Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Does anyone know what date student finance are currently processing evidence received from?

If I have to ring them up again I may commit suicide..

Thanks,

Michael
  • Taiko, I don't know how to thank you for the advice and help you've given me; it seems that SFE have finally caved in and apparently they paid me yesterday according to a letter I received. Not sure if it's to do with the fact that they decided to pay me the money on the date of my 25th birthday, or your help or they managed to find the evidence they lost but whatever...it's finally sorted so thanks a million!!
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2010 at 8:37PM
    Residency criteria (student finance)
    ATTENTION TAIKO OR STUDENT_ADVISOR

Pls can you advice on appealling my student finance application . To enable you have a good jugement/assessment of my situation I will briefly give some details about myself.

1. I am from non EEA country, been working full time to date while attending university. Within the period was issued 5yrs residence as an EEA FAMILY MEMBER.
    2. Applied for university funding for 08/09 student finance and was granted (1st year).
    3.applied for 09/10 (2nd year) funding and was rejected as ineligilble for disclosing change in ciricumstances (divorce) and also told i was not settled.
    4. I was granted permanent residence 08/2010.
    5. My application was returned ineligible reasons being that i have been granted settled status after 1st year of my course and as a result do not satisfy the residency criteria for student finance England.

I am confused as to the criteria used to asess my application. Not sure where the residency thing falls. I will be glad for any advice.

many thank in advance for anyone that can help with any of these matters!
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Taiko, I don't know how to thank you for the advice and help you've given me; it seems that SFE have finally caved in and apparently they paid me yesterday according to a letter I received. Not sure if it's to do with the fact that they decided to pay me the money on the date of my 25th birthday, or your help or they managed to find the evidence they lost but whatever...it's finally sorted so thanks a million!!

Glad it's resolved. I've intentionally not emailed you back, as I wanted to check things before updating you.

Armed with the CTS, I've made a few calls. Firstly to the main student advisors, who you all speak to. They had no idea of the regulations, as expected.

I then went directly through on one of the numbers I had, and spoke to someone up there who I know will assess properly. After quoting sections of the regulations, they were convinced that, if taken to court, they would not win due to how the regulations are made. Support as an independent student was reinstated a few days ago, with payment going in earlier today.

I hate that I had to get as involved as I did, but in genuine cases I will help if I have the time to do so.
  • Taiko
    Need to explore the residency query in more detail. Which country are you from? And also need more info on the nationality of the ex-partner. Also need it for current partner, and full 3 year residency history before the 1st academic year.

This is likely to throw up more questions, so do not expect an instant reply.
  • Taiko, the letter from SFE was dated 22/10/2010. But anyway, thanks a million again. You're truly an asset to so many people. :)
  • VBB
    edited 23 December 2010 at 8:41PM
    Taiko wrote: »
    Need to explore the residency query in more detail. Which country are you from? And also need more info on the nationality of the ex-partner. Also need it for current partner, and full 3 year residency history before the 1st academic year.

This is likely to throw up more questions, so do not expect an instant reply.

Taiko
    Thanks for your response. My ex-wife was portuguese was married for almost five years and working.
  • Taiko
    I am going to agree with SFE in this instance in making you ineligible, as you were previously eligible as the spouse of a migrant worker. In divorcing, you lost your eligibility.

However, now you have settled status, you are eligible for support under Schedule 1, Part 2(3) of The Education Student Support Regulations 2009. You are entitled from the academic quarter following on from the date of which you were awarded ILR, provided that before the first year of studies you were resident within the UK.

It's a very complex case this, but I do not have time to take it on a personal level. Hopefully this guidance will point you in the right direction. For further information, I suggest you read Paragraphs 71 & 72 of the link below. http://practitioners.studentfinanceengland.co.uk/pls/portal/url/ITEM/91CBD044A55A4062E043AC1401A14062
  • VBB
    Hi Taiko,
    I want thank you very much for your quick response. will explore more on the link given.

Once again thank you
  • Hi Taiko,

If you have any authority to look into cases then please can you have a look at mine. I currently have my student bank account overdraft maxed out and I've got bills coming up to pay. I'm not an undergrad, I'm a trainee pgce teacher and live in private rental accommodation, if I don't get my loan soon I will be kicked out of my home.

I applied several months ago and mistakenly thought I should put I was independent because I have had lived on my own for a while. When I realised my mistake and realised it was easier to send in my dads details I phoned up and was advised to send in a pff2 with my dads p60.

I did this and it was added to my application, I phoned up again after hearing nothing and they said I needed to send proof of my parents divorce. Which they didn't tell me before.. Meanwhile I received the minimum loan amount.

I sent in the divorce details and they received it on the 8th of October. I phoned up again a couple of weeks after that and they said it was in a queue for the evidence being processed and I should phone up if you haven't received my top up loan and grant in 10 days.

After hearing nothing again, I phoned up yesterday. the person on the phone said he didn't know why the evidence hadn't been added to my file and it should have been done. He said he has emailed head office and I have been told to wait 10 days again.

I'm not convinced everything is right with my application and I am very worried. All my numbers have been processed, I was told it was just a matter of seeing the divorce papers and I would get the top up very quickly.

Even more worryingly, last month my online status said awaiting evidence and i would be receiving the max loan and grant but this month it says approved and the minimum amount of loan and grant.

please can you help or advise me what to do?

Sorry for the ramble,

Michael
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport