body in the gym. Usual viewing rights remain open!

Further updates this weak from BoP will include the following!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback