Item described as in excellent condition - chipped

Options
I bought a small pottery item last week and it has arrived today.

The listing said in excellent condition it has arrived with damage to the base. On close inspection of the photos the damage is obvious and I could kick myself for not noticing it.

Is this SNAD or would the photo override the excellent condition as detailed in the listing.

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally I would treat anything not described as mint or as new with suspicion. Adjectives on condition are almost meaningless. One persons "excellent" can be another persons "good" or "poor" depending on their thresholds
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would message the seller to say that you're disappointed that there is a chip on the base which wasn't mentioned in the description. If they don't play ball open a SNAD.
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Personally I would treat anything not described as mint or as new with suspicion. Adjectives on condition are almost meaningless. One persons "excellent" can be another persons "good" or "poor" depending on their thresholds

You can't even trust 'brand new', here's a current example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpinestars-Supertech-R-Road-Race-Boots-new/283070255832?hash=item41e84d52d8:g:zooAAOSwMtZbVzhB

"probably used 5-10 times maximum"
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seller has not yet replied to my message. I am not expecting a quick reply as the item was bought on the 14th they messaged on the 17th to say posting Wednesday (18th) and I received an email to say it was on its way on the 24th.

If they ignore me how long do I have to open a SNAD? The reason I ask is we go away Monday for a week and have limited internet access for messages and dont fancy taking it to post with me.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seller has not yet replied to my message. I am not expecting a quick reply as the item was bought on the 14th they messaged on the 17th to say posting Wednesday (18th) and I received an email to say it was on its way on the 24th.

If they ignore me how long do I have to open a SNAD? The reason I ask is we go away Monday for a week and have limited internet access for messages and dont fancy taking it to post with me.

You have 30 days from actual or latest estimated delivery to open a SNAD on eBay.

You have 180 days from purchase on Paypal (although you are responsible for returns cost).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Once a return case is opened you have quite a while to return it, from memory it is something like 21 days - ebay labels don't seem to be dated so it isn't a case of having to use a label as soon as it is added to the case.

You could therefore open a SNAD today and see how quickly the seller responds.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    Just an update gave seller over a week to agree to taking item back all I got was its a collectable and is worth more than I paid. Its a very low value collectable £5ish which is worthless chipped. They claim that they did not see the chip yet if you look closely at their photo you can see it (looks like camera glare unless you know its a chip).

I opened a return request on Monday stating arrived damaged so far seller has not replied. They have until the 14th before I can ask Ebay to help how do I do this?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I opened a return request on Monday stating arrived damaged so far seller has not replied. They have until the 14th before I can ask Ebay to help how do I do this?

If the seller doesn't resolve, on the 8th day (to the second) you will see the option on the case to "ask eBay to step in". You can either use the prompts or give them a ring.

The seller should refund or give you a returns label before the 8th day. If they don't then either ebay will refund you or they will supply a label. In the case of such low value, they will usually refund without a return.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    Thank you for the advice - seller is not doing very well at the moment they have been left a negative by someone else for inadequate packaging resulting in damage guess they are ignoring them as well.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    Not heard a thing from the seller so will ask Ebay to step in once I am allowed to. I guess the seller thinks he has my money so he is safe just hope Ebay find in my favour.

The annoying thing is the chip was on the actual photo but looked like camera glare now I have the item you can tell its a chip not glare. The seller must have known it was chipped as it was the first thing I saw when I opened his poorly packaged parcel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure