Conservatory roof- change to tiled?

We have exchanged contracts on a house we are buying which has a conservatory across the back of the lounge with a flat polycarbonate roof. The conservatory has a very low wall with double glazed windows to one long wall and a DG door on one short wall. The other long wall is the lounge wall (which we are fitting with french doors to access the conservatory from the lounge as well as present access from kitchen) and the other short wall is a solid wall to a store room.

Vendors say the conservatory can get so hot that it's not possible to sit in it at times (faces SW towards the sea). OH says that because of extremes of temperature (hot in summer, cold in winter) it wont be possible to put the computer in there.

At the moment we are disagreeing about what to do with this roof. I am thinking long term regarding maintenance of a polycarb roof - cleaning and possible leaks in the future, we are over 60 and wont be as physically capable of doing so much as time goes on.

I'm wondering about replacing the polycarb roof with a slate roof to match the slate roof of the kitchen extension (it will continue along the full width of back of the property and look better balanced IMO) and think of it as a garden room. OH says losing the light from the conservatory roof will make it dark. I'm saying paint ceiling white and put spots in.

Kitchen extension roof will have to be re-slated anyway as the pitch is too shallow and building control officer says to re-slate with a bigger overhang on the slates to prevent any rain blowing under slates.

I think a proper slate roof will then make it a more usable room all year round, there's already CH radiator in there so could possibly put the computer in and maybe even a second TV.

The house is still on agent's website at the moment and is to have major refurb including the loft which will end up with a larger, more balanced dormer across the roof with three windows. I think carrying the slate roof across the kitchen and conservatory (if it's possible) will balance the look of the house (I think it's quite ugly at the moment).

What does anyone think? You can tell me it's ugly if you like, it wont upset me :rotfl:

Comments

• the conservatory frames were designed to take the weight of polycarb roof .very much doubt that they would stand up to the weight of slate roof which is far heavier.unless you can fit a lintel between the walls to help stop the frames spreading
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not sure it will be as easy as that.

A roof weighs a huge amount and the conservatory may have only had the most shallow of footings to support the walls. Also, the frame may buckle under the weight too.

Have a chat to the local building control department in the council about it. They may insist on checking the depth of the footings and there will be building regulations to adhere to.

Why not see if it's possible to change the polycarbonate to a glass that reflects the sunlight back? There's been a lot of developments in conservatory glass over the last few years and it might be the less expensive option. If you can find a good manufacturer and installer of these type of glass units it might be a cheaper option that a slate roof.

Also, do you have thermal blinds in the roof to reflect the heat back and an overhead fan to keep the air circulating?
    "carpe that diem"
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Change those big windows to a different type of window? Ones where the whole window openes outwards,that way you would get alot more air flow?
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would consider 2 options together:
    1 - as you said, a false ceiling with spotlights, but first whitewash the glass/poly that will be blocked off to reduce UV damage to cabling, etc.
    2 - fit heat-sensitive openers to windows if they're available, much like the type you get on posh greenhouses to regulate temperature, to keep it comfortable when in use during the summer. (A quick google came up with http://www.greenhousebits.com/showdetails.asp?id=1152 )

To get the best look, you might find recycled plastic slate tiles a good alternative - approx half the weight of traditional. http://www.lowimpact.org/acatalog/roofing_materials.html
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • http://www.gap.uk.com/conservatories.php
    try ringing these regarding air conditioning units with list price of £525 plus vat for a fully integrated unit i would say that would be your cheapest option.regarding putting glass in the roof the roof spars were designed for polycarb so may not take the weight of glass which would mean replacing the whole roof
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • rando
    rando Posts: 68 Forumite
    I too have been pursuing the idea of replacing our polycarb conservatory roof with a tiled roof but have come to the conclusion that it is not possible. I have therefore decided to replace the roof with a completly new glass roof using the self clean glass and aargon gas filled units. The main reason for wanting to replace my polycarb roof was to allow all year use of the conservatory. The main problem for us was the cold in the winter months. We currently heat it with 2 oil filled heaters but even then it does feel chilly some times. We also considered under floor heating but this was deemed too expensive to run having spoken to various people that already had it. So along with the new glass roof i am also going to be fitting one of these air con units to hopefully keep it warm in winter and cool in the summer. I know the glass roof and air con unit is an expensive option but hopefully it will give us a conservatory that can be used all year and is still cheaper than knocking it down and building a proper brick extension.
    :footie: Rando
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone. Some food for thought there. Hadn't thought about the weight of a slate roof :o but knew it would have to have the proper framework for it to be pitched like the kitchen.

We are in a conservation area so have to be careful but will speak to the building control officer when he next visits. He and the planning officer are very helpful and as it's a small community it's all very friendly. I think it was the building control officer who originally said it would look nice with a slate roof (and got me thinking). Anyway he has to come and sign off the works for the kitchen extension from 1995 so will have a chat with him then. Council had to stop the construction as vendor hadn't applied for building regs :eek: so vendor then didn't get any inspections done during construction or got it signed off. All other extensions were 'illegal' but as over 10 years old planning officer said they wont do anything about them so no worries there.

The conservatory was built in 2004 and the vendor apparently laid the foundations himself and used Anglian for the conservatory but unfortunately all paperwork has been "lost" - as is the case for most of the stuff for this house (it has been a nightmare purchase) but at least building reg approval was sought in this case. The only paperwork we have is for Thos. Sanderson blinds for the conservatory, must have cost them a fortune as pleated roof blinds are electric with matching blinds to all windows and they are pink and we might not even keep them.

The loft conversion is having to be rebuilt as it is structurally unsound (vendor removed supports from roof and laid floor on 3 x 2s) but that is being addressed and a builder coming on Saturday to discuss.

There's a lot of refurb work to be done so a bit more expenditure to make the conservatory more useful might be worthwhile in the long run.
  • In true mse fashion, I do hope the price you paid for the house reflects the poor standard of work.

I find it hard to understand the logic of someone willing to pay out handsomely for electric conservatory blinds but balk at the expense of doing work properly and having it signed off by the proper authorities!

TomsMom - I do hope, with all this refurbishing to do, that you like a challenge!
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In true mse fashion, I do hope the price you paid for the house reflects the poor standard of work.

I find it hard to understand the logic of someone willing to pay out handsomely for electric conservatory blinds but balk at the expense of doing work properly and having it signed off by the proper authorities!

TomsMom - I do hope, with all this refurbishing to do, that you like a challenge!

Oh yes paddy's mum - I really do like a challenge and this will be quite exciting as we're virtually starting from scratch. Everything is to go in every room in the house!

And yes, we had a handsome reduction. Originally agreed £190,00 and then had a futher £30,000 knocked off for the loft problem so well happy with the outcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure