MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you contribute to a stranger’s train ticket?

Options

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2009 at 10:27PM
    Options
    This is a tough call if your finances are really tight but - yes. If I could, I would help her. It's the right thing to do. If it was someone clearly out to blag a cheap ride who'd been 'busted' then possibly not, but I couldn't NOT at least try to help this person out and live with myself. You never know when you might face the same situation yourself.

One of my friends was once travelling across France and Germany by train. She had her purse stolen and, although she still had her ticket and travelling documents, she was understandably distraught. A chap on the train (a stranger. From Belgium, I think) bought her a drink and made sure she was OK, before helping her to report the matter to the right people. He wasn't 'making a move' on her - he was just being decent, and it meant the world to my friend Claire. It made such a difference and she was still talking about his kindness and basic, decent, humanity and how touched she was by it for ages afterwords.

A simple gesture of kindness can mean SO much. Even if it is contributing the whole £10 or just 50p to a 'whip-round' pot with the other passengers.

And, in any case, I'd feel so glad that I'd done the right thing that I would consider it money well spent.
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    This is a tough call if your finances are really tight but - yes. If I could, I would help her. It's the right thing to do. If it was someone clearly out to blag a cheap ride who'd been 'busted' then possibly not, but I couldn't NOT at least try to help this person out and live with myself. You never know when you might face the same situation yourself.

One of my friends was once travelling across France and Germany by train. She had her purse stolen and, although she still had her ticket and travelling documents, she was understandably distraught. A chap on the train (a stranger. From Belgium, I think) bought her a drink and made sure she was OK, before helping her to report the matter to the right people. He wasn't 'making a move' on her - he was just being decent, and it meant the world to my friend Claire. It made such a difference and she was still talking about his kindness and basic, decent, humanity and how touched she was by it for ages afterwords.

A simple gesture of kindness can mean SO much. Even if it is contributing the whole £10 or just 50p to a 'whip-round' pot with the other passengers.

And, in any case, I'd feel so glad that I'd done the right thing that I would consider it money well spent.

:T That is exactly why I would pay it, and why.
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was in England, then no i wouldn't cos i'm skint and i'd just think it was a bit careless of her not to get the right ticket,m even though i would sympathise.

However, because it was in a foreign country i would feel compelled to help a fellow English person, as i know it can be scary in other countries, particularly using public transport.
  • ncrossland
    Options
    You should be careful you don't get arrested for begging (seriously):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8223262.stm
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I certainly would as I would hope that if I was ever in that situation that someone would help me. Reminds me of the time when I was in New York, we were waiting for a bus and realised we didn't have any coins for the fare and I knew they wouldn't take notes. We saw the bus in the distance and were flapping a bit as we'd already waited about half an hour for it and didn't have time to run to the shop to get some change. All of a sudden the other people waiting all dug in their pockets and handed my friend and I a handful of coins, more than enough for the fare. We were gobsmacked at their kindness in helping some daft, gormless tourists so yes I definately would help someone in a similar situation.
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BeenieCat wrote: »
    If it was in England, then no i wouldn't cos i'm skint and i'd just think it was a bit careless of her not to get the right ticket,m even though i would sympathise.

However, because it was in a foreign country i would feel compelled to help a fellow English person, as i know it can be scary in other countries, particularly using public transport.

That was exactly my response. If I was abroad I'd help a fellow English traveller in distress if I possibly could.

In fact this nearly happened to my sister and I in Germany recently. We had bought a cheap day return to Cologne. We were told what platform to go to, and happily got on the train, not realising that this was a high speed intercity train, and the regional train that we needed left from the same platforn 3 minutes later. We found out when the guard inspected our tickets and told us they were not valid for that train, which was going to Cologne AIRPORT :o

It was made more difficult by the fact that we don't speak German and the guard didn't speak English. Fortunately another passenger stepped in and translated for us, and the guard was very helpful, made sure we got off at the nearest station and pointed us in the right direction for the train to take us to Cologne City. He didn't charge us extra or fine us, though I am sure he could have done. And the other passengers laughed and wished us a safe onward journey!

So yes, I definitely would help someone in that position!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • bobbledoit
    Options
    Yes I would as I was in a similar situation some years ago(1970) in Spain when I needed cash for a ferry ticket and the Spanish RAC equivalent would not advance me any money, a total stranger said " you look upset whats wrong " when I explained he gave me £40 and his address and said don't loose it. Not a dry eye in the house!!
  • chrishayton
    Options
    A fellow countryman/woman in a foreign land - its a no brainer! Of course I would and would think nothing of it!
  • ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    if i had the money on me..and i wasnt short for the day..etc

then id pay them..providing they looked trusting enough..not a person who clearly jumped the trains to avodi paying

besides to me its the good deed of the day! you feel better when you have done it
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    Ooh, good one this week, Martin. It would all come down to whether I believed them. If there was a hint of blagging about them, then no, they'd be on their own. But if they appeared to be genuinely in distress I would help them out. I live in perhaps a naive (but hopefully generous of spirit) bubble that says "what comes around, goes around", so perhaps a good deed would come my way when I'm least expecting it. It's at least a nice thought that perhaps the world might work in that way once in a while....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure