Help: Locking Gas Valve for Dementia Patient

AndyLiv40
AndyLiv40 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 6 August 2018 at 11:52AM in Disability money matters
Does anyone have any experience with getting Cadent to fit a locking gas valve ?

My mum has dementia and sometimes leaves the gas hob lit or tries to light cigarettes from the hob. Her designated Mental Health nurse supplied details of locking gas valves available from Cadent. Their website states:

'We can fit a lockable safety device (locking cooker valve) to the pipework of a gas cooker or hob !!!8211; this service is free of charge and is installed by one of our own engineers. This simple safety device will help a person living in a vulnerable situation retain their independence, and provide reassurance to family, friends and carers."

I applied for such a valve by completing the on-line form, clearly stating the nature of the installation (under-counter electric oven with gas hob mounted in the work-surface above the oven) but when submitted, no acknowledgment was received. It took several follow up calls and a form re-submission before an engineer was eventually despatched to the property. To his, and my, frustration, he stated that he had not been given the information from the call centre and that the installation would not be possible due to the cost of having to re-route pipework from underneath cupboards etc to a location where the valve can be readily located. He stated this is as recurring problem with installations of a work-surface mounted hobs due to the statement on the Cadent Website which only states that the fitting of the valve will be covered free of charge, without stating that any other rework required is chargeable to the customers own account

All advice on escalating this issue gratefully received.

Comments

• I'm not sure there is any advice, they charge for such work even though the website appears not to make it clear they did tell you as soon as they saw the work required. Is the charge prohibitive? is it worth the charge for the peace of mind it might offer?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    AndyLiv40 wrote: »
    that the installation would not be possible due to the cost of having to re-route pipework from underneath cupboards etc to a location where the valve can be readily located.
    There will always be a cost when pipes have to be moved. Maybe worth thinking about, for safety reasons. After all we can't put a price on someones life.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The whole idea seems flawed to me. The simple answer is to get an electric hob or a gas home that is more modern and has flame failure burners on it.

How is the end user going to manage if a locking cooker valve is fitted and those with keys are away perhaps on holiday? Are they to starve?

Again, what about if the person has another gas appliance,maybe a gas fire? Do they fit locking gas fire valves also ? The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, unless I'm missing something I'm confused as to how a device that can only be used when someone else is there to unlock it promotes independence. And what if the carer forgets to lock it again when they leave?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    glad it's not just me, I couldn't figure how this aids independence either, nor adds to safety if it's an accessible switch
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not put a lockable timer on the central heating in case they turn it on and leave it on full in the hot weather and suffer in health or worse because of it?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure