What's happened to Samsung laptop

Comments

• Windows 10 installation media downloaded and saved onto USB Flash Drive.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    john240870 wrote: »
    Windows 10 installation media downloaded and saved onto USB Flash Drive.

Not quite. You have created installation media on the USB drive. Downloaded and saved means downloaded and saved.

We'll swap drives and get started once you are happy that you have made backups of the data that you wish to keep.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    Not quite. You have created installation media on the USB drive. Downloaded and saved means downloaded and saved.

We'll swap drives and get started once you are happy that you have made backups of the data that you wish to keep.
    So what's the easiest way of copying everything from SSD to HDD. As HDD is much bigger than the SSD so thought if I just copy everything over. then once the SSD is working I can copy things over as and when I need them, as the SSD is quite small. So only what to copy things over if I need them.
  • EveryWhere
    So what's the easiest way of copying everything from SSD to HDD. As HDD is much bigger than the SSD so thought if I just copy everything over. then once the SSD is working I can copy things over as and when I need them, as the SSD is quite small. So only what to copy things over if I need them.

grumpycrab informed you, in post #64
  • Right I believe ive copied everything needed. Can't believe I had so much rubbish on there. No wonder I was running out of room lol.
  • EveryWhere
    Right I believe ive copied everything needed. Can't believe I had so much rubbish on there. No wonder I was running out of room lol.

So next we hope that we can install to your SSD(replace it within the laptop).

Then you plug the installation media on the USB into the right hand side of the laptop. Restart the laptop and then keep pressing the F10 key every half a second, until you see a Boot Menu.
    From the Boot Menu choose the USB Flash Drive if you can see it there.

If you cannot see it, try this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIGwsEYB18
  • Hi it's asking which type of installation do you want upgrade or custom
    What happens to all the stuff already on SSD will that get deleted.
  • Hi clicked on upgrade and it said can't do upgrade from USB. So clicked custom
    But now it says Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 1 and when i click on the over one it says the same with that drive. Do I need to format the drive first. At the bottom of the page it says
    Refresh
    Delete
    Format
    New
    Load driver
    Extend
  • EveryWhere
    Hi it's asking which type of installation do you want upgrade or custom
    What happens to all the stuff already on SSD will that get deleted.

Custom (All will be deleted)
    and then choose to delete all former partitions

04-Cutom-Windows-10-Clean-Install-640x480.png
    05-Delete-Existing-Primary-Partition-Windows-10-Clean-Install1-640x480.png

Until you have only Unallocated Space
    07-Create-New-Partition-from-Unallocated-Space-5-Windows-10-Clean-Install-640x480.png

Then you can choose Next(not New as shown in the pic)

During installation; https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1903.frag

You can stop before; LET IT DOWNLOAD ALL THE UPDATES
  • I've deleted drive and it now says
    drive 0 unallocated space 232.6gb
    But it's still saying Windows can't be installed on this drive. And when I click show details it says Windows cannot be installed on the disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table . On EFI systems. Windows can only be installed to GPT Disk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure