Money Moral Dilemma: Should Ashley get more £££?

Comments

• jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    cbrooks wrote: »
    What would people be jealous of then? the original comment was made to point out that this person should be spending the pittance that they recieve on essential items not on scratch cards.:T

they do they just use the change and there aint nowt wrong with that

and they would be jealous if they won millions i bet
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Willowcat wrote: »
    Ashley didn't state there were conditions on what the money could be spent on, so she's lucky her sister is good hearted and includes her in the win. To loan £30 and then make 200% profit in such a short time - she should be grateful, especially when it would seem her sister is short of cash.
    !!! FAMILIES !!!

It's because it's family that Ashley should share her winnings. Had her sister not helped her she'd not have won and possibly been in serious trouble.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Share it 50/50 - but if I'd lent the money I'd have been narked that she spent £1 on a scratch card using the money I gave her 'cos she was supposed to be skint.
  • Kerilinann
    Kerilinann Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    klarapie wrote: »
    This was an episode of 'Due South' in the 90's, remember when Ray Vecchio bought the scratchcard and won and wouldn't give any to his sister?

I miss that show.

& I think being given £100 is alright. I would give that much to my sister, and she said she would give that much to me, and both of us would be happy with that.
  • This is easy come easy go. Ashley should take the £100 and quickly. The following points are worthy of consideration : Why could Jessica not find £30 to go shopping with ? What did she need to buy apart from a scratch card ? How did she intend to pay it back ? Will she put the bite on her sister again in future "shopping" expeditions ?
  • NiggyG wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the scenario doesn't give the full context. It could be that Jessica just has a cash flow issue but is financially sound. If this isn't the case then gambling is silly. Giving £100 is a nice gesture, Ashley is being greedy by wanting more.

Surely if Jessica is financially sound, then she wouldn't have a cashflow problem would she. Financially sound people budget and plan for the worst eventualities.

I personally think that gambling with borrowed money for shopping would be despicable, and that she should give Ashley the entire winnings as it was her money used to start with!
  • A scratchcard is a pound. If she had bought a coffee with it, would people have been sceraming at her for having a coffee addiction. My mum and I tend to buy lucky dips (two separate tickets) and then let the other choose which one they want. If she won a grand and offered to give me £100, I'd be happy. Frankly, I wouldn't care if she didn't - once something is hers, it's hers.

I feel your situation with your mum is nothing like this scenario. Ashley loaned her sister the £30 for shopping! If there was any change left over, she should have returned it to her sister, with a promise to return the rest asap. I have been in that situation (as both borrower and lender) and done/expected excatly that!
  • On a side note I've personally been concerned when I've heard people in the queue at the supermarket kiosk buying lottery tickets or scratchcards remark that it's their benefit money/jobseekers allowance etc. Surely it can't be right that a handout to assist you in getting by on essentials is spent on gambling?

I'm with you on this. I recently had a stint of signing on (out of it now thankfully), and the majority (not a word I use lightly - I had to sit and wait for ages so did tallies in my head) of people on the dole had expensive trainers, the latest phones, talked about what was on sky, etc. Made me feel a complete mug for bothering to work!
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    I feel your situation with your mum is nothing like this scenario. Ashley loaned her sister the £30 for shopping! If there was any change left over, she should have returned it to her sister, with a promise to return the rest asap. I have been in that situation (as both borrower and lender) and done/expected excatly that!

no she shouldnt have the money was lent to the sister it is then the sister's to spend how she wishes unless ashely gave her the proviso it should have only been spent on shopping it doesent state this so theres nothing wrong with the sister buying a scratchcard
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • jamespir wrote: »
    why does that matter id dont tell you how to spend your wages so dont tell people on benefits how to spend there

I think the point here is that benefits are effectively taxpayer's money. If the people recieving them have enough excess to gamble, then they are surely getting too much and should be decreased leaving more in the pockets of those who earn it.

There is a world of difference between wages and benefits. Benefits are to ensure people don't starve, have a roof, etc. Wages are earned proportionally to improve lifestyle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure