The house and parents in care home

Hi all
We have a situation at the moment where both parents may need a care home.
I live in the house too, and always have done. I was born there
Would i loose my home if they had to go into care and sell the house to pay for costs??
The house is worth around 100.000 and they have savings of 30000.
I am on a debt management pan with low income as i care for them.
The house will be left to.my sister eventually as if i own it, it may be taken to pay my debts.
Could the house be gifted over to my sister early to let me live in the only home i have known

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Afraid it's too late to gift , will be deprivation of assets.

Looking at the criteria you are not a mandatory disregard so the property and assets can be used

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-a-care-home/do-i-have-to-sell-my-home-to-pay-for-care/#
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If one parent goes into a care home and the other remains in the house then it will be disregarded. If both go into a home then the property will need to be sold to pay for their care. The only way that you will be able to remain in the property is if you are either disabled or a pensioner yourself. There is nothing your parents can do to try to preserve an inheritance and expect the State to pick up the bill for their care.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The house will only be taken into account if both parents have to go into care. If you remain in the home with one of them until you reach 60 then the house would be disregarded if the remaining pArent had to go into care.

On another point, do your parents wills give you the right to remain in the home after your sister inherits? You may trust her to let you stay but there are a lot of things that can happen and leave you homeless without a lifetime trust in place.

Why is the house left solely to your sister? I know why you are left out, but would it not have been better to leave your half to your son?
  • eastofeden
    eastofeden Posts: 225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You posted a very similar scenario in January 2016 and were given good advice then. I’m at a loss to understand how, three years later, you are asking more or less the same question.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hadn't seen that.

Probably hoped the rules had changed.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    eastofeden wrote: »
    You posted a very similar scenario in January 2016 and were given good advice then. I’m at a loss to understand how, three years later, you are asking more or less the same question.
    How odd.

OP
    You were advised in that thread to read up on Deprivation of Assets.
    Did you do so at that time?
    If not, you should do so now.

Looking back through your older threads, the issue of where you stand regarding the house you currently live in has been on the horizon for some years - for varying reasons.
  • blokes2
    blokes2 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Yes it has been an issue for variying reasons bit originally it was just theoretical then it was due to my debt now my mum has been taken ill and i am full time carer. My Dad lives in the house too but does not need so much care.
    So i was just after advice if the situàtion gets worse
    We resolved the original question about rhe house by changing the will for it to go to my sister
    As i do not want any assets
    I
    My sister is sole bebeficiary i have no children
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    blokes2 wrote: »
    Yes it has been an issue for variying reasons bit originally it was just theoretical then it was due to my debt now my mum has been taken ill and i am full time carer. My Dad lives in the house too but does not need so much care.
    So i was just after advice if the situàtion gets worse
    We resolved the original question about rhe house by changing the will for it to go to my sister
    As i do not want any assets
    I
    My sister is sole bebeficiary i have no children
    But you got advice in this thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5399009
    The post below from that thread specifically addresses your question about what would happen to the house if both your parents went into care homes.
    If one of the parents had to go in to a care home, the house would be disregarded as long as it was occupied by the remaining parent.

If you are under the age of 18 (or a pensioner yourself) or have a disability, then the home would still be disregarded if both parents needed residential care. Even if you are between 18 & 65 and in good health, the LA has the discretion to disregard the property if it is your only home.
    Things have not changed since 2016.
    The rules on Deprivation of Assets still applies.

I do not know how any LA would view your situation.
    But it doesn't look that good to me.

Your parents may have changed their will so that the house goes to your sister on their deaths so any inheritance you may have got will not be taken for your debts but you cannot be 100% sure that your sister will not turf you out on your ear when the house is hers.

Deaths, family and money can sometimes be a toxic mix.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    blokes2 wrote: »

If your parents did not want to leave a life interest in the house to you (so that the sister would be unable to turf you out until you died or left) then it is clear that you will have to be prepared to move out at some point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure