PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Organising a linen cupboard

Options

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Shocking revelation - I don't iron my bedding. Ever.
    Gers wrote: »
    Me neither - don't iron anything. Hang the bed linen properly and it's fine. The idea of spending half an hour ironing duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases smooth which are then get creased in five minutes of use is pointless. :j
    tealady wrote: »
    Same here.
    Life is too short. ;)

ugh, that's clarty, wont be sleeping in your beds then.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    No, that's quite right, you won't! :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Don't you end up with horribly creased duvets covers?

Buy clear plastic boxes to stack.

I don't iron bedding except for pillowcases. I fold the duvet add the fitted sheet also folded and a pillowcase and put these inside a pillowcase that matches the duvetcover. I have single and double covers and these stack in 2 boxes on the 2 shelves in myairing cupboard.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

No, that's quite right, you won't! :rotfl:

take it that's us finished then? :T
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But it feels so much nicer when freshly ironed, especially the pillowcases.

Not enough to merit the fuss, and personally I prefer a flat sheet & hospital corners. A little more effort, but no wrinkles or bickerings, just smooth clean sheeting. Bliss!

Please not Plastic Boxes for storing linen - anything nasty is sealed in and anything not dry has the opportunity to mould for too long before it's noticeable. Pillowcases are much more convenient & easier to replace & even more eco-friendly. As well as being cheaper to replace as needed.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Hi,

take it that's us finished then? :T

Yep - 'fraid so! Not even George Clooney could persuade me to iron sheets (although I'd quite like it if he tried ...)
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2019 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Yep - 'fraid so! Not even George Clooney could persuade me to iron sheets (although I'd quite like it if he tried ...)

Surely what you have in mind with George would make ironing sheets a waste of time! :rotfl:

On a more serious note, I have plastic baskets for my pillowcases but is there any way you could put in extra shelves so that you don't have to pile up so much on each one? :)

FWIW, I iron pillowcases occasionally but never sheets or duvet covers except for my guest room where I have a special set of bedding.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I have a huge airing cupboard, all of 20 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. I stop it turning into a mare's nest by segregating the stuff - sheets in one pile, for example.

Smaller things like tea towels, face flannels, pillowcases etc are coralled into cotton drawstring bags, with a cardboard label on each one saying what's in it. Written in pencil, to avoid accidental ink transfer onto textiles.

Towels are rolled and stacked like logs. I find this makes it easy to extract whichever one I want without disarranging the rest.

I don't have matching sets of bedlinen, but would use the pillowcase method if I did.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

And it really does not take half an hour to wave an iron over a set of bedlinen.

Cotton needs much more than an iron being waved over it! Double duvet, double sheets, four pillow cases... I have much better use for my time.

As I said, the feeling only lasts for five minutes, at the most.

Each to their own...and my bed is my own.

:rotfl:
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

And it really does not take half an hour to wave an iron over a set of bedlinen.

I consider that type of housework to be work.
    And I retired years ago.
    (the rest is just tidying up) :D
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure