MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. How much should Nigella tip?

Options
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
How much should Nigella tip?

Gordon, Delia, Nigella and Jamie love dining out, and have just discovered their favourite restaurant offers 2for1 discount vouchers. After the next slap up meal, it's Nigella's turn to pay. Yet she dithers when it comes to leaving a tip as Jamie says it should be 10% of the total bill before the discount, Delia thinks 10% after the discount and Gordon thinks they're all mad for entertaining the idea of leaving a tip in the first place.
How much should Nigella tip?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing, tipping is outdated.
  • boopydoo
    Options
    I don't think you can have a standard rate- you have to think about each individual restaurant and the service you received.

Better service, better tip
  • nathanhill69
    nathanhill69 Posts: 217 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2009 at 11:22PM
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Nothing, tipping is outdated.

Tell that to the waiting staff who are on minimum wage and rely on tips to bring their wages up to a more reasonable level.

In answer to the dilemma - I always base my tip on the cost of the bill prior to the discount being applied. The discount is an incentive organised by the management of the restaurant to entice customers in and therefore that discounted cost is between you the restaurants management. The waiting staff have done no less work and if the service was good then they shouldn't be personally penalised due to this promotion. Also, for heaven sakes, you've just had a discounted meal so show a little generosity - the meal was still cheaper than it should have been even with a proper tip - there's money saving and there's being a miserable skin flint.
    boopydoo wrote: »

Better service, better tip

I'd agree with that sentiment.
  • jsknight100
    Options
    Nothing I think that tipping is deeming both to the giver & the recipient. Everybody should be in-titled to a fair days pay without relying on tips! I have never understood why we are expected to tip hairdressers, taxis & waiters why them & not doctors or gardeners or bus drivers?
  • barnaby-bear
    Options
    Tell that to the waiting staff who are on minimum wage and rely on tips to bring their wages up to a more reasonable level.
    Should I tip the min. wage staff in the pub? In poundland? The clarks shoe girl? My kid's nursery assistant? The bus driver? The carer who wipes my great uncle's bum?
    Actually loads of them have a less pleasant work environment than a restaurant.

I do tip in restaurants if it's presentable, friendly service but now I'm thinking - should I?
  • hullight
    Options
    As is said in Reservoir Dogs - why do people feel the need to tip a server in, say, Pizza Express but not in McDonalds?

(us McDonalds staff aren't actually allowed to receive tips, and we probably earn less than most people in positions deemed tip-worthy)
  • nathanhill69
    Options
    Should I tip the min. wage staff in the pub? In poundland? The clarks shoe girl? My kid's nursery assistant? The bus driver? The carer who wipes my great uncle's bum?
    Actually loads of them have a less pleasant work environment than a restaurant.

It's a fair point you have. However tipping restaurant waiting staff is just the norm and until such time that this system is universally blown out of the water, say with an obligatory service charge added onto your bill, then it would seem churlish to rage a one man campaign in denying the waiting staff their tip. I don't tip automatically but if throughout a meal I've been well looked after by the waiting staff then, I feel, a tip is a fair addition to the cost of an evening / lunchtime out.
  • little_acorn_2
    Options
    If the meal and service was really good they should ask if staff actually get the tip, and if they do, then give 15% on the discounted bill in cash.
  • nathanhill69
    Options
    If the meal and service was really good they should ask if staff actually get the tip, and if they do, then give 15% on the discounted bill in cash.

I always ask this question and generally make a point of tipping in cash unless I've been caught short on having real money in my pocket.
  • goldcd
    goldcd Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everybody should be in-titled to a fair days pay without relying on tips! I have never understood why we are expected to tip hairdressers, taxis & waiters why them & not doctors or gardeners or bus drivers?

Because part of their salary is expected to come from tips - that's the simple reason.
    They accepted a lower salary, and you therefore paid a smaller bill, in the hope that you'd leave a tip. If there were no tips, then I'd assume many wait-staff would just take the best paid job they could. Got to be something to be said for taking a lower wage and hoping you do a job well enough to be recognized for your effort.
    Actually loads of jobs have some sort of performance related element - it's just normally it comes from the employer, rather than the customer. Your GP gets a many bonuses for meeting all kinds of targets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure