Passengers missing out on up to £100 million of train delay compensation every year - MSE News

Rail passengers could be missing out on up to £100 million of delay compensation each year, the transport watchdog has found...
Read the full story:
'Passengers missing out on up to £100 million of train delay compensation every year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It would be interesting to see what proportion of reasons were behind this...
    • Didn't know they could claim
    • Couldn't be bothered to claim
    • Claimed and gave up when train co sent back a nonsense answer first time round
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • If the amount is small eg under £3 and you have to fill out a lenghy form, upload the ticked scan online, then get a voiucher that you have to go to the station and wait in the queue to exchange for cash I am not surprised people are not bothered.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Many are unaware, many find it too complicated. Try getting a refund when using an annual local transport exec season ticket.

Delay repay should be through one portal run by one organisation. Enter travel detail, ticket reference numbers and the delay. It shouldn't be difficult, but fragmentation of railways means it is.
  • NBLondon
    If the amount is small eg under £3 and you have to fill out a lenghy form, upload the ticked scan online, then get a voiucher that you have to go to the station and wait in the queue to exchange for cash I am not surprised people are not bothered.
    Does anybody still only offer the vouchers? SouthEastern offer me PayPal (which I take) or bank transfer. Since I'm on a season travel card - I can just keep using the same screenshot as evidence and 5 mins of formfilling. Is it worth it for £3? Borderline to be honest but on principle I expect them to pay up. If it goes to 15 minute delay this autumn then I expect to make more claims - I hit a 20 minute delay a couple of times a month.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    NBLondon wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what proportion of reasons were behind this...
    • Didn't know they could claim
    • Couldn't be bothered to claim
    • Claimed and gave up when train co sent back a nonsense answer first time round
    Its strange that people miss "Did not think it appropriate to claim.". Sometimes one can sympathise with the transport operator.
    It is a poor reflection on modern humanity.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its strange that people miss "Did not think it appropriate to claim.". Sometimes one can sympathise with the transport operator.
    It is a poor reflection on modern humanity.

I claimed the compensation last time as it is free money.

However, the delays is caused by someone want to jump to the rail, which is out of the operator control.
    It is not fair to them IMO
  • NBLondon
    SouthEastern have announced this morning that they will have to ruin a reduced service tomorrow as the excessive heat affects the track and slows trains. In the same announcement, they say that you should claim if delayed...
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    SouthEastern have announced this morning that they will have to ruin a reduced service tomorrow as the excessive heat affects the track and slows trains.

Freudian slip? :D
  • NBLondon
    Announcements this morning to the effect of don't travel if you don't have to (when we're already on the train) and allegedly only a 50% service this afternoon. I think I was right... And I will be claiming if eligible.

Another thought - there have been occasions in the last few years when SE have been giving out Costa or Starbucks gift cards (£3) at the station the morning after a big problem. Given that's more then the £2.60 a claim would get me - perhaps brian is right - some people take that instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure