BE SIMON COWELL!! : Earn cash from rating new music

Hi,
I don't believe this has been mentioned before, so thought it might be worth putting a new thread in.

Got a bit of spare time? Like new music of ALL genres?

I was approached via my MySpace page to join this new(ish) venture, which basically lets you earn cash for listening, and rating songs by unsigned bands. I'm actually interested in new music, love listening out for new bands, and have a wide ranging taste in music, so this suits me as a bit of a hobby/past-time.

The aim of the site is to help bands raise cash to fund recording their first album, and lets 'fans' invest in them to help do that. Scouts can even put some money into a band if they think they might do well, and can earn money from their success.

Here's an excerpt from their website :

www.slicethepie.com

Slicethepie turns every music fan into a record label. Earn money right now scouting for new talent, support your favourite bands by voting in Showcases and finance artists you think will be successful. Over time trade in and out of artists to build your own portfolio and make money in the process.

You begin by being a 1 star rated Scout, and the theory is that the more bands you listen to and rate, the higher your Scout Rating, and the more cash you earn per listen and rate. It starts at 5p per listen, and you have to listen to a minimum of 60 seconds of each track before you can rate them. I spent a couple of hours doing this, rather than watching boring TV, rated 34 songs and earnt myself £1.90; I'm already up to a 2 start rated scout which now earns me 10p per rated track. The higher your rating the more you earn per reviewed track.

I thought it was worth a dabble, and was quite interesting - there is some great music on there, but OMG there was some bad stuff too! I soon slipped into Simon Cowell mode and didn't feel any qualms at being totally honest with my scathing comments - like don't give up your day job!
One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home

Comments

• lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • This is great fun! Thank you! I love music so this is an ideal way to find out about new artists. I have earnt 5p already! Haha! How do they pay? Through PayPal? Thanks again for posting this!
    :money:
  • tpsaver
    tpsaver Posts: 59 Forumite
    jessicann wrote: »
    How do they pay? Through PayPal?

Read their FAQ, it says that the money you earn goes into your slicethepye account, which looks to me like you can only spend your earnings on their site, ie investing in bands. No mention of paypal or any other payment methods at all.
  • KizzyK_2
    KizzyK_2 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Is all payment processing secure?
    Yes, all payment processing is carried out through our payment processing partner Datacash. Datacash is a major public company and a world leader in secure online payment processing.

Good post sarymclary :)
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• I did read their FAQ. But on my 'Account Settings' however, it says 'Withdrawal (PayPal)'. :o So I think you can use PayPal? :confused:
  • tpsaver
    tpsaver Posts: 59 Forumite
    Sorry, my mistake, that was just my interpretation of the FAQ. They aught to make their FAQ more clear. :o
  • I agree! But other than that's it's great! :j
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, I signed up to this earlier this evening & had it playing in a 2nd window whilst inputting my MS results, I managed to review 14 tracks & earn 70p whilst doing something else at the same time! To be honest most of the tracks seemed mediocre but there were a couple of interesting ones. So far nothing I would want to rush out & buy though.

Anyone know how many we have to review to get up to the next level?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just joined and love it. I'm doing the decent thing and listening to the whole track before passing comment. I'm more into electronic music, but I've enough to entertain me so far. The first track was a bit of a dull singer songwriter thing, but the 2nd had me smiling and thinking "John Peel would like it".
    Happy chappy
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    i have been a member for some time and its only the post tonight that resumed my interest.....there was a grest song on froma guy called neville k called layed my body down i give him 5 star
    need to have a lightbulb moment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport